28BHS Custom?

Kraythe

I was thinking of getting the 31QBS but I am having trouble getting over concerns about the tongue weight so I was also looking at the 28BHS but there are some things I definitely dont like and I was wondering if they could be customized.

[1] Doors to the master bedroom. No curtains please. I need some privacy with my lady.

[2] Back bunks queen with an overhead twin. I cant see how this would work well with a 4 year old daughter and a 13 year old son. My son would probably want the top but it seems odd. If you could put in double bunks and a door instead it would be better.

Can such customizations be made or is the floorplan just set in stone. Also if such customizations are made will I basically be paying MSRP for everything?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Typically Heartland does not do those types of requests but for a better answer you will have to talk to a Heartland representative. By all means these modifications can be done after you take delivery. There are many competent outfits out there to do them.

Good luck,
Mark

RVCamper

Can you post your axle ratings, and max weight distributed tongue weight for your F-150?

As as start, assuming a 900 lbs tongue weight (13% of 6900#). My weight may be more or less. My truck rear axle weight from a CAT scale is about 4,000 lbs (on my Navigator with the trailer loaded and passengers). I have an extra battery, however, your hitch will make that weight up and more.

How does that compare to your truck's capacity?

Kraythe

Can you post your axle ratings, and max weight distributed tongue weight for your F-150?

As as start, assuming a 900 lbs tongue weight (13% of 6900#). My weight may be more or less. My truck rear axle weight from a CAT scale is about 4,000 lbs (on my Navigator with the trailer loaded and passengers). I have an extra battery, however, your hitch will make that weight up and more.

How does that compare to your truck's capacity?

I weighed the truck (full tank of gas and no passengers) with the following results: F:3280# + R:2500# = Total: 5780

According to the Ford Towing Guide for my truck with 7200# PKG, 145" WB, 5.4L, 3.55 Axle 5.5ft bed ,Supercrew

GCWR = 15,500#
Max Trailer Wt: 9,700#
GAWR= F3750# / R3850#
GVWR= 7200#

Fully Loaded trailer and truck would be 7200# + 6900# = 14,100#
So well within GCWR.

So what will the hitch do to moderate the tongue weight? I was under the impression that tongue weight was tongue weight regardless of WD Hitch.

We Love our set up

We have a 03 Cadillac Escalade, Tow rating of 8100 #'s I have pulled mine with full load of water and all the gear, 4 Kids and myself and wife. I have a 1000/10,000lb. Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch. Pulls with little effort. I also have a 08 Toyota Tundra that I use when the whole family is not travailing. The TT pulls great with both set-ups.
Two years ago I was pulling SOB with a Dodge Durango The unit did not have the wide trac system and it pulled OK. Not as well as our QBS. After hitting a piece of steal left behind by a carnival ride. We lost the Durango and the old TT. Hard to hold on to a TT with three tires. I would love to have a One Ton TV but cant do it. If I felt my current set-up was unsafe I would.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I weighed the truck (full tank of gas and no passengers) with the following results: F:3280# + R:2500# = Total: 5780

According to the Ford Towing Guide for my truck with 7200# PKG, 145" WB, 5.4L, 3.55 Axle 5.5ft bed ,Supercrew

GCWR = 15,500#
Max Trailer Wt: 9,700#
GAWR= F3750# / R3850#
GVWR= 7200#

Fully Loaded trailer and truck would be 7200# + 6900# = 14,100#
So well within GCWR.

So what will the hitch do to moderate the tongue weight? I was under the impression that tongue weight was tongue weight regardless of WD Hitch.
The WD hitch will distribute some of the weight to the front axle of the TV, via the frame. That helps level the vehicle/trailer and keep your front tires on the road. Your dealer should set it up for you when you take delivery. The tongue weight is important relative to your TV and it's frame mounted hitch receiver's ability to handle it. Should be a tag right near the receiver that gives the allowable tongue weights with or without a WD hitch. With a WD hitch, you can handle a higher tongue weight.

We pulled a 5500# TT with a Chevy Avalanche, essentially a 1500 series truck. You will need the WD hitch.

RVCamper

Looking at your current truck weight on the rear axle verses the capacity, and the potential for a 1000 tonque weight, you look to be within all your key weights. Transfering some weight with WD, it looks even better.

Other folks ... thoughts

Interesting that your F150 has a lower rear axle rating than my Navigator. But it does weigh A Lot!

Last edited:

irvin56

here's my numbers

Thread: My Truck and Trailer Weights
View Single Post #12 //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/report.gif
//heartlandowners.org/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 04-28-2008
irvin56 //heartlandowners.org/images/statusicon/user_online.gif
My location Join Date: Mar 2008

//heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon1.gif 31qbs pull trailer
My weights were empty front 2820 rear 2280 lbs total 5100

with trailer 5th link front 2820 rear 2920 trailer 5280 total 11020 lbs

on 6th link front 2720 rear 3080 trailer 5220 total 11020

I will pull on 5th link as it is level and does not take weight off steering axle

trailer weight 5920 lbs

gm canada told me my cgvw is 12,000 lbs
This gives me about 1,000 lbs to load my grub and cloths.

These numbers I posted earlier, As you can see by just adjusting one link in chain will put weight on one axle and remove weight from another one. The ront axle changes as does the rear and trailer axles also with each adjustment.
That is why it's important to weight unit at a few different links.
I also drove off scale, readjusted and then drove around parking lot a few laps to settle down the adjustment before weighting again. One guy stopped me and asked if I was lost???
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/progress.gif //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/edit.gif //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/quote.gif​

irvin56View Public ProfileSend a private message to irvin56Send email to irvin56Find all posts by irvin56Add irvin56 to Your Contacts