Water heater

Aircum

Ok I am confused. I am picking up a new 2008 31 RED on Monday. How does the water heater work. Gas or Electric, or both. Thanks

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It should work on both. It can run just on propane, just on electric, or you can use both to get the water up to temp fast when you first set up. The gas turns on from a switch that should be located on the tank gauge panel. It's a rocker switch labelled "heater". That's all you need to turn on (assuming the propane tanks are filled and in the open position) to run on gas. There are two switches to run on electricty. One is on your panel of switches and should be labelled W/H (or something similar). The second switch is outside on the Hot Water Heater itself. You open the HWH panel and should find a small black rocker switch. It may be partially hidden behind a pipe or other module. Both of these switches must be on to run off electricty. CAUTION: The HWH must be full of water before you turn on the electric heating element or you will fry the element! We usually start he HWH up with both gas and electric and then turn the gas off after the water is hot. Why pay for propane use if you're in a CG where you get electric as part of their service?
Hope this helps.

kampfirekid

It depends on when your unit was built. Our 2009 31BHD DOES NOT have both gas and electric. Later 2009 builds have both, so I'm thinking your 2008 model will only have gas, like ours.

sharonlyn

I really learned alot from this post as I am newbie to my 29RBSS. I do have the rocker switch on the tank gauge panel (That is the one that shows the levels in your tanks and turns on your water pump, when you need it right???)
So that is the GAS switch for the water heater.
I also checked and saw a rocker switch in the outside box that the water heater is enclosed in. So to have it turn on automatically (without going outside) that switch has to be on. Correct?
Now, I checked the fuse box and saw the breaker switch for the W/H and it is on also.
My question is how do you keep it on electric heating only? I am assuming it stays on electric only if you don't turn the rocker on the tank guage panel. Am I right??

2nd question--Under my sink above my drawers in the kitchen is a household looking light switch. It has a single lever that is red when engaged. Is that maybe the electric only for the water heater???
Or could that be the heat for the underbelly (that we supposedly have but no one told us where or how it works or where or how to turn it on)
When you go through the dealer prep schpeel you don't always know what questions to ask them and they certainly don't always remember to tell you everything.
Thanks for listening and in advance for any help

jimtoo

Hi sharonlyn,

First welcome to the Heartland Forum and Heartland Family.

"I do have the rocker switch on the tank gauge panel (That is the one that shows the levels in your tanks and turns on your water pump, when you need it right???)
So that is the GAS switch for the water heater.
I also checked and saw a rocker switch in the outside box that the water heater is enclosed in. So to have it turn on automatically (without going outside) that switch has to be on. Correct?
Now, I checked the fuse box and saw the breaker switch for the W/H and it is on also.
My question is how do you keep it on electric heating only? I am assuming it stays on electric only if you don't turn the rocker on the tank guage panel. Am I right??
"

You are correct about the first part completely.

"2nd question--Under my sink above my drawers in the kitchen is a household looking light switch. It has a single lever that is red when engaged. Is that maybe the electric only for the water heater???"

Yes, that would be the convenience switch for the electric for the water heater so that you do not need to go outside to turn on the waterheater. The rocker switch outside on the waterheater can be left on all the time. Also as someone else has mentioned above, MAKE SURE YOUR HEATER IS FULL OF WATER BEFORE TURNING ON THE ELECTRIC ELEMENT.

The heat for the underbelly would be on only when your furnace is on. It is through duct work in the belly.

Jim M

sharonlyn

WHOOOOHOOOO!!!
Thanks sooo much. Now I won't look like such a loser when I get in to camp. I will also have hot water.:D
About the underbelly, it seems then that when you are parked in camp and need the furnace on, the underbelly gets heated also then. But what about when you are traveling? Not that we travel in the COLD, COLD, but in case we get caught somewhere where we need it while traveling?? Find a spot to park for the time being? I won't feel comfortable driving with the furnace on.

Thanks again

kampfirekid

Our early build 2009 31BHD has a gas-only water heater. I woudl like electric. I think after the warranty expires, I may install the electric annode rod kit. Anybody have experience with this?

charlie51

I have the 09 Sundance 310QB. It is gas only. If you're still not sure what yours has you can open the panel on the outside of the TT for the water heater and there should be some reset buttons for the models with electric. Mine just has black rubber inserts to cover the holes because it doesn't have the electric option.