Height with 2nd AC Unit

J-W&E

We have a Grand Canyon. What is the height of the trailer with the 2nd AC unit installed over the bedroom. Will there be height issues, or will the trailer still be under the legal height?.

Could someone with a 2nd AC unit give advice? We are concerned that we will need the 2nd unit when we get into 90+ temperatures this summer.......expecially if we have to park in the sun.

Thanks

jpmorgan37

Jim;
I've got the 2nd AC unit on our Grand Canyon and have towed it roughly 3000 miles. I haven't had a problem yet but the lowest overpass I went under was 13' 6". I made a rough measurement and it was about 12' 9". The only place I anticipate a possible problem is in Alberta Canada and if I remember correctly, their legal limit us under that. Maybe some of our friends up there can clarify that.

John

Tom of Ypsi

We just added an after market Dometic air cnditioner. It is 12" high making the total height around 12'9or 10". If I see something posted at 13' height ahead I will either go around or go slowly depending on the situation. You cannot trust all bridge heights, there may have been a layer or two of asphalt added with no sign changed. Seen in done several times, makes a convertible out of a trailer in a hurry.

J-W&E

Thanks for your reply. I am wondering if we should see how bad we really need the 2nd AC. I just thought from reading the posts on this forum that we would probably need a second AC.

Did you find that you needed the 2nd AC in 90+ temperatures? Gee.....6 to 8 inches of clearance under overpasses does not sound like very much !!

nhunter

Legal height in Alberta is 4.6m or 13.8 feet. It is quite impressive to see some of the large oilfield related loads going down the road. Barely clearing power lines and overpasses.

Tom of Ypsi

Six to eight inches clearance is plenty of room, the only real concern would be arched bridges then you would want to hug the center just watch the trucks and see what they do. Remember you are close to the size of a semi truck so follow the traffic signs for the trucks, i.e. if the signs say trucks use the left lane you should too. This is usually in construction areas and may be a clearance problem ahead.
As far as second AC, last year in Michigan it was pretty warm and the one air conditioner worked well but it was close to being maxed out as far as cooling the whole coach. A second air would keep it cooler and would not cycle on and off all of the time. I plan on keeping the bedroom closed off and just cooling the living area then before I retire for the night turn on the bedroom air and raise the temp. This way I am not cooling the whole coach, escpically when it is not in use.

jpmorgan37

Jim;
My suggestion is get the second AC with the heat pump. We just left Texas and used both AC's when it was hot in the daytime and both heat pumps when it was cooler. The heat pumps work well above 30 degrees. Below 30, the furnace comes on automatically in the living area. Above 90- degrees, especially if the humidity is up, one AC won't keep you comfortable IMHO.
John

J-W&E

I see on the internet that Dometic Duo Therm and Penguin make a "low profile" AC. Is that what you have or do you have the regular one?

jpmorgan37

Jim;

Mine is the low profile. I believe that's what you get when you order the AC/heat pump, at least that is what came on mine.

John