adding leaf spring or bags or timbrens

patrick1945

I have purchased a new heavier FW and need to add leaf springs, air bags or timbrens. The tow vehicle is a 2007 GMC Classic LBZ regular bed crew cab.

The new FW gives me a STEER AXLE WEIGHT OF 4640, DRIVE AXLE OF 6160 AND A TRAILER AXLE OF 10,100 for a total of 20,900. The loaded truck alone has a steer of 4600 and a drive of 3260.

The wife and I only ride in the truck when towing PERIOD.

What is your experience?

Pat

Taz Devil

I went with the timbrens because they were easy to install and there is no maintenance to do on them. You will hear a lot of different reasons and opinions about what to use. You have to decide what is best for you in your situation.

HRAI

Hi Pat,

I went with Timbrens. The first set I got did not have any clearance between the axle and the Timbren which made for a realy rough ride. I called the company and they sent me new ones with a 1.25" space. The Timbrens realy helped. They helped get rid of a lot of chucking and make for a smooth ride with the truck either loaded or not.

Guy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've had firestone air bags and with the exception of adding and or lowering air pressure as needed, they are my choice for the best ride in both conditions. As you've said, you only use the truck for towing. I have never had any experience with timbrens but adding a leaf would cause the truck to have a stiffer ride when not towing.

mike3fan

I went with Timbrens, because of the ease of installation and not having to adjust air pressures between towing and not. But as stated I think both are good choices just gotta find what works best for you.

dewwood

Air bags are probably the best choice but they are quite a bit more money than the Timbrens. I put the Timbrens on my 3/4 T Chevy and you never know they are there when empty and when loaded the truck squats about 1 to 2 inches and stops. The ride is better than before I put them on. If money is not and issue then air bags if it is then check out the Timbrens. I got my Timbrens from Truck Spring in MI and I think with paying my mechanic $25 to install them I had just over $200 invested. They are not that difficult to install but he has a hoist which makes it real easy and for $25 I could not complain.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I recently put Timbrens on my GMC 3500 dually. Unloaded, there's about an inch of clearance. Recently, with the trailer on, the Timbren's were compressed against the axle. Ride was very good. Did the install myself on the driveway, did not need to remove the wheels or jack up the truck.

sferreira

Hello Patrick, If money is not an issue, i would go with air bags. One of the benefit is to allow for height adjustment and leveling. This allow you to balance trailer axles and ensure they both carry the same weight. I currently have Firestone air bags, as an example i have the following weight repartition on trailer axles: 30lbs in bags, 3278lbs front axles, 3234lbs. 35lbs in bags, 3256lbs front axles, 3256lbs. 40lbs in bags, 3124lbs front axles, 3344lbs. S.