De-winterizing

Dave

Traveling Two
Last fall while winterizing my 2009 Sundance 3300SK, I attempted to use the siphon hose and onboard water pump to circulate antifreeze throughout the water lines. This didn't work because the hose had a 90 degree bend at the pump blocking the antifreeze from circulating. The location of the water pump prevents me from getting to it to repair this bend. To get antifreeze into the water lines I poured about three gallons into the fresh water tank and then used the onboard water pump, pumped the fluid throughout the water lines. What happenied was the antifreeze came gushing out the city water connection and no antifreeze went into any of the water lines. I ended up blowing the air out with a compressor which I my opinion has limited sucess. Yesterday I poured several gallons of fresh water into the fresh water tank in an attempt to clean the tank of antifreeze. Uponing turning on the pump I had the same issue, water coming out the city water connection, which was no surprise to me. My question is what is going on? Why when I have fluids in the fresh water tank and turning on the onboard watre pump the fluids come out the city connection? Thanks for your assistance. Happy camping and be safe!!

SmokeyBare

Dave,

The City water port should have a check valve inside... it should be closed with the assist of a spring. The pressure caused by the on board water pump should push against this check valve.

You need to look closely at that water connection... to see if the valve is stuck open... if there is no pressure on the water system...this valve should be able to move in and out by pressing it with your finger... If the valve is missing... then you need to replace the water connection.

Boca_Shuffles

On the road fix:

I had the same problem from another manufacturer. Turns out that I didn't manually depress the spring valve with my finger to let some of the anti-freeze escape out the city water connection when I winterized. This damaged the little spring mechanism. This may have happened with a frozen water hose from the RV park spigot also.

To fix the problem on the road, I got a plastic garden hose attachment with a turn off knob and attached it to the city water connection. Cost was about $1.25. It allowed me to use my fresh water tank until I could get an official replacement part from the manufacturer.