slide toppers

i just ordered a new 3055. i can still change the options on it and wondered if the 3 slide toppers are worth the money. i have not ordered them. thanks, tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tom, you will likely get a variety of opinions on slide toppers. I for one don't have them. My initial reason was to keep the weight down by ant means possible. I've owned 4 towables and have never had slide toppers on any of them. They DO keep debris off the slide roof but they also flap in the wind. I also think they may keep the slide out roofs cleaner. The flapping can be kept to a minimum by adding something to remove the looseness of the covers.

bigredtruck

we camp in some pretty heavily treed areas, as well as all winter, so we like not having to sweep the slides off all of the time. We don't have anough expereince to comment on the flapping.

jbeletti

I have not had an RV without them so I have no comparable. I agree with all that has been said about them - pro and con. My opinion that having them is a net-positive though. If your budget can stand it - I'd add them.

Jim

2010augusta

I like our slide awnings, it keeps them cleaner, it keeps them dryer in the rain and snow storms, and shade the tops of the rooms during hot sunny weather. The flapping in the wind is minimum and can be stopped several ways. so if you got the cash go for it.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
On our TT we did not have them but when we got our BigHorn we had them put on Kenny likes not haveing to get on top of the Horn to sweep the sides off . The big side topper does flap in strong winds but the other two do fine. We would order them again.-----Kathy

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I wouldn't be without mine. I love them. Have had them on every camper with slideouts. Worth every penny.

Good luck,
Mark

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have them on our 3670. During our first use, earlier this week, it was windy, wet, and cold. Windy enough that I did not leave the main awning out. Did not notice any noise from the slide toppers, though.

With our previous TT (without a topper), there was no roof ladder, so when camped, I had to back up the truck next to the trailer and clear the junk (twigs, leaves, acorns, bugs, birdie doo) off the dinette slide before retracting.

ChopperBill

Have 'em on both the fiver and truck camper. I cant see sliding in bird poop and other junk inside the home. I have found mine on the Bighorn will flap in the wind if they have just been rained on and stretched out. But on the Snowriver truck camper they have always been as tight as a drum. The reason? Dometic's on the fiver and Care Free's on the truck camper. I would by-pass the factory Dometic's and have Care Free's installed. I have found that true on the outside awnings as well. Care Free a much better option.

timk

Why is that timk?????

We were on a hill in Williams Arizona, and the wind,... well, it was something like 40 mph against the side of the rv for 2 days straight. The flapping got pretty old. They were nice when the snow came, it quieted things down very nicely.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I hear ya TimK...we spent the last six months in the RGV, and we all know what the valley is known for....WIND! Wasn't too bad until around the end of February, then it became obnoxious.

DH fashioned a "Tee Pee" type device made of PVC which you slide in under the topper and it raises it up in the middle and makes it tight. Really helped eliminate the noise, etc. Just have to be very careful and remember to remove it before pulling the slide in.:eek:

azbound

We didn't have them on the last 5ver, but added them to the BH. Yes the topper on the big slid does flap in the wind, there are ways to control this. Haven't tried this but was told that taping several swim noodles together and sliding them under the topper to fill the gap and will help with the flapping and stop rain from pooling of the topper. Has anyone else tried this? I think you would have to make 2 of these and slid them in from both ends.

timk

After this past weekend, I don't believe anything under the awnings would work. The wind was getting under the awnings and fully unrolling them, so they would billow up like a sail on a sailboat. They raised up at times about a foot or so. I thought they might rip off. At that moment in time, I was just fine with the idea.
I was tempted to run down to the hardware store and pick up some 2x6's, to throw on top, but I was afraid they would blow away.

cliffbuilt

Slide Topper Fixes

After this past weekend, I don't believe anything under the awnings would work. The wind was getting under the awnings and fully unrolling them, so they would billow up like a sail on a sailboat. They raised up at times about a foot or so. I thought they might rip off. At that moment in time, I was just fine with the idea.
I was tempted to run down to the hardware store and pick up some 2x6's, to throw on top, but I was afraid they would blow away.
We use a 6' length of 3" abs with an elbow glued to each end to raise the center of the large topper to keep rain from pooling, last week in "Death Valley " windstorms I added the awing strap to keep wind from lifting & flapping. Bungee cords on each end of the awning strap give it a little flex in heavy winds. :D

Happy Camping,
Cliff

truknutt

Committed Member
We didn't have them on the last 5ver, but added them to the BH. Yes the topper on the big slid does flap in the wind, there are ways to control this. Haven't tried this but was told that taping several swim noodles together and sliding them under the topper to fill the gap and will help with the flapping and stop rain from pooling of the topper. Has anyone else tried this? I think you would have to make 2 of these and slid them in from both ends.

Easier to just get a Dollar Store cheapy air mattress used in the pool and shove under the awning. Let the air out and it's easy to store. If you use 2 of them put the pillow end toward the middle (it's usually fatter/taller) so there is no pooling of rain water.

Delaine and Lindy

We had slide toppers on our first three 5h wheels but the last tow we didn't have them. Don't think I would get them again. No wind noise or water pooling. We try very hard not to park under trees so bird poop isn't a problem and I have a small leaf blower (110 volt) we carry while on the road and I always check the top or the slide outs and if there is something on the slide outs I just blow them off. I haven't had any problems without them, and for the cost of replacing slide toppers I just don't think I would ever see a need for slide toppers. GBY.....