Question for MO pick up owners.

CrazyScotsman

My truck is coming up for renewal of the license plates in May, and my question is, what tags did you register your pick up for 8000,12000,18000,or 24000 lbs ?
Right now I have 12,000 lb tags, but when hooked to the Big Horn, I am grossing 22560 with just me and 3/4 tank of fuel.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Cheers Ken

PS. I could probably get away with the 12000, but you never know when you'll run into some PO'd DOT or State Trooper, who is just having a helluva bad day.
Bad thing is 24k tags are only good for a year, so if I buy them in May, I will have to renew again in January .:eek:

Jburks

I also am licensed for 12,000, but I will be changing in August to 18,000# or maybe 24,000#, My truck and trailer are close to 18,000 when we are packed for just weekend use. I should change now but will try to slide until August.

CrazyScotsman

Jack, I think that the 18k is like the 24k, they have to be renewed every January, plus cost a bit more than the 12k

Another question for you Jack.
When are you leaving Springfield to head up to Goshen in June ?
I am thinking about leaving SPG early am on the 11th, maybe even late pm on the 10th and sleep over somewhere. Depends on what the boss lady want's to do. Cause if mama aint happy, no one is happy.

Michael, how long have you been running on 12k plates while pulling your trailer ?

Thanks guys.. Ken

Jburks

You are correct 18's and 24's do renew every Jan., it dependes when my DW can get off, she is trying to get off on the 10th, if so we are leaving that morning and stopping somewhere in route, if she can't get that day the we will probably leave Wednesday evening. (this looks more likely) If we leave that evening and you want to run together let me know. I have been running 12,000 tags for 7 years, I even ran them on my 1 ton.

CrazyScotsman

Well, my wife can probably get the 10 th off if she wants to,it sure would make it easier on me if she did, that way I wouldn't have to drive all night.
It would be great having someone to run up there with. Just let me know if your wife has the 10 th off or not, and we will go from there.
Cheers . Ken

jwb187

I have 18,000lb plates on my duramax as to be legal the tow vehicle plate has to cover the weight of the total combination. Even with 18's I am a little shy of covering the total weight. I am a retired Missouri Trooper and when I worked the road someone with a 12000 or 6000 license really stuck out if they were pulling a large trailer. Most DOT officers and Troopers cut you a little slack on the weight for what licensed for law.....but not on an obvious six or eight thousand pound difference. Just my .02cents worth...jwb.

CrazyScotsman

Appreciate your 2 cents worth jwb. Looks like next month it's 24k plates for me. I'll just hope I don't get caught between now and May.

Thanks... Ken

CGibson

CrazyScotsman,

We are finally in Missouri and we also decided to go with the 24,000 tags, especially when the lady at the license bureau said the fine is $1 per pound that you are overweight if you get pulled over.

JUebinger

24,000 pound plates

I do believe Missouri law requires you have plates to cover you entire load. You are no different than a semi truck.