Cider Roast Pork with Sweet Potatoes and Apples

Hudson

Here is another recipe my wife made for the Virginia 2009 Spring Rally. This was served at ethnic night (or whatever it was called when you were supposed to bring a dish from your family's heritage).

3 1/2 lb boneless pork roast
1 1/2 c apple cider or apple juice
2 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp grated lemon zest
6 med sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
3 med apples, cored and cut into 3/4 inch slices
2 tbsp corn starch

Remove roast from refrigerator and set aside.

Cider Sauce: Combine cider, sugar, butter, lemon juice, allspice, and lemon zest in medium saucepan. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. (Cider Sauce can be made days in advance and refrigerated.)

Lightly spray 5 qt slow cooker crock with cooking spray. Layer sweet potato slices in bottom of crock. In a heavy saucepan, brown roast on all sides. Remove from pan and place in crock. Arrange apple slices around roast. Pour Cider Sauce over all. Cook on low for about 6 hours until roast is 160 degrees. Remove roast and cover with foil. Remove sweet potatoes and apples with a slotted spoon.

Put pan juices into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tbsp of water. Stir into pan juices. Stir over heat until thickened. Depending upon how much pan juices you start with, you may have to add more cornstarch and water to finally thicken it.

Slice roast and place on serving platter. Surround with apples and sweet potatoes. Serve with sauce.

[Husband's note: as I read/type this, it sounds like a tedious pain. But I watched her make it and she didn't seem to have any trouble with it. Of course she's the goddess of the kitchen in my humble opinion and she's got all the fancy doodads like apple corers. This was absolutely tasty and we love to have slow cooker meals. (I like them because they use electricity instead of propane and can cook outside to keep heat/humidity out during hot weather.)] None