5 or 11 lb portable propane tanks

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi everyone, I need a small propane tank, like 5 or 10 lbs max to use with my Weber baby Q propane bbq, and think its absurd to use the little blue or green throw aways which cost alot of money. I plan to BBQ alot on our summer trip and don't want to lug out a 20lber every nite. Where do you guys suggest I buy it and store it? I know there are holders to keep it from falling so I was thinking where the genprep is or in the next department. It would only be there when we travel and home when not. I called all the Lowe's, Home Depot, Costco and no one has them. I have the conversion cable already expressly for the Weber. Any suggestions on where to buy, 5 or 10 lber, and where to store it when on the road. And there is a lightweight see thru ceramic with metal plating to actually see how much propane is in the tank. But expensive. I am open to all ideas.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree that the 20# bottles are heavier but they are certainly much more available and cheaper. We use a plastic milk crate to carry it in and we leave it hooked up for the duration of our stay whenever we use it. Which by the way is almost every time we eat meat. We keep it in the truck bed when traveling and it sits low enough that the truxedo cover clears it. Just my nickels worth. Travel Safe!

dtvista

Larry

The small 5# (about 1 1/2 gal) works well with your BBQ. I have used them for years. Easy to store and not much weight added to your Rig. Just remember, when using an external tank, you must turn on the gas and wait about a minute before you light the BBQ. This allows pressure to build. if you do not you will never get high temps in the BBQ. (This is from Webber Tech support. Common issue with Webber and external tanks.)

DennisZ

Larry

Go to Home Depot, they have the 5 & 11 lb tanks at about 1/2 of what CW gets for them. I use the 11 lb tank with a manifols so I can run the BBQ, a stove and a light at the same time. I stow my tank in the bed of the truck between the wheel well and the hitch.

Dennis

Uncle Rog

Larry, get the 20# tank, you won't regret it. the small tanks need to be filled quite often, and sometimes will not meet the "minimum" for filling.
I have several 20's for my earthquake kit. The best way to get one is to find a couple of the old style tanks at a re-fill location, they will give you a couple or I have paid $1 for them.
Take the old tank to an exchange location and give them the old one and take a full new tank.
A new tank costs $25, another $12 to fill it. The exchange costs $18, the math is pretty simple.
Another thought, Cabelas and other suppliers sell valves that you can use to re-fill the 1# bottles, they come in pretty handy in a pinch, it costs about a nickel to fill one and you are re-cycling to the common good.....................Good Luck

"Earth First, We Will Log The Other Planets Later"
Death Valley Lumber Association, est 1979................

Why Take an Extra

Just thinking, My 31QBS has a tee under the right side where I can put a adapter in-line. but if you don't have that why not just use the existing tanks for your supply, CW caries this setup and you can get more hose as 12 feet would not be enough for use using the tanks upfront. Just thinkin!! I looked at the exchange tanks I think with out a tank its like 45.00 for tank and LPG.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stay-flow/30341

bigredtruck

Larry

Just remember, when using an external tank, you must turn on the gas and wait about a minute before you light the BBQ. This allows pressure to build. if you do not you will never get high temps in the BBQ. (This is from Webber Tech support. Common issue with Webber and external tanks.)

This is great info. I didn't know that and wondered why sometimes I get a great flame and other times it is difficult.
DH has just put a T fitting on our Cyclone bottles so we can run the BBQ. no extra tanks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I carry my 2 1/2 lb bottle in a small bucket. It holds the bottle securely while travelling and then I have a bucket if I need one. Saves space too.

buckeyebob

we bought a small wlwctric grill ai wallmart and put a couple os chunks of hickory or mesquite right on the element and cook anything.why use propane when electric is free?i have a propane thermos grill and always use a 20# tank,however beware of exchange tanks because i read an article that said the methamphetamine cookers are putting anhydrouse in yhe tanks ans it rots the inside of the tank or something!!!!!!look for green color on throat of valve.they turn them in for propane exchange and nobody is the wiser as to the former contents.menards sells the 11#tank.buckeyebob