New 2008 31 red

Aircum

Hello,We are picking up a new North Trail 31 RED on Monday, any issues I should address while at the dealer. This is our first RV and reading some of the issues now has me a little worried. As stated this is a 2008.Any particular items to address during the PDI??Thanks so much

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm not from the factory, but there are many items to check out during the PDI. I believe there are a couple of good PDI checklist somewhere on the forum. Try a search on PDI and they may come up. The big items are to look for water leaks. Turn on each faucet and check on top of the sinks, under the cabinets and around the drains for any signs of leakage. If there are any, they are usually just from hoses that need a little tightening. Turn on all the appliances and make sure they work properly (turn the reefer on as soon as you start the PDI so it has time to get cold). Check each outlet make sure it has power. I used an outlet tester I got at Home Depot for a few bucks to make sure the outlets were wired correctly. Run and slides out and in and back out. Make they are sealing on the inside and outside. Also check cabinet doors for good, solid closing. If a door opens without a noticable bit of pull, it needs adjusting. You don't want to find out after going down the raod with the cabinet loaded (don't ask how I know:rolleyes:). Turn on all the lights. Check for major (or even minor) rust on the frame. Open all the windows and look for drafts around any of them when closed. They should open easily and close firmly. Open overhead vents and make sure exhaust fans are working. Give the outside a thorough inspection for chipped paint, cracks, etc. This is just a major areas list. Try to find a PDI on the forum, or you can probably do a Google Search for Trailer Check List and find a good one.

kampfirekid

A few thoughts based upon our PDI last fall and last warranty visit...

1) Check brake wiring behind wheels. Ours was unsupported and rubbing on the wheel. It was taken care of before we needed brakes and didn't have them. This is a problem on some North Trails.

2) Check all exterior running lights and front hitch light. Ours were corroded badly and many needed to be replaced.

3) Check for leaks in p-traps under sinks. Both of ours leaked. Common issue.

Several other things were cosmetic, and several things were unigue to our model, so I won't bore you. Open up everything and make sure all works before leaving.

bigredtruck

DH found lots of screws sticking into the slide seals, just by running his hand around the seal. And try everything on the TV and stereo - we still haven't figured out how to control sound and speakers etc. Make sure you run the shower and check for water on the floor. I found some good PDI lists on the internet and DH checked EVERYTHING on them. So far, it was worth it.

Items

You will never really know what problem you are facing is until you have camped and discovered the problem. I have a 2009 22fds and noticed a water leak the first trip of the year. Come to find out, it was the slideout seal...it was a half inch short. Not to indulge into the problems I have had since, but check window seals and make sure they are caulked around the exterior top, the half time oven on mine may work, but I don't know yet. The number pad does not work. All said, look through it with a fine tooth comb, It takes forever for warranty work to be authorized, and it will leave you feeling like you were taken to the cleaners on a supposedly new camper.