Staying in touch visually when away from home.

patrick1945

We spend the winter in Florida-away from our grand-children and would like to stay in touch visually in stead of just telephonically. I have heard of Skype, OOVOO? and a little about cameras that you can plug into the lap top.

Suggestions and experiences?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have a laptop with a webcam. Our daughter just got one too. Now all I/we have to do is figure out how to do it. I've heard it can be done via the internet but like you, may need some help figuring it out.

SmokeyBare

Both.... Yahoo Messenger as well as Windows Live Messenger can be used for Video back and forth in a private setting. There are probably many other that do the same... but this I've used before and it's worked well.

They both are Free... no charge to get set up... you only need to sign up much like you did to get into Heartland's Owners Forum. Of course you'll need a Cam... they are pretty low cost... and It would be helpful to have a Microphone attached to your Computer as well.... Then you can type back and forth... and view the other person's video feed to you... and you can also talk over the Mic... making it nearly like a Video Call... but over the computer.

I'm sure others have better ideas... This is just what I remember....

Marv

jimtoo

Hi guys, Windows Messenger is good and very easy to set up and like Marv said, free.
Ray, if your laptop came with camera built in, then you should have mic built in also. Go to your Internet Explorer, find Messenger and set it up. Just remember to comb your hair and wear clothes after you set it up, cause other wise you might scare someone.

Jim M

fhollan

Video Conferencing!

With relatives in California in Europe, I recently tried OOVOO which was free and easy to set up. My desktop has a small Creative camera and microphone attached, and they work great. The laptop, everything is built in. It's the best way to go.

SmokeyBare

Much of the success lies with your Internet connection. How fast and reliable the connection is for the flow of the Video feed and the audio.

I use HugheNet for my connection to the Internet... some services do now work well through this type of Internet connection.

Marv

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We also use Windows Messenger. We get our internet connection using a Verizon aircard, and as stated earlier, we only use the video cam when we have a broadband connection. It will work when not on broadband, but it's slow and hard to understand sometimes....runs very well on broadband though.

Great way to stay in touch with family, and actually see their faces...:)

flamingknitter

We use Skype to talk with family in Italy and friends in Iraq. It is free and also works well. Everyone has a built in camera and mic. But like Jim says - be sure you are dressed!!! There is a reason regular phones don't have a video option!