Bighorn or Everest by Keystone

8e3k0

Looking at two units with the same floor plan and would like any comments as to whats good and what we would have to look out for.
The one unit is a 2006 3600RL Bighorn and the other is a 2007 Keystone Everest 344J. Both are nice and well taken care of.
We are also contemplating on going new ie the 2010 Bighorn 3600RE. Any advice would be really appreciated. Ellis

jimtoo

Hi Ellis,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum, and hopefully to the Heartland Family.

I moved your post to a different place, "Bighorn-Prospective Owners". You should get lots of responses here.

I hope you get the information you want to make you a Bighorn owner. Of course I'm a little biased because I own a Bighorn 3055RL and we love it. The quality of construction is great and the factory backup is really good. The factory does monitor a few places on the forum and if you have a problem, there are lots of great people on the forum with advice and help if needed.

Jim M

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Our good camping buddys have an 06 Everest, we have an 08 BH (really an 07).
No more issues in one over the other. That being said, we have solid wood frames on our cabinets, they have had issues with the vinyl wrapped stiles on theirs (fixed under warranty). We probably have 1/3 again as much storage space in the compartments as they do. We have bigger holding tanks.
All that taken into consideration, if we weren't still eating some negative equity that got rolled into the new loan, I'd sure buy the 2010 if they still made our floorplan. Several more options or features that we would like. Power electric cord reel for one, and the new baggage doors for two.
That's as close as I can get to comparing the two side by side. :) Hope it helps.

Shadowchek

We looked hard at an everest and a Keystone challenger. We found the Bighorn to have more storage and The biggest difference I could find was the drawers. On the Keystone products they had the cheep single runner down the middle with a plastic piece holding on to the runner. We saw a used 2006 everest With several broken drawer glides. The big horns have the full extension drawer glides that seem to be much sturdier. When you pull out the large bedroom dresser drawers they come out straight not moving from side to side like the keystones. On our last fifth wheel ,a Dutchman, we constantly fought with the cabinet latches and drawer glides so when we seen the broken ones on the Everest and how the bedroom drawers came out unevenly we couldn't get out of the Everest fast enough. It was Heartland all the way from there.

Greg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
8e3kO, like other posters above we also looked at the Everest. If you look closely at the two you will know why we went with the Bighorn. One thing mentioned above is the extra storage. That is due to the redisigned dropped front end. I do not believe that was available in the 2006 model so don't expect the extra room there on that one. Now, if I were in your shoes, because I like a lot of the things on the new ones, I would take a close look at a 2010. Hope to see a post in the near future telling us that you are a new Heartland owner.
Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When we were buying like others we looked at many 5th wheels. The overall appearance, fit & finish, available options, bang for the buck and our dealer lead us to the Bighorn. As for the Everest, it was the cabinets lacking hardwood, drawer glides, the color of the cabinets in the 2006 model year and the heavier weight. Heartland just had a darn nice 5th wheel for the money.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi 8e3K0,
We love our 2009 3400RE and I can bet the new version 2010 3600RE must be incredible. I would consider the major changes they have already made since I bought my rig. The new 2009 3410RE added the pop up TV and a rear window. Sleepless was selling his with 5,000 miles on it if you check items for sale. I saw it up front and personal at the Las Vegas rally last year and its awesome.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
The wife and I looked at literally hundrends of units from all brands before we went with Heartland. We love our '09 3600RE. I do not think you can go wrong with Heartland no matter which model you decide to buy.

grizzlygiant

I am a very happy two-time owner of new Heartland's. We just sold our 3400RL in favor of a smaller 2800 Sundance. Before both purchases we looked carefully at Keystone products; on the surface the products looked similar but as you looked more closely at the quality of materials and the fit/finish Heartland was the clear winner. The clinch factor was comparing the resolution by the manufacturer of the inevitable gliches. Just go to the Keystone owners forum and read the multitude of complaints against Keystone warranry response. Sure, Heartland has a few but thanks to Jim B. and the factory participation on this forum problems to get resolved.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
My brother-in-law and his wife have a Everest just a little smaller than our 3670RL. After they came and looked at our trailer, I asked if they would buy theirs all over again or if they would choose ours instead. They said they would choose ours.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
We have had i think 5 rv's in 9 years or so. Heartland products will give you more bang for the buck from the front to the rear of the rv. Cabinets & drawers, slam baggage doors with locks that only you have a key to, huge storage compartment, built in vacuum system that is real handy and worth the extra money, wow factor when you walk in one, it has quality. Other rv'ers want your rv when they see it and would trade for it in a second. Ok, i'm biased a lot i guess......
Huge amount of kitchen counter tops and a 14 cubic ft. Ref. With ice maker is the main 2 reasons we went with the bighorn, 3670rl. Also a great floor plan which is becoming standard by all the other brands.

The Mrs, and I bought our 3670 in Jan 2008. We are both working full time but take her out on weekends as much as schedule permits. We are going on our 17th trip (anniversary weekend) next week. We looked at RVs for 20 months prior to buying. I would bet we walked through over 500 RVs (the short list more than once per unit). Every weekend we take that baby out within 1 hour after being set up Mrs. Born looks around and says" I love my camper", and she smiles and sinks into the recliner or loses a game of cribbage. My vote went with and remains with the Bighorn, and yes I went through dozens of Keystone rigs.