First "trip" report

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We just got back from our first "trip" with the new 3670. Overall, it was a successful shake-down and a pleasant experience. Even if the weather turned on us and it was cold (low 30's/upper 20's at night) and wet.

Furnace works great! We ran it the entire time, Monday afternoon through this morning. All floor ducts were pumping heat, although the ones in the rear take a while to push the cold air out. The bedroom and bath, however, were toasty. I brought along a table top 1500W electric heater/fan, which helped in the living area. Might have been better with dual pane windows, but we didn't special order this rig.

No problem with the water heater on electric only. Hot water quickly and maintained. Did not put in on LP. Did notice a lower pressure at the kitchen sink for both hot and cold. Removed the spring loaded valve in the sprayer and it improved a little. Tried to pry the hole restrictor out, too, but it wouldn't budge. Need to get a smaller tool and try again. Without the sprayer attached to the water line, the pressure was very good, though.

On the down side, I found I have the Heartland Signature Shower Stall Leak. Fortunately, I was testing for it, not actually taking a shower. Need to get some silicone caulk and redo the seal.

I also found that the window box treatments in the living area are garbage. Doesn't take much to dislodge the myriad of 1/4" staples that hold the inner panel to the outer. Once they're out, they're out. My fix will be to pull them all out and reattach with fabric glue. If that doesn't work, I'll rip the !#%$?? things out and redo them with wood.

All other mechanical/electrical/waste disposal systems appear to work fine. Used a two filter water purification system I made up for fresh water. Did not find any leaks in the plumbing, other than a small seep from the bathroom sink drain stopper fitting. Hand tightened and problem resolved. Did notice that whoever set the drain into the sink did not properly align the gasket, so there is a black lip on one side of the flange in the sink. Need a pipe wrench to loosen and fix that.

After the PITA of dumping the tanks on our former TT, the ones on the 3670 are the greatest things since the invention of ice cream. Opened the black valve and KNEW it was draining. Same for the grays. Tank flusher worked, did not see any leaks.

We used the Half-time oven in both micro and convection, with no problems. Cooked on the stove, too. Refer/freezer on electric, both worked well.

Slide hydraulics all good. Slide toppers kept tree debris and rain off. Slide seals all deployed and retracted with only one needing some assistance to come fully out.

On the way to the campground, stopped by General RV, Birch Run and got the replacement dining table top and the crank rod fixed, along with the necessary one for the spare tire and front jacks. The one I had was intended for the rear jacks, but was not made correctly. While there, I had them replace the screen door latch, which had cracked. Don't know who at HL engineered the hanging of the door to the frame, but putting one of those big white round head screws directly under the spot where the center hinge folds against the frame, and at an angle, is not a great idea. I replaced the screw with a pan head that does not interfere with the door closing and stress the latch. Also had to drill out the opening 1/8" for the dead bolt in order to fully lock the outer door.

Being only 30 miles from home, we brought up the two furballs after setting up the coach at the site. They were subdued for several hours as they figured out what was what, but then resorted to their usual shenanigans. Gets a little cramped with the litter box in the bathroom, but it was doable. Don't think it will be a constant thing, however. Took them back home last night, so we would not have to deal with their curiousity as we went in and out the door.

The Ultra-Fabs I mounted seemed to work great for the front of the coach, but I still have shaking in the back of it. Not sure why.

Towing with the TV was no problem, but I did have to watch the mirrors closely manuevering in the campground.

Overall, we're pretty happy with our BH and the problems...so far...are minor. This trip was like a four day PDI. I chose this campground, Pine Ridge RV Resort because it was close to General, should something go wrong and the fact that it was open this early. Hopefully, we'll be just as happy come October when we've used it all summer in northern Michigan.
:)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, congrats on the shakedown cruise. It sounds as if most went well. Regarding the litter box. We put ours behind the couch. As long as we tend to it daily we don't notice any odor with one exception. When it's in use;). At least it's out of the way and easy to access for scooping. Have a great season with the Bighorn.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sounds like a good experience for you John. We are setting out tomorrow for the first time this season. I will get to try the new Ultra Fabs and let you know how things are. I will keep in mind the rear end and see if I get any shaking.

Mark

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, well sounds like it was a good trip and shake-down. Glad you did not have major problems. BTW, do I push #1 or #2 button to get translation of &%^$#@* :rolleyes: Bob:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John, well sounds like it was a good trip and shake-down. Glad you did not have major problems. BTW, do I push #1 or #2 button to get translation of &%^$#@* :rolleyes: Bob:D

It's kind of like a secret handshake. You have to push the #1 key with your middle finger. :eek: Imagine sitting at the dining table and you move to adjust the blind, bumping the window trim with your elbow. Didn't take much. The ones in the back are worse, with those overweight (but comfy :)) recliners. A little mispositioning when you lean back and that's all she wrote. I'll let you know how the fabric glue works.

Anyone who works with wood knows how well short, straight staples hold in MDF, especially when half of the penetration length is taken up by heavy fabric.