6.4 gauges

Peteandsharon

On a side note to my ongoing truck issues, I was wondering if any of you 6.4L ford owners have added any gauges to your trucks. On my 7.3 I had installed an EGT gauge and a tranny temp gauge. The new truck has a rough tranny gauge but no EGT. I lived and died by that EGT gauge so I would like to add that on my new truck. Maybe a little better tranny temp gauge too. I had Banks gauges on the old truck with a pillar mount that worked out real nice. Can't use the pillar mount here since they have mounted the grab handle on that left pillar. So, if any of you have done the same on the 6.4 I'd be curious what gauges you used and how you mounted them. Thanks, Pete

truknutt

Committed Member
Pete,

I believe you can remove that grab handle and the trim piece behind it gets replaced by the new pillar mount; that's the way it worked in my 6.0.

I feel I need at least a pyrometer. I don't know why the designers/engineers don't install a factory version. I haven't gotten a good read on how accurate the factory tranny temp gauge is, either.

I have been debating the aftermarket gauges also. I like the Autometer Ultralite 2-1/16" series. If I go with just the pyrometer & tranny gauges I will most likely go Autometer on the pillar. Edge has just the monitor (no programmer) that sits in a pod on the dash between the pillar and steering wheel. It's a neat package that has all the necessary readouts albeit in digital format versus the analog factory look of the Autometers.

Hope someone else chimes in that actually has a setup for the 6.4L.

Dave

Attachments

• 2008 pillar pod.jpg
    2008 pillar pod.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 27

svd

Here is a link to one similar to what I have. I bought one with the ability to tune also. It is plug and play, and you can get a matching pod (matches the interior of my F-450) that fits on top of the dash, just under the driver side grab handle. I had analog guages on my 7.3, no more drilling this time. All the sensors are already on the 6.4, just need to connect to them.

http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/61A1942A0A0.aspx

Peteandsharon

Thanks, Steve. Unless I was doing something wrong, it appears that this is only available for 2007 and older vehicles. I could not select 2008 and hence I could not select the 6.4 diesel.

truknutt

Committed Member
Pete,

Here's the EDGE PRODUCTS page. There you will find the Edge Evolution (monitor w/programmer) & the Edge Insight (monitor only). Open the Evolution User's Manual (pdf) and advance to page 14/43, there is a picture of the installed unit with dash pod.

From what I could see they both physically install the same way and as Steve (svd) said there appears to be no drilling required; all hookups are via the OBDII port.

Sweet!

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

That Edge Insight has a very sharp look with the dash mount. I like that. It appears, at least, that it is available for the 2008 6.4L engine. Having said that, I also see a note that the EGT probe is sold separately. Is the EGT an exception to the rule that all the connections go through the OBDII???

Peteandsharon

I'm still not sure why that note would be there about the EGT probe being sold separately. Probably for earlier engines maybe. Regardless, it appears from the installation manual that no probe is necessary for the 6.4. One question though, guys. It also appears from the installation guide that the pod is held on with velcro. Have you found this to be a solid and reliable installation? Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of velcro holding anything together for long. Thanks again. I'm beginning to think I'm gonna jump in on this. I don't see how you can go wrong with this setup. Great look. No drilling. Sweet is right.

christianson

I have been told by a ford dealer that the egt prob is in 08 & 09 6.4 and if you get the right programer it can program it to read out in your dash the same as it tells you when you go into regen I have not had mine programed yet but I am looking into it.

Peteandsharon

Dean,

Are you saying that if you flash the right program, the EGT will display in your center dash display without the need for any add on gauges?

creeper

DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT..... Did I say don't do it?

If you install aftermarket guages and have an engine melt down, Ford has used the presence of guages to void the warranty. They will claim you have a performance box and that caused the melt down.

This has happened to guys on the diesel stop.

LEAVE THE FORD POWERSTOKES STOCK...... IF you play, then you PAY......

They tried to blame my truck problems on me for changing my own oil in COURT... You think they won't use after market gauges to void a 10K warranty bill?

Ford had such problems with hot boxes that there is "supposed" to be a logging program inside the computer. Any messing around by you voids the warranty.

Recent service on my truck and one of the first questions they ask, "Do you have a box on your truck".

Peteandsharon

Creeper, You're being a little obtuse here. Quit beating around the bush. Make your point.

Seriously, I understand what you're saying. I have heard other people talk about the logging program in the computer. Understand that I am talking about the Insight which is not a programmer. Having said that, what I am very concerned with is the fact that the primary reason I would like this is the EGT readings. If I still need to drill in the exhaust manifold to insert the "optional" pyrometer to get the EGT reading then that is a show stopper. I won't go there. I did that on my previous truck and it worked out fine but I was always worried about the tip breaking off after time and ending up in the turbo.

egnors

the 2008+ trucks already have the pyro's plumbed in, so you'd be better off getting one that can already read the extra info from the OBDII port. I know you were not interested in programming, but there is one called the Phalanx/Dashdaq that will read all that info. The tuning can even put in defuel limits, so if you get too high in the EGT it would back down the fuel and help the engine get back to a cooler running exhaust temp. It all depends on how far you want to go. The new 6.4 can add 250hp at the wheels with just a tune. And, you can flash away the regen if you're feelin froggy!

creeper

I understand you're talking about gauges. As much as i would like to install some, I wouldn't.

Like a said, the presence of the gauges alone have led to warranty denials. No proof... Just denial. Ford has claimed the engine melt down was because the customer installed a programmer.

It's not up to you to prove you didn't.

Just a chance I'm not willing to take. Not after lemon lawing two of them and Ford accusing me of having a programer and faulty oil changes.

Just looking out for you and what Ford has pulled on MANY of us who used to be Loyal/ Bleed Blue Ford owners.

christianson

peteandsharon sorry I did not get back to you sooner but a dealer that sells alot of Ford diesel trucks told me the equipment is there but has to be programed to your computer it dose not change any of settings that are there now it just brings up the information and reads out in you dash same as all other information.

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys. After getting assurance that EGT's are available without the optional probe and without having to drill the exhaust manifold, I went ahead and ordered the Edge Insight. Last weekend I had my Retrax bed cover installed as well as the Line-X bedliner. This weekend I will have my RV dealer install the 5th wheel hitch and I will do the installation of the Insight. It's coming along.

RVCamper

The PID readings are available via the OBDII connector and are read only. Connecting to this should not void the warranty if you are reading the PIDS and not over writing them.

There are three (or used to be) three levels of information available on the high speed OBDII LAN. Not sure what an Edge does, but remember that for a long time Ford has had recording capability in the processor, and uses this as a data recorder for diagnostics, and potentially accident investigations(air bag deployment, speed, rate of deaccleration, thottle position, ECT, ACT, speed etc). This is the same type information that Honda uses to "Call Home" when it is sick. If it detects that something is hooked up to it. They probabbly will write this to non-voilatle RAM.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
heck, I don't understand all this technical stuff, but I do know this much. My Ford dealer agrees with Creeper. Any alterations or additions voids the Ford warrany and mine is the extended version. Secondly, I have pulled 14,000 lbs for 12,000 miles and according to Fords pulling weight charts, the F-250 2008 6.4 can pull up 15,700 lbs. As a non-mechanical guy who knows no better I am satisfied with the stock build. If something breaks, I will let Ford deal with it, knowing I didn't add any extras, and having it fixed under warranty. Please explain why these extras are worth it? So what if u can only pull at 55mph up a hill. I am getting around 10mpg pulling up and down hills. Doesn't seem worth the hassle or the money, unless somebody has too much and wants to send me a check. LOL

Peteandsharon

Larry,

Let's be clear that this thread started about gauges - not performance enhancements. I, for one, have no intention of boosting the performance. I simply want to monitor what is probably the single most important thing you want to keep an eye on while towing - the exhaust gas temperature. Creeper made the point that attaching anything, including a gauge, will give Ford an excuse (but not a valid one) to disallow a warranty claim. I will be more than happy to fight that fight if it comes up since I am reading but not changing any parameters.

Peteandsharon

One last point on this issue. While I fully realize from first hand experience that Ford will do anything to protect itself and the customer be #$##%, I also realize that anyone towing a heavy fifth wheel without monitoring EGT and tranny temperature is a fool. Anyone who thinks he is being "safer" by not putting any gauges on is begging for a meltdown. And if you choose another gauge which requires drilling in the exhaust manifold for exhaust temps then you really are giving Ford a reason to be jerks....which they don't need. Just my 2 cents.

Pete