Blue LED light on front Cap?

Gzopete

Happy Member
What are the new blue LED light for on the front of the 2010 Cyclones?

On the web site they call them running lights. I thought having blue lights on your vehicle was Illegal?

These lights are very bright. Just not sure what purpose they service? besides just being kewl.

RnRCycloner

On my Cyclone 3950 they are switch controlled, separate from running lights.. The switched is located near front storage door.. I have thought them to be to assist lights in the event of night time hitching and disconnecting..

truknutt

Committed Member
Blue? That is KEWL! Kinda goes with the "GHOST" theme. Mine are amber (I'll say they go with my Full Throttle Graphics) and assume they are for night hookup guidance. That's my story, anyway.

Gzopete

Happy Member
On my Cyclone 3950 they are switch controlled, separate from running lights.. The switched is located near front storage door.. I have thought them to be to assist lights in the event of night time hitching and disconnecting..

Mine as well are switch controlled. I called them running light because thats what Heartland calls them on the video. Part 1 on the Cyclone site for 2010.

I don't know how blinding lights in your eyes could help you hook or unhook your trailer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Maybe, just maybe they are to find your rig in the dark. Out in the desert riding at nite, you can head for the "blue" lights. Just a thought.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Went and looked at the Cyclone site. Those blue lenses are too low to be clearance lights (that's what the amber ones on top are for). With a pickup in front of it, the cab of the truck would obstruct them from oncoming vehicles. My guess is that they are assist lights for hooking up or rummaging around in the truck bed at night.

Blue lights are illegal in Alabama also have them on my 3950 if Dot stops stops you all lights on a truck and have to work so if you turn them on I would think big trouble....

bigredtruck

well they are not running lights as they have to be turned on manually, just like the patio light and spotlights, etc. I think they are just extra working lights and are blue to make them distinctive.

JohnDar

Is the light truly blue (kinda hard to see in that light), or the bright blue/white like the newer automotive headlamps?

Cyncwby

I'm a retired Police Ofcr. from So. Cal. .....very illegal to have blue or red lights facing the front and only red or amber facing the rear. I'm assuming most states are the same way.......for emergency vehicles only.

Gzopete

Happy Member
I'm a retired Police Ofcr. from So. Cal. .....very illegal to have blue or red lights facing the front and only red or amber facing the rear. I'm assuming most states are the same way.......for emergency vehicles only.

Thats what I thought. Thats why I asked the question. The guy in the video showing the new Cyclones on Heartlands site calls them "running lights".

They seem like just a toy. Blue light are fine if you don't have any other light source. Blue is fine to find the key hole in the dark, but to do anything else is a little tricky.

Gzopete

Happy Member
Is the light truly blue (kinda hard to see in that light), or the bright blue/white like the newer automotive headlamps?

The lights are very bright!

I have attached 3 photos. These picture are taken on a dark street with a amber street light behind me.

Picture are taken at about 10' 25' and 50' I did not use a tape measure I am guessing at the distance.

Attachments

• 10'.jpg
    10'.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 69
  • 25'.jpg
    25'.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 61
  • 50'.jpg
    50'.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 59

Forrest Fetherolf

Blue emitted lights and blue reflectors will get you busted..............I had the occasion to discuss this issue with a few low-rider violators when I was with LAPD. :eek:

25950. This section applies to the color of lamps and to any
reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela
or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided
otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be
as follows:
(a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from
all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or
yellow, except as follows:

Forrest

JohnDar

Yepper, them be some blue lights. Blindingly so. All you need are some dingle balls hanging off the front cap and you'll be cool.

It will be interesting to hear what the factory thinks they're for.:rolleyes:

RnRCycloner

Thats what I thought. Thats why I asked the question. The guy in the video showing the new Cyclones on Heartlands site calls them "running lights".

They seem like just a toy. Blue light are fine if you don't have any other light source. Blue is fine to find the key hole in the dark, but to do anything else is a little tricky.

Watched video, interesting he calls them identifying and running lights.. Like to hear from the factory. Maybe Jim B. can shed some light (pun intended) on the subject..