roof vents

SmokeyBare

Roof Covers are not difficult to install... no matter what the model if RV you own.

BUT... if your considering installing one on the Fantastic Fan vent... you will discover a problem... the company that makes the fan recommends not to use a Cover.

This is off their Q & A ... part of their Site.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=4 width=612><TBODY><TR><TD>
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Q.[/FONT]​
</TD><TD colSpan=2>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DO YOU RECOMMEND VENT COVERS?[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A.[/FONT]​
</TD><TD colSpan=2>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vent covers restrict the airflow of your Fan-Tastic Vent by about sixty percent. In addition, covering your vent requires more frequent cleaning due to dust and dirt accumulation. Although we do not recommend any cover over your Fan-Tastic Vent, it will not void your warranty.[/FONT]

But if your going to install a cover over a vent other than one of those... you should be able to do the install with just a few hand tools and a cordless drill. Working from the top of the RV... holes are drilled into the Vent Frame... attaching brackets that come with the vent cover... is all that's left. They are not built to be tight to the Rubber roof... but are held above the surface by the brackets.

Good Luck !

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
MaxxAir Fan/Mate is made for the the Fantastic Fan. Installs as simply as any other MaxxAir cover. Only thing it will block is the rain sensor, which in my opinion, is a good thing. Why have that fan if it's going to shut when it rains and it's humid inside the trailer? The automatic thermostat controlled operation will not be affected by the cover. I covered both of my standard vents and the Fantastic Fan on my rig.

LookN4Ward

MaxxAir Fan/Mate is made for the the Fantastic Fan. Installs as simply as any other MaxxAir cover. Only thing it will block is the rain sensor, which in my opinion, is a good thing. Why have that fan if it's going to shut when it rains and it's humid inside the trailer? The automatic thermostat controlled operation will not be affected by the cover. I covered both of my standard vents and the Fantastic Fan on my rig.

Your logic regarding the rain sensor makes a lot of sense to me. I am wanting to replace the stock vent and fan in a new NC trailer with a Fan-tastic model. A factory rep at a local RV show indicated interior humidity is a big factor in trailer deterioration. He discussed the sources of moisture inside the trailer and the value of good ventilation.

Until now I was looking at one with a rain sensor. The standard fan that comes with the trailer doesn't appear to be as durable as a fan-tastic model. Based on your comment it sounds like a fan-tastic model combined with the Maxx air cover is a better solution. I'd like to get a model that senses the temp and humidity, if there is such a thing.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have never heard of one that senses humidity. You will have to install the thermostat and the wiring. Mine are on all the time. I have them set at 80*. But I leave the coach hooked to shore power. They could drain a battery pretty quick.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have never heard of one that senses humidity. You will have to install the thermostat and the wiring. Mine are on all the time. I have them set at 80*. But I leave the coach hooked to shore power. They could drain a battery pretty quick.

That is basically how we left our rig all summer, even when we were not in residence. The MaxxAir cover did not interfere with the automatic operation of the fan and I did not see any major dirt accumulation under it earlier this month when I removed it for some other maintenance. For the standard vent covers, you can get hinge kits so that you can easily open the cover to clean underneath.

LookN4Ward

That is basically how we left our rig all summer, even when we were not in residence. The MaxxAir cover did not interfere with the automatic operation of the fan and I did not see any major dirt accumulation under it earlier this month when I removed it for some other maintenance. For the standard vent covers, you can get hinge kits so that you can easily open the cover to clean underneath.

According to the Fan-tastic web site the Fan-tastic Model 5000 RTB has a temp sensor that can be set when the temperature reaches an established level. Honeywell makes something called a humidistat that can monitor humidity and affect a switch to on or off. One could insert a humidistat between the fantastic fan and the power source, but that isn't a great idea either. If the humidity was low and the temp hot then the fan would not move the hot air out.

I'm thinking the model 5000 combined with a dehumidifier might work better in my case. The following link about RV Moisture control http://changingears.com/rv-art-moisture-control.shtml?sec-art pretty well explains what can happen if you don't control moisture.