PDA

View Full Version : Should I get 4X4 or 4X2?

HowardBJr
04-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Were in the process of refining our requirements for our RV purchase. We have not bought anything yet (i.e., truck, hitch, or RV) so we can make sure we dont make a mistake and have to buy something twice. Our plan is to buy a heavily optioned Landmark Augusta for fulltime use (i.e., a heavy one).

We plan to stay in Florida during the winters and stay mostly in campgrounds and not go off road with the truck. We plan to move every few weeks. We plan to travel from Texas to the east coast and Florida to Pennsylvania.

The truck we plan on ordering is a 2010 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab dully with a long bed. We will get the diesel with the automatic. Im not sure which rear end we will get. Im need some advice on which drive I should order (i.e., 4X4 or 4X2). Either one can handle the weight of the Landmark. I know there are pros and cons to either one. Below are some Ive come up with. Have I missed anything and what advice do you have? Im leaning towards getting the 4X2 but Im open to change. What I dont know is how often do you really need the 4X4? What are the differences in the ride quality? I need as smooth a ride as possible due to my wife's health issues.

Pro of 4X4:

Less likely to need a tow truck if stuck in mud at campground
Higher resale value for truck

Con of 4X4

Higher initial cost
Lower fuel mileage
Higher maintenance cost (more to break)
Higher bed height on truck making it harder for my wife to get into the cab (shes short and has arthritis) and due to the bed height I may possibly have to flip the axils on the Landmark to maintain a level ride while towing
Lower towing capacity

Pro of 4X2

Lower bed height
Lower initial cost
Lower maintenance cost
Higher fuel mileage
Higher towing capacity

Con of 4X2

May require winch or tow truck if stuck in mud at campground (could carry a winch in truck or use emergency service if stuck)
Lower resale value for truck
Thanks for your input.

Howard

jbeletti
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Howard,

In my experience, the 4x2 is going to give your wife a more comfortable ride.

4x4 is nice to have but you the ride difference may be worth the trade-off. I towed for 3 years with my 4x2 and loved it. It is true though - little traction with a dually 4x2 on wet grass or snow.

My current TV is a 4x4 as it was the last 2007 chassis cab on the lot and the incentives were great on it.

Jim

tmcran
04-20-2009, 10:22 PM
I would go with the 4x4. Now I have a ranch and need four wheel drive so I'm biased. Last year we were at a site and it was raining and muddy. I was slipping and the RV was stating to slide around. Put it in four wheel drive and out we went with no problems. I have never regreted having a 4x4 and will never have anything but a 4x4. In my area a 4x4 is also worth more in trade in and resale. But in the long run get what you want and then you'll be happy.

ct0218
04-20-2009, 10:44 PM
If you spend all or most of your time on flatlands and out of snow and ice 4X2 may work for you. Even if you do have to get a tow or two with a 4X2 during the truck's lifeyou may be better off if 4X4 is something you would rarely use. Where I am in the NC mountains a 4X4 is the norm.

Rmcgrath53
04-20-2009, 10:55 PM
I have a 4x4 and live in Michigan. I use it all the time. I was in North Carolina in the mountains over Easter. It snowed unexpectedly, and boy was I glad I had it.I think you will be limiting your self if you dont get it.You may now say"we are only going where the weather is nice." You cant change your mind if you dont have a 4x4.

boatdoc
04-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Howard, We looked all over the PNW for a 4x2 dually Dodge and couldn't find one, ended up with the truck in the sig. It tows our 3670 loaded up just fine. Having had 4x4 Fords all along I don't know what I was thinking trying to find a 2 wheeler. My votes for the 4x4 long bed.

creeper
04-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Why would you have to flip the axles? No need to flip on mine 4x4.

A few examples.

Wall, South Dakota. Guys pulls in with his 4x2 Dodge. Turning into one of the loops he went into the grass and buried himself. Guys all stand around scratching heads and thinking while the wheels just spin. Guy comes over with his 4x4 F250 and pulls Truck and camper out of mud.

Denver, Colorado. Guys pulls in and is trying to back his dually into a sloped grassed spot. Light misty rain. Wheels spin, spin,spin and tear up grass. He ended up parked next to the office the first night.

Florida, Ny we pull into a campground at night. Snow fell. Try going up the hill. No go, spin, spin , spin. Put it in 24 wheel drive and up we go no problem. Would have never gotten into spot.

In all the years I've had 4x4 I've never had a transfer case problem.

My 4x4 has the same towing capacity as a 4x2. They play with the numbers and I end up with a Higher GVWR.

The 4x4 have a step. So they are not harder to get into.

No problem with ride on my 4x4. Ford allows you to select spring packages.

You forgot one added PRO for the 4x4. It lets you do more adventurous site seeing.

Cyncwby
04-21-2009, 03:35 AM
I can't tell you how many times I thanked the good Lord that I have a 4X4. You may not have to use it for months at a time....but that one time when you're WAAAAY out there and get stuck, it feels so good to reach down, pull that lever and feel your rig start to move. Like has been posted....would NEVER have a truck without it.

ludwigdavid
04-21-2009, 04:26 AM
We live in the snow belt of NY and have only had a two wheel drive, never been stuck in 40 years of driving. Use your head when you drive and you will probably have no problems. Check your insurance, it may have towing coverage.
Good luck

davebennington
04-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Everything that has been said so far is true. I live in VA and we do not get snow very often so that is not a problem. I have been on wet grass and could not move forward or back with our truck, Dodge 4X2 with the Dodge posi-trac rear. If I had to purchase today I would opt for the 4X4 the fuel milage cannot be that big of difference.

Dave

boatto5er
04-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi Howard,

I vote for the 4x4. I've had to use it to get my Sundance moving on wet grass at my son's house where we keep it, just to go up a slight grade onto the driveway; and the Sundance weighs considerably less than the Landmark. A little difference in cost, but more overall versatility IMHO.

Gus

HowardBJr
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Why would you have to flip the axles? No need to flip on mine 4x4.

We want to get the Landmark Augusta. What range of bed height (i.e., ground to bed) and bed rail height (i.e., ground to top of bed rail) would work without having to flip the axils on the Augusta? Its my understanding that the newer trucks have taller bed rails (i.e., the bed of the newer pickups are deeper than the previous generation of pickups). I believe you need about 6 inches of clearance between the bed rail and the 5th wheel in order to not make contact with the bed. I would like to put a bed cover on the truck so it would be nice to have an extra inch or so. Ive not sorted out the hitch issues yet but I assume you can adjust the height of the hitch to accommodate to some extent the difference in height of a 4X4 vs. 4X2.

Thanks for your input.

Howard

mrcomer
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
I have a 4x4 and wouldn't be without it. It will only take one time that you need it to be happy you got it. It is also nice in heavy downpours when you are on the highway, kick it into 4 wheel hi and you have that extra traction. Good stuff in my opion.

Good luck,
Mark

Bluestatueman
04-21-2009, 09:50 AM
My grandfather always preferred vans to pickups. Every time we went to northern Michigan (in the summer) we got stuck. I promised myself I would not buy a truck w/o 4WD. I have had a few w/o 4WD but not many. For what you will be spending on the truck already...it just makes sense to get the 4wd. Some camps are paved but even more are not. And remember this, most tow trucks are not 4WD. So they can't get to you either.

bigredtruck
04-21-2009, 10:23 AM
We also have a 4x2 with duallies. We have changed the tires and had the rear end corrected and still get stuck at least once a year in mud or on grass. If we drop the trailer, the truck is fine. but the extra weight of the trailer (last time it was the Cougar at 10000 pounds on wet grass) drowns us. The worst part is that it's usually a 'little' 4x4 truck that pulls us out of whatever mess we are in. And you likely won't experience this, but after I dug the truck out of the snow three times this past winter (no trailer), I was on ebay daily looking for a 4x4. I would go with the 4x4 if I were you.

boatto5er
04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
We want to get the Landmark Augusta. What range of bed height (i.e., ground to bed) and bed rail height (i.e., ground to top of bed rail) would work without having to flip the axils on the Augusta? Its my understanding that the newer trucks have taller bed rails (i.e., the bed of the newer pickups are deeper than the previous generation of pickups). I believe you need about 6 inches of clearance between the bed rail and the 5th wheel in order to not make contact with the bed. I would like to put a bed cover on the truck so it would be nice to have an extra inch or so. Ive not sorted out the hitch issues yet but I assume you can adjust the height of the hitch to accommodate to some extent the difference in height of a 4X4 vs. 4X2.

Thanks for your input.

Howard

Howard,

You should be perfectly fine with the bed height. The RV should be able to adjust the hitch height and pin height to get the vehicle and trailer lever with a good clearance. Llook into a Retrax system (http://www.rolltopcover.com) like we have for the bed cover. It's a hard, but flexible, acrylic cover that literally rolls up into a storage compartment at the front of the bed, in front of the hitch. We love ours and it is lockable at any point along it's path as it rolls up. They make one for use with 5th wheel hitches, so you have to be specific when you order it. I think the suggested "MSRP' is around $1300, but we got ours for over half that by including it in the truck deal.

Gus

grizzlygiant
04-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I use the 4x at times all year and in all parts of the country -- snow, wet grass, mud, lose gravel -- plus the low range for extra-steep approaches. In my part of the country you would have to special-order to get a 2x!

mjatwalker
04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
4x4 all the way. We tow with a 2000 F-350 crew cab deisel with manual locking hubs.
It's nice to have 4x4 when you need it. The manual hubs also help with fuel mileage.

Good Luck, Mike Walker

creeper
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks for your input.

Howard

You'll have to see how much the truck squats. You can adjust the pin height as well as the hitch height.

I have a Pace Edwards roll top cover. An extra inch is not needed. More like a 1/4 inch.

Shadowchek
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
There have been times that I could back in 2wd but slid a little making it hard to back in straight. I put in in 4wd and I back in nice and under control. I wouldn't consider a 2wd drive myself. As far as the resale value goes there aren't very many people looking for a 2wd. Also sitting up a little higher you have better vision.

Greg

JohnDar
04-21-2009, 02:36 PM
You'll have to see how much the truck squats. You can adjust the pin height as well as the hitch height.

I have a Pace Edwards roll top cover. An extra inch is not needed. More like a 1/4 inch.

I have a soft Laredo cover on my truck, rolls up when towing. With the hitch in place, I use a bungee to hold the release lever down and the cover goes right over it. No bungee, and the handle sticks up enough to know it's there. One thing to watch with bed covers is the side rails if you have the plastic fairing on the pin box. In sharp turns, it may contact the rails. There is some flex to the plastic and a couple of inches before it would actually compress against the pin box. Not sure which will give first, the plastic or the aluminum panel of the rail.

HowardBJr
04-21-2009, 02:59 PM
... Look into a Retrax system (http://www.rolltopcover.com) like we have for the bed cover. It's a hard, but flexible, acrylic cover that literally rolls up into a storage compartment at the front of the bed, in front of the hitch. We love ours and it is lockable at any point along it's path as it rolls up. They make one for use with 5th wheel hitches, so you have to be specific when you order it. I think the suggested "MSRP' is around $1300, but we got ours for over half that by including it in the truck deal.

Gus

Gus, I got a good look at your bed cover at the VA Spring Rally and really like it. That one is high on our list.

Thanks for your input.

Howard

HowardBJr
04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
4x4 all the way. We tow with a 2000 F-350 crew cab deisel with manual locking hubs.
It's nice to have 4x4 when you need it. The manual hubs also help with fuel mileage.

Good Luck, Mike Walker

Does anyone know if Dodge offers manual hubs as an option? Perhaps we should go ahead and bite the bullet and get the 4X4 with manual hubs and be done with it. We did that with the decision to get a long bed dully. We REALLY like the short bed single rear wheel trucks better however after reading lots of posts on the subject we decided to get the long bed dully and not have to worry about it handling the Augusta.

Thanks for your help.

Howard

CrazyScotsman
04-21-2009, 03:17 PM
I had never owned a 4 x 4 untill I bought my pickup ( first pickup I have owned ) I never used to think I needed 4 wheel drive, but it sure made a difference last winter, don't think I would ever go without having 4x4 again.
I have the Roll N Lock bed cover on mine, it's great, just roll it back a bit when hitched up, then when not hitched I put a block of wood under hitch and close the cover. As Tony Tiger would say, " Theeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee Great

HowardBJr
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Howard,

In my experience, the 4x2 is going to give your wife a more comfortable ride.

4x4 is nice to have but you the ride difference may be worth the trade-off. I towed for 3 years with my 4x2 and loved it. It is true though - little traction with a dually 4x2 on wet grass or snow.

My current TV is a 4x4 as it was the last 2007 chassis cab on the lot and the incentives were great on it.

Jim

Jim, one of new features of the 2010 Dodge 3500 is some type of new ride system that attaches the back of the cab to the frame of the truck (I think it's hydraulic but I’m not sure) that should improve the quality of the ride. I also want to get an air ride hitch of some type. I’ve still got to do more home work to lock in on which one to get. Perhaps an air ride hitch can make up for deterioration in the ride quality from going with a 4X4.

Howard

sferreira
04-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Hello Howard, One thing to consider is that 4X4 don't necessary cost more in fuel then 2X4. You always tow in 2X4 and only use 4X4 to pull out or in of something. The added weight is not significant on the long run and the few pounds you save by not having 4X4 doesn't change much on the GVWR. Especially as you remove weight from the front axles. S.

HowardBJr
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I had never owned a 4 x 4 untill I bought my pickup ( first pickup I have owned ) I never used to think I needed 4 wheel drive, but it sure made a difference last winter, don't think I would ever go without having 4x4 again. ...

Ken, we’ve never had a 4X4 either and all but one of our cars have had rear wheel drive. I have a daily driver with front wheel drive and don’t find it any easier to drive in the snow than our rear wheel drive cars with the exception of our Viper. We’ve never had any real problems where we needed a 4X4. It seems in Virginia the fellows that have the biggest problem are the 4X4s that go flying past you in a snow storm. You often pass them about a mile ahead and off the road being pulled out by a tow truck.

Howard

P. S. We have a little Yorkie named Rosie that would like to meet Lucky and Tinker when we hit the road.

Peteandsharon
04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
I'll be putting my second Retrax roll top cover on this Friday. I love it. Don't know anything about a special one for 5th wheel hitches though. That shouldn't be an issue since you roll it back when you are hooked up and roll it up otherwise. Mine is the manual cover and I can get that for $950 installed. I'm getting that and a Line-X spray in bed liner for $1300 so it's pretty cost effective.

TXBobcat
04-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Hello Howard..
I have a 2006 F250, 4x4, 4 door crewcab, long bed.
My Gas mileage normally runs,
19-21 Hwy no trailer
14-18 intown no trailer
10.5 - 12 Highway pulling BH 3400

I was in Rockport TX around spring break. We took the truck out on the beach (there were lots of cars and trucks there. Had a road graded). At one point we got to the eand of the path for everyone to drive on and had to turn around. The truck is so long it could not turn in the area they provided. We got off into some soft sand.. Had it not been for the 4wd I would have had to be pulled out.

When parking my trailer in a site at Rockport the gravel road around the park was narrow and my front wheels went off into the sand and bogged down. Without the 4wd I would not have been able to continue backing into my site.

I think my mileage is good as any and weight does not make that much difference over all and I would still have the 4wd if I got another truck. My
4WD is controled by a switch (2WD 4WD Llow, 4WD High). I can go and manually change the hubs but I don't.

BC

CrazyScotsman
04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
[.

Howard

P. S. We have a little Yorkie named Rosie that would like to meet Lucky and Tinker when we hit the road. [/quote]

We think Lucky has A.D.D. he is the most loving dog I have ever had, all 6 lbs of him, but you cannot get him to do a thing you want . He just wants to be held . He is dominated by Tinker she is about 11 lbs and 2 months younger. Lucky almost died when he was a pup, with his first set of shots, hence the name Lucky. He is lucky to be alive.

jbeletti
04-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Yorkies! This thread has gone off-topic :) But I love Yorkies. Got 2 of them :D

HowardBJr
04-22-2009, 04:37 AM
Yorkies! This thread has gone off-topic :) But I love Yorkies. Got 2 of them :D

Jim, weve been working to narrow down our short list of 5ers to purchase for several months. Our little Rosie (shes 5 pounds) is driving us towards the purchase of a RV so that we can more easily travel with her. We dont like leaving her behind. If we had only known you had TWO Yorkies we would have moved the two Heartland 5ers (Augusta and Bighorn 3670RL) to the top of our list without having to do all the research. It looks like Heartland has endorsed Yorkies. You could have sure saved us a lot of time if wed known this earlier. :D

Everyones input on the 4X4 vs. 4X2 issue had been VERY helpful. Im now strongly leaning towards getting a 4X4 instead of a 4X2. I think well make a visit to our Dodge dealer to see how hard it will be for Kathy to get in and out of the 4X4 due to the extra couple of inches of ride height. We are going to get step up bars to make it easier for her to get into the cab so it may not be a major problem.

Thanks for the input.

Howard

trdeal
04-22-2009, 05:23 AM
We towed our Landmark for a couple of years with a 2wd Ford F350.Never had a problem. But when I got stuck in my front yard (truck only)that was the last straw.Went that week and bought a Ford 4x4.Was in a spot last season with wet grass,needed to drive the Landmark up on leveling blocks,truck started spinning. So I put it in 4x4 and that is all it took. Would not be without a 4x4 now. The ride is a rough when towing empty but I love my truck.My wife will even drive this one and that is saying alot. I don't know about the Dodge but my Ford has the stepbars and a grab handle on the inside to help get in the truck.You will enjoy the 4x4 if you go that route.

jbeletti
04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
It looks like Heartland has endorsed Yorkies. You could have sure saved us a lot of time if wed known this earlier. :D

I like it!

I with remember the 2005 Dodges, the 4x4 was fully 4" taller. I was recently in TerryH's new GMC 4x4 and to me, it seemed pretty low and has a decent ride. I think trying them all at the dealership is a great idea.

Jim

JohnDar
04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Better to have 4x4 and not need it than to need it and find you're in a no cell phone service area.

DougLynne
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm on my 2nd 4X2 and it will be the last, the next will be a 4X4. I never had a problem with my first truck and drove in snow etc.. This truck, I've been stuck 3 or 4 times. The resale is a real killer as well. I had a heck of time selling my first truck and took a beating on the price. Go for the 4X4..../Doug

Peteandsharon
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I've towed with four trucks and all have been 4X2's. Only a handful of times in all those years that I wished I had 4 wheel drive. Having said that, the biggest issue is the resale value. You do take a beating on the 4X2 because more people think they need 4X4. When I had my big problems recently with my new 2008 4X2 the dealer was very open about the fact that they had considered buying it back from me but they would have a hard time moving a 4X2 in their market. But for my purposes I don't need the added weight, added maintenance, added cost and one more thing that could go wrong.

Uncle Rog
04-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I will go along with the general consensous that if you are pulling a rig as large as any of the HL products the 4x4 is the only way to go. As far as the ride is concerned when I air up the rears and hook up the horn the truck rides like a caddy, when not towing I air the rears down to 65#'s, makes a big difference in the ride...........

Jim & Harriet
05-19-2009, 09:37 AM
hi howard,
we also have the 4x4. worked great getting us out of a very muddy camping space in tennessee after it had been raining for three days!
hope to see you all at the fall beach rally.
jim

tmcran
05-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Boy glad I have 4x4!!! Been in the rain on two week trip to southeast. Tex,Tenn,Virginina, NC. Frist night got in heavy rain in Texarkana. The site had rock base but the rain let it sink in the mud. Had to have 4x4 to back up to hook and 4x4 to get out. Next night in Ark mud everywhere. 4x4 needed again to get off wet grass. In Tenn. Same problem ground very saturated. Had to help other RV,er pull his RV and TV out of site. Have had 4x4's for over 20 years and willl never get another 2 wheeler. MHO.

Rockerga
05-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Hands down a 4 X 4! Do you know how easy it is to get a 4 X 2 stuck OR in a wheel spinning situation..... TOO EASY!

At least I have had to resort to 4 X 4 more than a few times. (Mostly in reverse!) And as stated earlier: "it is better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it." This does de-rate your towing/hauling but not by that much. If you are cutting it that close you need to re-think anyway as I am currently doing!:D

MD Buck
05-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Have had two incidents where the 4x4 proved the way to go. One was on a paved campsite but was slightly up hill. Couldn't get backed into it without the 4 wheel drive. The other was on the Outer Banks and we weathered a tropical storm over night and was leaving the next morning to find that the ocean had washed sand over the highway. I was able to get through the blockage, however the 4x2 following me wasn't as fortunate. But, I did have a tow strap and while I was contemplating unhooking to help the guy out, another 4 wheel drive truck came along and used my strap to pull him through. Mileage difference is minor usually less than 1 mpg when unloaded and less when towing.

HowardBJr
05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
hi howard,
we also have the 4x4. worked great getting us out of a very muddy camping space in tennessee after it had been raining for three days!
hope to see you all at the fall beach rally.
jim

We've decided to get a 2010 Dodge 3500, Crew Cab, long bed, dully, 4X4 with automatic transmission. I hope the Chrysler bankruptcy doesn’t mess us up. We measured the difference in bed height between the 4X4 and 4X2 on the 2009 Dodge 3500. It turned out to be only 2 inches. I don’t think that difference will cause Kathy a problem being able to get into the cab.

Kathy is scheduled to work the weekend of the fall rally and may not be able to get off. We have narrowed out short list down to a Landmark and Big Horn. We have only seen two Landmarks and one of those was a classic so we’d like to look at a couple more before we buy one. So I may come by myself if Kathy is not able to get off work that weekend. I will have to stay in a local motel since there is no way we’ll have our truck and Heartland by the fall rally.

I talked with my service advisor at my local Dodge dealer about the warrantee on the diesels since you had raised that as a concern at the spring rally. I think I get a Chrysler extended warrantee.

We’re looking forward to see you, Harriet and Max again.

Thanks for all the help. Everyone has been VERY helpful.

Howard

gmc
05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
MY two cents worth I would go with the 4x4. I drive a gmc crew cab and it rides like a car. Don't worry about getting stuck as you say. I average between 16 and 18 mpg just the truck and about 9 to 10 towing. I pull a bighorn 3055rl. I was stuck in the snow with it once ,with a much smaller trailer and was pulled out by a guy in a jeep. what an embarrassing moment. Stock tires,since have upgraded to goodrich ta's two sizes bigger 265,s what a difference. good luck in your choice

Mariposa
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
have 4x4 on our 08 Dodge Maga Cab. It was unplanned but we have been in snow, very wet RV parks, and on slippery green grass. With 4x4, not only low gears, but not digging holes in some one's RV park. Has work out great for us. Did have to get towed out of the snow once by a very big bucket loader.
Bob