Big Horn 3055 ODS basement door latch

BobSue

Well, I finally got tired of being hit in the butt by the basement door while doing my husbandly duties of hooking and unhooking. (Sure wish DW would help, but that is a different thread:rolleyes:)

I added a latch to hold the door in the open position. Used a 6" t-latch similar to the one for the main entry door.

Hook was attached between propane door and front corner of rig. This is a good place since there are frame members behind fiberglass. 1" screws supplied with latch worked nicely once predrilled.

Put through bolts (#8-32, SS) with aluminum backing plate through door. I did not feel door was strong enough to just put sheet metal screws in to. Just thin fiberglass over foam. 1-1/4" screws would have been better length, but choices were limited in SS at Lowes. Easy change out if find right length somewhere.

Counting all the SS hardware, plus latch about $10 and 1 hour (not counting trip to Lowes) invested.

Attachments

• Resize of backing plate.jpg
    Resize of backing plate.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Resize of latch.jpg
    Resize of latch.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 175

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Great idea! I was trying to figure out what to do with mine. It either whacks me or gets smacked against the latches for the propane compartment. Fortunately, I caught it before it hit them.

Now if I could just quit cracking my skull on the bottom edge of the front cap, life would be good.:(

BobSue

I hear you! I have big lime green fluorescent noodles on my bedroom slide and I STILL manage to hit my head on it somehow.

It is still embarrassing, it just doesn't hurt so much.:eek:

JohnDar

I hear you! I have big lime green fluorescent noodles on my bedroom slide and I STILL manage to hit my head on it somehow.

It is still embarrassing, it just doesn't hurt so much.:eek:

I told the wife that if I seem to be gone an excessively long time, look under the trailer....I'm probably laying there with X's in my eyes.

Jimmyt5

My 3055 2008 came with a latch for that door. If it goes down I will have to do what you did....

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
WOW - knock me over with a feather!!! What a simple idea.
Thanks

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Now if I could just quit cracking my skull on the bottom edge of the front cap, life would be good.

I USE THE NOODLES ON THE BEDROOM SLIDE OUT AND ALSO ADDED SOME VELCRO AND MADE SOME FLAGGING TAPE OUT OF COLORED DUCT TAPE SO IT WOULD HANG DOWN ABOUT 8" SO I COULD SEE IT, INSTEAD OF BANGING MY HEAD. WORKS MOST OF THE TIME!!
FRONT CAP COULD ALSO USE THE WHITE VELCRO AND HAND DOWN SOME FLAGGING MATERIAL. I GUESS WE COULD ALL WEAR HARDHATS TO HOOKUP/UNHOOK IF OSHA GETS WHEN OF THIS SERIOUS HEAD PROBLEM.

JohnDar

Now if I could just quit cracking my skull on the bottom edge of the front cap, life would be good.

I USE THE NOODLES ON THE BEDROOM SLIDE OUT AND ALSO ADDED SOME VELCRO AND MADE SOME FLAGGING TAPE OUT OF COLORED DUCT TAPE SO IT WOULD HANG DOWN ABOUT 8" SO I COULD SEE IT, INSTEAD OF BANGING MY HEAD. WORKS MOST OF THE TIME!!
FRONT CAP COULD ALSO USE THE WHITE VELCRO AND HAND DOWN SOME FLAGGING MATERIAL. I GUESS WE COULD ALL WEAR HARDHATS TO HOOKUP/UNHOOK IF OSHA GETS WHEN OF THIS SERIOUS HEAD PROBLEM.

I'm 5'8" and make it under the bedroom slide OK. It's always the front cap when I think I'll just take a short cut to the other side and not walk around the pin. I like to wear a baseball cap, unfortunately it obstructs my view enough that I just don't see the impact coming and I get kabonged just below the top of my head.

I got nothing to hide the bruises...

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I'm your size, but i have a few more hairs. I counted them in a few minutes to be sure, ha!
Ok, cut some white velcro and put it underneath the cab on both sides, put some velcro on some (mcneese state) blue/gold duct tape, and hang it from the velcro. No more head banging, you will be able to see the tape as it will hang down low enough to see even with your hat on. K

lhetsler

Door latch

I have a BH 3670 and the basement door on the off side is always blowing shut on me when I am trying to empty the tanks, etc. It is a side hinge door as well. Your idea is good, I will be picking one up.

BobSue

phoenix50

That is the ODS basement door on a BH 3055RL which is a side hinged door.

Probably the picture is a little confusing. The picture with the latch shown is looking aft along the side of the trailer. The closed door is the propane door. If it wasn't for that door's latch, a shorter T-latch could be used.

Hope that helps.