Goodyear Tire Report

wdk450

Gang:
I am also on a Yahoo Winnebago Owners group, and there were reports there of Goodyear tires being much less vulnerable to weather cracks. In fact, one owner reported changing their Goodyears after 8 years just as a precaution, the tire dealer inspecting the tires (with 60K miles on them) and finding nothing wrong on the exterior or interior of the tires.
What do you think?

beardedone

Beardedone
It's what you don't see that may cause the disaster. Most of the experts I have heard from suggest that five years is the outer limit, especially if they are not protected from the sun while stored outside.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I had goodyear wranglers on my other 5er for 7 yrs and no sign of drying out.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Also consider Winnebago's are motor homes and have a different tire with different design and compound. Not really a good comparison to a trailer tire. Like beardedone, I have heard that 5 years is about the time we should be seriously considering new tires. Big thing is insect and maintain air pressure and keep them covered when not traveling. I use 303 aerospace protectant too for UV protection.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hey Ray, were those the Goodyear G rated 614's? Uncle Rog found me someone to sell me new ones for $228 per tire but can't mount or balance them. Which brings me to the age old question. Besides not knowing how much some tire store would to mount and balance them, what are the best weight systems to use? Regular weights, taped weights, bead weights. Don't be shy to weigh in on this one. LOL

Ray LeTourneau

Hey Ray, were those the Goodyear G rated 614's? Uncle Rog found me someone to sell me new ones for $228 per tire but can't mount or balance them. Which brings me to the age old question. Besides not knowing how much some tire store would to mount and balance them, what are the best weight systems to use? Regular weights, taped weights, bead weights. Don't be shy to weigh in on this one. LOL
Larry, Yes, I have the G614's. I paid $225 plus mount & balance. The only reason they charged for mounting was because they had to do it in the lot. I asked for the lifetime balance. They put some sort of material in the tire that is supposed to be great for balancing heavy trailer tires. I was told by the dealer that it's what they use on semi trailer tires. I think $228 is a good price. I use 303 protectant for anything rubber or vinyl. It's supposed to be the best on the market??? What? Me Shy?;)

jpmorgan37

That something in the tires are balancing beads. I just put them in the front tires on my TV. I have heard both sides of the argument talking to professional drivers. Some love them and some hate them. I'll let you know by the time we get to the rally. Here is a link to balancing beads. One interesting thing is that they use a filtered valve core. I went to check my tire pressure a couple of days ago and I couldn't get a reading. Apparently some of the bead are plugging the valve stem. I will work on that and let you know.

John

Ray LeTourneau

That something in the tires are balancing beads. I just put them in the front tires on my TV. I have heard both sides of the argument talking to professional drivers. Some love them and some hate them. I'll let you know by the time we get to the rally. Here is a link to balancing beads. One interesting thing is that they use a filtered valve core. I went to check my tire pressure a couple of days ago and I couldn't get a reading. Apparently some of the bead are plugging the valve stem. I will work on that and let you know.

John
Thanks for the link John. So far I haven't had any issue checking pressure. I suppose the valve could be cleared by adding air to the tire but that creates an inconvenience, especially if you don't need air.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
So its worth it to have the beads in the tires? 12oz or 10oz? And what does a decent Tire store charge for mounting and balancing? And do I have to buy the beads somewhere else first?
And Ray I never thought u were shy! I was just trying to get a response and I appreciate both u and Senior John, oh darn I meant Senor John's advice, hmm.... going to Cancun on Friday and just practicing my espanol. Hope there is no d**n swine in Cancun when I get there.

Ray LeTourneau

I got our tires at a Local Goodyear (Gemini) Tire dealer. They had the beads. They charged $10 to mount & $10 to balance per tire. And, senor John is a Senior. A pretty darn nice guy too if you ask me. Have fun in Cancun just don't drink the water :D I think the Rum will be OK though.:rolleyes:.

jpmorgan37

Just an update on the Balancing Beads. I've put about 2500 miles on since adding them and I won't do it again. When you are stopped, it seems to take about five miles at highway speeds before they get all in place and work well. Running down the road at highway speed is fine, until you slow down. Even a 15 mph drop in speed and the tires go out of balance for a few miles. When the time comes for new tires, I will use the conventional balancing method. JMHO

John