Smelly freezer

I'm a new member of the forum. We have had our new 2008 Landmark for about a 2 months and have used it 3 times. Everything seems OK except the freezer and ice maker smell. It smells like plastic and the ice cubes do also. I have flushed out with bleach and it did take care of the plastic water smell fairly well. But, the freezer and ice maker still smells like plastic. Are there any other things I might do? Has anyone else had this problem? The 5th wheel was new and never used.

jimtoo

Hi Dennis,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and also the Heartland Family.

I cannot give you any help on the smell, but do you get the smell with it on and running and temps down to operating temps? I'm sure someone will jump in here and have an answer.

Jim M

Paul & Nan

We have been fighting the same thing with our 09 BH since we got it last September. Have tried all the tricks I know. The water from the faucets seem to have the same plasticky smell/taste, even after chlorine flushes, etc. Never have had this before, in so many new rigs I can't count. We have used new hoses, it is the same on holding tank or direct water, you name it. It is a PIA. Otherwise our 3670 is a dream. Nan

smelly freezer

Thanks for the replies. . . good and bad news. Good that our Landmark Cape Cod rig isn't the only one having this problem. Bad news is that you have to be hasseled with this problem too! Yes, I always have used the charcoal filter but it isn't phasing this problem with the plastic smell in the freezer or the ice cubes made. You would think that all the cholrine flushes would help but NOT. We turn off the ice maker and buy ice to put in the ice tray holder and even that ice smells like plastic. Our water in the door isn't too plastic tasting, or the hydrant water now that we've cholrined several times. We are leaving out again May 1st. Meanwhile, we've emptied out the refrig and opened it up to air until then. I have my doubts that this will take care of it. I intend to contact the factory after the next trip and see what they say, or have any of you done that?? This is a PIA because we like our brewed ice tea and these cubes make it taste right down yuckie!! The wife has quit brewing tea and we've settled for water. Let ya all know if the airing out helps!! :rolleyes: The happy OKIES!

truknutt

Committed Member
Not an expert but it sounds like some of the taste and smell is coming from the plastic of the freezer compartment. This may be why the charcoal water filter isn't helping completely and your store-bought cubes are being affected as well.

Try washing down the inside of the freezer with a baking soda/water solution and then use the "Arm & Hammer box in the corner trick" for a while. If this doesn't do the trick, do you mind the smell/taste of coffee?

Get some CLEAN nylon ankle highs/footies and fill with FRESH coffee grounds. It will absorb or mask (not sure which) the new plastic odor; worked in our last 5er.

Good luck.

Last edited:

cjbearden

Visitor
Our first fridge in the Augusta had same plastic smell/taste. When fridge was later replaced last Fall, went through same plastic smell/taste again! Our solution was to let ice bucket fill then dump it about 4 times. Also, every day I repeatedly filled a glass with water from the door at least 6 times. We used two Arm&Hammer refrigerator baking soda boxes for a couple of months. We use a three-filter system on the outside water line (2 charcoal and one ceramic). Eventually taste and smell vanished. Just takes some patience and time. Welcome, Oklahomarising, to the forum. Best wishes with your Landmark and may you have tons of fun traveling and meeting other members of the HL family.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
OK, you can get them at CW, Lowes, Home Depot. Really just about any place that sells household appliances. Also you might even check a Wal-mart. You would install it in the plastic water line going to the ice maker. Just some thoughts. Bob:D