PDA

View Full Version : Announcing the Fall 2009 Virginia Chapter Rally

Pages : [1] 2

boatto5er
04-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Camp Hatteras Campground, Rodanthe, NC

September 25-27, 2009

Yes folks, by popular demand we will be having our Fall Rally in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. This is after the close of their peak season so although some places might be closed, the rest of the island is ours. :D

The days should be cool enough that we can leave our windows open and our air conditioners off, and the nights won't be so cool that we'll need heat. The typical high temps that time of year are around 79 and the typical low temp is around 66 degrees.

We will be on the waterfront (on the sound side) and just a short walk across the street to the ocean beaches. The meeting hall is ours for the weekend and is close to our campsites.

THE IMPORTANT DETAILS

The cost is $45 per night plus tax (which is a great price for this place, even for off-season)
All rally sites have full hookups, picnic table, and full concrete pads
The rate is all inclusive for up to six (6) people per site, pets, cable TV, and WiFi Internet included
All rally sites are back-ins (the CG has pull-thru sites but they are smaller and away from the group)
Earlybird night is Thursday, September 24 for the same nightly rate
The web site for the campground is http://www.camphatteras.com
There is an indoor pool and indoor hot tub

TO BE A PART OF THIS EVENT

Call Camp Hatteras at (252) 987-2777
You must speak to Merrin (she is the rally coordinator)
Merrin only works Saturday through Wednesday (no Thursdays or Fridays) and tonight only she will be there until 9:00pm to take your reservation/deposit
Tell Merrin you are with the "Heartland Virginia" rally
Post your site number on this forum once you've booked

IMPORTANT RULES & REGULATIONS

Fireworks and open fires are illegal (firepits or chimineas with four legs and full screen covers are allowed)
Golf carts are welcome but ATVs, minibikes, motorized scooters are not
Check in is 2:00pm and check out is 11:00am
Full rules & regs are posted on their website

EARLY BOOKING BONUS

There are a limited number of waterfront sites available to our group. These are available for this rally on a first come first served basis at no extra charge. All the rally sites are near the water, but these premium sites are right on the water. If you have a huge back window, it will look out over Pamlico Sound and you will see a spectacular sunset (weather permitting). I probably won't get an email announcement of this rally out until later tonight after Merrin has gone home and since she won't be back into the office until Saturday, that means forum readers can jump on those sites tonight!

Activities and further details will be posted here as they become available

Attendees List Attached

//heartlandowners.org/image.php?u=2329&type=sigpic&dateline=1239203463

boatto5er
04-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Debra and I are in:). We will be on Site 378, and we plan on arriving on Sept 23 (Wed). Hope to see a lot more of you signing up soon. I know it's a little early for some, but hopefully not too early for others.

See you there.

And if you run across Hudson, in real life, or in cyberspace, give him a big thumbs up and a hearty thanks for pulling this together. I know he's also planning some great events during the rally.

beasleyrl
04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Kelly, Megan, Jared, and I are in. This is a great location!!! We'll be arriving on the 24th and we'll be staying in site 381.

Thanks Hudson!!!

Hudson
04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Tracy, Emma, and I are in site #379. We are getting there on Tuesday and are spending a week there since it has been so long since we went to the beach. Plus during the rally I have a feeling I won't have as much free time as I like on a vacation so I'm getting my beach vacationing all in before the rally starts.

Hey Beasleys! That's funny that y'all got site #381 ... a GREAT site but it was one of the two sites the CG told us was already booked. I guess you lucked out! I wanted that site ... and I thought I got first choice! :D Enjoy your site and we'll see you there (if not sooner, in Maine ... still working hard on that btw).

Emma says she's looking forward to seeing Jared again ... I think she thinks he's *cute* None Kids, eh?

trdeal
04-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Renee and I are in. Arriving on Thursday the 24th and are in site number 377.We are looking forward to it. Terry

camperjohn08
04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Nancy and I have reserved our site #384... we shall arrive thursday 24 Sept and leave Monday 28 Sept..... I just hope you all Don't laugh too awfully hard, when I try to back in.... might have to use my front hitch... But we are both looking forward to the Sept Heartland Virginia Rally.....

ONE THING THOUGH... NO OPEN PIT CAMP FIRES...WHAT A BUMMER......NO CAMPFIRE HOME COOKING "THIS TIME" EITHER.........THE FIREMASTER WILL BE SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : - ((

mjatwalker
04-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Ann and I are in. This will be our first rally we are lookig foward to it.
I made reservations this morning at 10:30 only one premier spot left.
Our site number is 323 and we will arrive on thursday the 24th.

Mike Walker

Jim & Harriet
04-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Harriet & I , with Max the RV Terrier, are set for the Fall Rally. Site # 324.
Arrive 24th - Leave Mon. 28Th. Booked with Merrin this morning.
Only 2-more Sound Side sites left. REALLY looking forward to trip !!!
Had a FINE Time at Spring rally. Jim

Jim & Harriet
04-25-2009, 10:02 AM
I probably booked just before Ann & Mike got in their site. Area does look nice on the
Camp Hatteras web site. Jim

boatto5er
04-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Nancy and I have reserved our site #384... we shall arrive thursday 24 Sept and leave Monday 28 Sept..... I just hope you all Don't laugh too awfully hard, when I try to back in.... might have to use my front hitch... But we are both looking forward to the Sept Heartland Virginia Rally.....

ONE THING THOUGH... NO OPEN PIT CAMP FIRES...WHAT A BUMMER......NO CAMPFIRE HOME COOKING "THIS TIME" EITHER.........THE FIREMASTER WILL BE SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : - ((

Cheer up John - Debra and I are thinking about getting one of those metal fire pits with the screen cover. If we do, we'll bring it and you can brew your coffee over itNone.

kwolbeck
04-25-2009, 12:18 PM
We are parked on site 387 right now(24-26 April), came down here(Camp Hatteras) for the weekend. Walked across the street this morning after I saw the post that there was only one waterfront "premier" site left. I signed up with Merrin to take site 325 for the Fall 2009 rally. Would have liked to join everyone at the Spring rally but Misty Mountain was full by the time I knew we could go. Not taking any chances this time. Camp Hatteras is a fine choice for the fall rally. This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right. Kevin

trdeal
04-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Cheer up John - Debra and I are thinking about getting one of those metal fire pits with the screen cover. If we do, we'll bring it and you can brew your coffee over itNone.We have got one of those we can bring and some wood.Just let me know.We also have marshmellow sticks and dough boy sticks.

camperjohn08
04-25-2009, 03:22 PM
We have got one of those we can bring and some wood.Just let me know.We also have marshmellow sticks and dough boy sticks.

Please do bring it... I shall bring some wood logs, just incase we need to cook more coffee and of course marshmellows.....None

Jim & Harriet
04-25-2009, 03:39 PM
knjp...you did a fine job with your post! welcome to the forum... None

boatto5er
04-25-2009, 04:03 PM
We are parked on site 387 right now(24-26 April), came down here(Camp Hatteras) for the weekend. Walked across the street this morning after I saw the post that there was only one waterfront "premier" site left. I signed up with Merrin to take site 325 for the Fall 2009 rally. Would have liked to join everyone at the Spring rally but Misty Mountain was full by the time I knew we could go. Not taking any chances this time. Camp Hatteras is a fine choice for the fall rally. This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right. Kevin

We have friends coming to the rally with us that will be on 387. Take good care of it. And welcome to the forum! We're looking forward to meeting lots of folks who weren't able to make it to the spring rally. We're a ways out from this one yet, but hopefully time will fly.

Gus and Debra.

trdeal
04-25-2009, 04:21 PM
We have friends coming to the rally with us that will be on 387. Take good care of it. And welcome to the forum! We're looking forward to meeting lots of folks who weren't able to make it to the spring rally. We're a ways out from this one yet, but hopefully time will fly.

Gus and Debra.Oh ya, you can bet time will fly!

fordtech 2008
04-25-2009, 05:30 PM
signed up this morning, forgot what site left the paper at work, we are on a water site. this will be our first rally. we will be there on friday and leave sunday.

happycampernc
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
ford tech 2008, myself, sara and our fur child isabell

boatto5er
04-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Marj, Ken, and Sara (and Isabell)- welcome aboard! We look forward to meeting you. Be sure to post your site number as soon as Ken gets back at work so Hudson and I can keep our attendee list updated. This is gonna be a great rally. Now, if only Sept were next month!

We're off to Myrtle Beach this coming Wed morning. We're so ready to go that we brought the RV up to the house and parked it in the driveway today. Our HOA rules only allow 24 hour RV parking, so I'm sure I'll get a nasty note later, but hey - It takes a while to pack everything!

kwolbeck
04-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Now, if only Sept were next month!

boat to 5er

We are looking forward to Sept also, but we would hate to miss the June rally in Goshen(which we are attending), so try not to speed up the time to much. Camp Hatteras site 387 will be in good shape for your freinds when we pull off Monday morning, can't say what will happen the five months till Sept though.

Kevin

Jim & Harriet
04-25-2009, 09:18 PM
hello again,
will you be sending a follow-up email to ask for site #'s? i received a note from another couple who will be attending but who do not access the forum. i don't know their site number.
nice to see such a great response already. None

cjhicks
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
We will be at the Fall Rally, Site #383. Arive Wed.the 23th, Leave Mon. the 28th. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Calvin and Judy Hicks :)

boatto5er
04-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Welcome Calvin and Judy! We're looking forward to meeting you. We're up to 12 signed up now. What a great response already. When we get up to around 15, either Hudson or I will post a list of signups so we can make sure we have everyone and all the site numbers correct.

Rdreamva
04-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Paula and I are signed up. We are in #385. Can't get off work Thursday to come down, but leaving early morning Friday and maybe staying over till Monday. Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting some new members.

fordtech 2008
04-26-2009, 03:15 PM
hey gus i will add site number when i get to work tomorrow.

Jumpshot
04-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Mary and I are sooooo looking forward to the Fall Virginia Rally in NC. We couldn't make it to the Spring Va Rally but we should be at the Fall Rally, weather permitting... hurricane season! We will call the Camp in the a.m. and get signed up. We'll be back with our site #.:o

fordtech 2008
04-27-2009, 06:36 AM
hey gus we are on site 326.

Jumpshot
04-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Hudson or Gus,

We're on site #390...coming in on Thurs - Sat.

andy
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
We're on site # 389 missed all the waterfront sites . Well be coming in from wed - mon

boatto5er
04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
16 rigs signed up so far! That's a terrific start. Looks like we'll probably beat our Spring Rally total. We're looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting many new friends also.

mjatwalker
04-30-2009, 07:21 AM
We are also looking foward to meeting everyone.
This will be a great time for all.

carolinachrissy
04-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi all,

I'm a posting newbie here. DH Sam told me about this Rally and I was able to sign us up pretty quickly.

We're coming in on Thursday 9/24 and departing on Sunday 9/27, although we might extend that by a day and leave Monday.

We're in site #382 and we can't wait to get to know you all. We're bringing our 14 & 9 year old daughters, Kelley and Caitlin, who are homeschooled, as well as our black Standard Poodle, Zeus, who owns our RV!

We've got a raised fire pit with a screen, so you can get your fire fix at our site, as well! Come on over for S'mores prepared by real Girl Scouts!

boatto5er
04-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi Chrissy,

Glad you were able to get signed up. I think we'll have a great group there. Should be loads of fun!

Gus and Debra

Hudson
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
We're in site #382 and we can't wait to get to know you all. We're bringing our 14 & 9 year old daughters, Kelley and Caitlin, who are homeschooled, as well as our black Standard Poodle, Zeus, who owns our RV!

We've got a raised fire pit with a screen, so you can get your fire fix at our site, as well! Come on over for S'mores prepared by real Girl Scouts!

Our daughter is a Junior in Shawnee Council. By the time the Fall Rally happens though, she will have bridged to Cadettes. She earned her Bronze Award this year!! My wife and I are both leaders of her troop. (My wife is an 01 along with another unrelated woman as required when a man is a GS Leader. I'm an 02. Yes, a man can be a Girl Scout, but the background checks are more involved -- which is a good thing I think)

She is homeschooled also ... we love A Beka.

boatto5er
05-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

Still a ways to go until the fall rally. Lots of summer camping going on - even a couple of really long trips for a few folks. I'm sure it'll be a little quiet through the summer months, but hopefully we'll pick some energy back up as summer starts pcoming to a close.

The campground still has spots "reserved" for the fall rally until late August, but don't procrastinate too long. The sooner you get signed up up, the less you'll have to remember to do it later.

Deb and I will be making an "Ambassadorial" (is that even a word?) visit with the Pennsylvania chapter at their rally in August, so wish us luck! We're having withdrawal pains right now - we should be out on such a beautiful weekend. But, Mother's Day with the kids and grandkids trumped getting away.

Hope to see everyone soon!

Gus and Debra

Hudson
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
I am looking at a few activities for the Fall Rally that would need some advanced preparation but are also driven by interest. Would you be interested in any or all of these activities:

Fishing Charter. I hear the fishing there is excellent and there are several charter boats available. I don't fish so I don't know what kind of fishing they have (I might go along on the boat ride for fun). The CG has a fish cleaning area near our group of sites. I need to know how many people are interested so I can pick the right size boat(s).
Catered Seafood Dinner. A seafood restaurant in the area could bring a seafood feast to our meeting hall. I don't eat fish myself but would be happy to arrange this for the group.
Trip to a Seafood Restaurant. Since it will be just after the season, some restaurants will be closed. Our friend Merrin at Camp Hatteras has some pull with some of those restaurants and could arrange a group dinner for us even at the closed ones. Merrin even has access to a charter coach we could hire inexpensively to save us all from burning our diesels (plus everyone could drink with impunity too!)
Catered Barbecue. North Carolina is famous for their pork barbecue. We could get a pig picker to bring a feast to our meeting hall. I'll bet if enough people are interested they could even do a whole pig right there for us. I've done this before and can tell you it is extremely tasty.

You don't have to decide now since these things can probably be set up in August sometime. But anything I can set up now (while I am planning all my summer trips anyway) is something I don't have to worry about later on (while I am on my summer trips).

If we want to do one of the dinner things we might do it Friday night so people don't have to cook right after setting up their rigs. If it turns out that one or more of these things is something that is favored by people who will all be there on Thursday night (or Sunday night), then we might do that thing on one of those nights.

BTW, Gus, would you please email this message to the chapter list? Thanks.

SouthernNights
05-13-2009, 08:20 PM
We have'nt made reservations yet, but will. We love the OBX and Camp Hatteras is great. The food is incredible up there so whatever everyone decides will be good with us!
Looking forward to meeting everyone.

klindgren
05-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Aw come on Hudson....What ya tryin to do.....

Catered seafood dinner
road trip to a seafood restaurant
catered NC barbeque

I mean really. I'm suppose to be attending a Vintage Gold Wing rally that weekend in Bedford, Virginia. Now you're planning all these GREAT food ventures....You're really tempting me to cancel the Gold Wing event and come to Hatteras!!

You know, Goldwingers ride to eat and eat to ride....of course as a camper I'm a certified member of the Locust feeding frenzy group....so this is real tempting....

Keith

boatto5er
05-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Aw come on Hudson....What ya tryin to do.....

Catered seafood dinner
road trip to a seafood restaurant
catered NC barbeque

I mean really. I'm suppose to be attending a Vintage Gold Wing rally that weekend in Bedford, Virginia. Now you're planning all these GREAT food ventures....You're really tempting me to cancel the Gold Wing event and come to Hatteras!!

You know, Goldwingers ride to eat and eat to ride....of course as a camper I'm a certified member of the Locust feeding frenzy group....so this is real tempting....

Keith

Come on Keith,

You know you REALLY want to come down to Hatteras......

boatto5er
05-13-2009, 08:55 PM
We have'nt made reservations yet, but will. We love the OBX and Camp Hatteras is great. The food is incredible up there so whatever everyone decides will be good with us!
Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hi,

It'll be great to have you join us! Call as soon as possible and get your site reserved. And be sure to post your Site # back here on the forum so Hudson and I can keep track of who's coming and where they'll be. We're looking forward to meeting you.

Gus and Debra

Jim & Harriet
05-14-2009, 07:56 AM
the activities you listed sound great. over the years we have done "all of the above" and would be happy to do any / all of them again.
one thing though, these all can be $$$ not $. the last time we did the fishing, it was the same cost even for "watching" - but that may have just been the boat we used.
i am not familiar with the area - are there any seafood shops where we can buy our own and have a group clambake / bbq / dinner? we do that in maine all the time.
maybe another "vote for your favorite" email would work. of course we might vote for all of them. None

trdeal
05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Renee and I would not be interested in the fishing trip,but we both really enjoy seafood and since we are from NC of course we enjoy NC bbq pork.and we would prefer to have it catered. Now I know there is going to be added expense in anything we do like that but that suits us if it does everyone else.

Hudson
05-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Oh jeez, I did forget to mention ... and I kind of figured people would assume this, but these added activities would not be free. Cost for any event could range from $$ to $$$ depending upon how many people participate (more people = lower cost per person usually) and how elaborate/extensive the event (did you want a live band and open bar with that?).

I would of course post in advance the cost per person for any given event before requiring final commitment. It's just that I'm only going to research costs and options for events that generate enough interest to set up.

camperjohn08
05-14-2009, 09:48 PM
It's all well and good to have something catered.... BUT the reason we brought a camper, and to camp is to cook meals either over an open fire, or on a grill. I guess it's our way of relaxing...and getting away from the hussel and bustal..of the regular grind of everyday living...
Just my two cents.;)

By the way, I purchased an Coleman RoadTrip pack-away Portable covered fireplace. Now Nancy & I will be able to have an fire and cook up some Coffee and Grub......at the Sept Rally.:D

Jim & Harriet
05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
being from roanoke we are really looking forward to seeing the ocean and walking on the beach! added activities would be nice, but just being with our heartland-friends is what we are looking forward to.

as camperjohn08 mentioned, we too like doing our own cooking. perhaps a group barbq/clam (crab?) bake might work for one evening. is there a local vendor who might provide just the seafod choices and we could each bring a "side?" does the campground have a place set-up a few grills to share?

this is just an additional two cents from us...;)

Jumpshot
05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Hudson,

Good activity ideas listed... but I agree with the sentiment expressed in the previous posts... lets stay putt:confused: at the campground and enjoy the scenery and Heartland pepes. If you gotta have food... lets have it catered...seafood that is!! Otherwise, hangin out, walking the beach, eating pot-luck/covered dish meals and checking out other 5ers... is OK with us.
My 2cents....:rolleyes:

carolinachrissy
05-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Our daughter is a Junior in Shawnee Council. By the time the Fall Rally happens though, she will have bridged to Cadettes. She earned her Bronze Award this year!! My wife and I are both leaders of her troop. (My wife is an 01 along with another unrelated woman as required when a man is a GS Leader. I'm an 02. Yes, a man can be a Girl Scout, but the background checks are more involved -- which is a good thing I think)

She is homeschooled also ... we love A Beka.
Hey Hudson,

Glad to know there will be another homeschooler (plus hopefully more kids!) for Kelley and Caitlin to hang out with.

We love Girl Scouts, but due to the recent realignments and other issues with GSUSA, I've decided resign as a Co-Advisor to become a Frontier Girls leader (www.frontiergirls.com). Our Frontier Girls troop #112 is the first in NC!. We'll start in the Fall and I can't wait. My girls will still be Girl Scouts, though.

We use an eclectic mix of homeschooling, but may chose a packaged curriculum next year for Kelley, since she's entering high school.

Can't wait to meet everyone in Rodanthe!

-carolinachrissy

carolinachrissy
05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
I am looking at a few activities for the Fall Rally that would need some advanced preparation but are also driven by interest. Would you be interested in any or all of these activities:

Fishing Charter. I hear the fishing there is excellent and there are several charter boats available. I don't fish so I don't know what kind of fishing they have (I might go along on the boat ride for fun). The CG has a fish cleaning area near our group of sites. I need to know how many people are interested so I can pick the right size boat(s).
Catered Seafood Dinner. A seafood restaurant in the area could bring a seafood feast to our meeting hall. I don't eat fish myself but would be happy to arrange this for the group.
Trip to a Seafood Restaurant. Since it will be just after the season, some restaurants will be closed. Our friend Merrin at Camp Hatteras has some pull with some of those restaurants and could arrange a group dinner for us even at the closed ones. Merrin even has access to a charter coach we could hire inexpensively to save us all from burning our diesels (plus everyone could drink with impunity too!)
Catered Barbecue. North Carolina is famous for their pork barbecue. We could get a pig picker to bring a feast to our meeting hall. I'll bet if enough people are interested they could even do a whole pig right there for us. I've done this before and can tell you it is extremely tasty.

You don't have to decide now since these things can probably be set up in August sometime. But anything I can set up now (while I am planning all my summer trips anyway) is something I don't have to worry about later on (while I am on my summer trips).

If we want to do one of the dinner things we might do it Friday night so people don't have to cook right after setting up their rigs. If it turns out that one or more of these things is something that is favored by people who will all be there on Thursday night (or Sunday night), then we might do that thing on one of those nights.

BTW, Gus, would you please email this message to the chapter list? Thanks.
Having been in NC since 1980, I have experience with all of your ideas.

Idea 1: A charter fishing trip is great, but you'll rise real early, drink often (if that's your proclivity) and early in the hot sun, bounce around on the ocean and catch some great fish. In October, the King Mackerel are running and they're fun to catch! Don't know about September, though. You'll be spent upon returning, and because you'll want to rest/sleep, for me that's more of a designated event trip for fishing, drinking and resting only. But I was a lightweight when I did that some 16-18 years ago! This would be toward the bottom of my list today.

That area is famous for surf fishing, too. So you might want to consider googling bait and tackle shops in the area and seeing if you can rent the huge, mondo poles that are used in surf fishing, as well as getting some expert advice about the sport. People drive their trucks on the sand (or used to?) and park near the water's edge using pole holders mounted on the front of the truck to assist in their surf fishing.

Idea #2: NC seafood is delicious, especially if it's cooked Calabash style, which means very lightly breaded and fried to perfection. It's not real greasy and is delightful. I'd love to try clams again, too, as I have memories of clam bakes when I was little in upstate New York and fond memories of delicious clams in Hawaii. This would be a good choice for me, especially with all the fixins.

Idea #3: Chartered Bus to restaurant would be fun, especially the drinking without driving part. Had a great experience 20 years ago touring the Research Triangle Park area in a chartered bus with neighbors, but for this weekend, this would be at the bottom of my list.

Idea #4: A pig pickin'! Now that's what I'm talking about! That is a party unto itself. When done at someone's home, the cooking of an entire pig starts after midnight and continues into the next day until it's time to eat. Always a crowd around to keep the cook company and plenty of drinks to share. Maybe we can get the cook to hang out near the conference center/meeting hall. Some lawn games (badmitten, volleyball, croquet) would be good, too.

Eastern NC BBQ is typically a vinegar based pulled pork (and sometimes, spicy), but you could get the cook to leave sauce off for those who love Kansas City tomato BBQ sauce. Coleslaw, brunswick stew, hushpuppies are also standard fare at a pig pickin'.

We'll also have the sound in our backyard. What a biology lab for the kids (young and old) to explore, with lots of water creatures and plants to investigate. Then there's the ocean. So much to do, so little time.

We're really looking forward to going and doing whatever the group decides to do.

-carolinachrissy

klindgren
05-17-2009, 04:11 PM
OK I give Up!! It sounds like you all are going to have too much fun. Can't let that happen without us.:rolleyes: Count us in. I've canceled my Vintage Gold Wing trip and am coming to the beach. We got Site # 386. We'll be coming in on Thursday the 24th and leaving Sunday the 27th.

Looking forward to meeting all these folks I've been "talking" to on the forum. Should be a lot of fun.:)

Keith

boatto5er
05-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Woo-Hoo!!! Way to go Keith! We're glad you decided to do the right thing:rolleyes::eek:.

I owned (and rode of course) a Gold Wing for several years in the late seventies, early eighties out in Oklahoma, but was too big a chicken:o to bring it to Northern Virginia with me when my "Uncle" moved me here in the mid-eighties. Mine was a bright yellow 1976 GL1000. I actually found it while my wife was at a yard sale. It was in the garage and looked pristine. Found out the owner had bought in brand new in 76, put 1800 miles on it, dropped it once while sitting still, and was afraid to get back on it. Had been in the garage untouched for 2 years. I got it for $2000. Had to put in a new water pump and replace all the seals (but that was pretty cheap and actually a lot of fun). It had no fairings or bags (they didn't come with them then) so I added a set of Vetter black fairings and bags. Back then the Army issue PT suit was also yellow and black. I won't tell you how many times I was told I looked like a bumble bee going down the road at 5:30 in the morning!

klindgren
05-18-2009, 04:33 AM
I've got a 1975 Red Wing. That's the first year Honda came out with the GL1000. Bought this one 5 years ago as a basket case and have been slowly restoring it to original condition. When I got it, it had a vetter fairing and bags on it. Took them off and put it back to stock.

When I met Carol, I was living in Silver Springs and she in Alexandria. I had a little Honda 360 we'd run around on. Back then I was too young to realize how crazy Northern Virginia traffic was to be riding a motorcycle in.

Saw a new 1976 yellow Wing right after they came out while I was working in DC and thought to myself "why would anyone want to ride something that big...1,000 cc's is just too much power." Of course now I'm riding one with 1800 cc's wondering when they are going to make one bigger. Go Figure!!

We'll have to swap Gold Wing stories at Hatteras. Looking forward to a fun weekend.

Keith

SouthernNights
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Site 386

WOO-HOO
See you guys there.
Just a thought for an activity. Ocracoke is a lot of fun. And the ferry is free!

boatto5er
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Great to have you on board Larry and Samantha! We're up to 18 rigs already. See you there.

P.S. Can you check back with the campground? You and Keith Lindgren are now both on #386!! That could be interesting...

Gus and Debra

SouthernNights
05-19-2009, 03:44 AM
Uh oh, better bring the tent.:eek:
I will call them today. Thank you for the info.

klindgren
05-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Great to have you on board Larry and Samantha! We're up to 18 rigs already. See you there.

P.S. Can you check back with the campground? You and Keith Lindgren are now both on #386!! That could be interesting...

Gus and Debra

Let's see...if I move my rig to the far right on 386 and Larry parks his far left.....hmmm could prove to be interesting. Gotta warn you though Larry, ya'd better let me get there first cuz I ain't the most skill backer-inner with this new rig yet....:D

SouthernNights
05-19-2009, 04:42 AM
Keith,
I think this site is right next to the parking lot.If you would sub lease the electric and cable to me I can set up there.:rolleyes:

I will call Merrin today. Maybe I misunderstood her. Sometimes I don't hear everything I am listening to.

boatto5er
05-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Maybe you could line up side by side, but pointing in opposite directions so the slideouts line up like puzzle pieces. That would give both of you some added stability!:D

SouthernNights
05-19-2009, 02:22 PM
ok, I am now on site 388 unless someone else has that one.:D

klindgren
05-19-2009, 07:48 PM
ok, I am now on site 388 unless someone else has that one.:D

Well, I guess this means we don't have to squeeze together. Oh well, we'll still be neighbors.:D

boatto5er
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Darn!:( And I was really looking forward to the interlocking slideouts:eek:.

SouthernNights
05-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Darn!:( And I was really looking forward to the interlocking slideouts:eek:.
Well, we could always crowd whoever is on 387 and have 3 trailers interlock

klindgren
05-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Well, we could always crowd whoever is on 387 and have 3 trailers interlock

Excellent Idea!!! Thet one's right on the water so we could sit and watch beautiful sunsets together. We could call ourselves the "Interlocking Trio"

boatto5er
05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Excellent Idea!!! Thet one's right on the water so we could sit and watch beautiful sunsets together. We could call ourselves the "Interlocking Trio"

There is a very distinguished music/performing arts academy for high schoolers in Michigan called "Interlochen". When I saw your comment, that school immediately came to mind, but we would have to change the name to "Interlochen Trio". Now we have to figure out what kind of music you would be making!:D

SouthernNights
05-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Boy, this thread is spiraling downward fast:eek:

Jim & Harriet
05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
this thread has really been "unravelling" :o

back to the main topic. last time we were at the beach (many years ago) we had a great time flying kites. do folks stilll do that?

klindgren
05-20-2009, 06:37 PM
They must Jim. I have people telling me to go fly a kite all the time:confused:

SouthernNights
05-20-2009, 07:26 PM
They must Jim. I have people telling me to go fly a kite all the time:confused:
Now that's funny.

ok, sorry, back to the thread.

boatto5er
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
And now - hopefully - we return to our regularly scheduled programming:rolleyes:.

schipperhaven
05-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi, folks. We are "lurkers" from Annapolis, MD who own a 2008 Bighorn 3670. Gus has us on the mailing list so we can catch up with you when we can. We haven't "joined" because we already do a monthly thing with our GS group and also travel away from the area at least 6 months a year.

That all being said, we have signed up for Rodanthe, arriving on 9/25. Merrin has us in site 391. We will be elsewhere in the area earlier that week, so we can be there before noon. We very much look forward to meeting y'all -- can't wait!

Don and Dot Ferris

boatto5er
05-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Hi, folks. We are "lurkers" from Annapolis, MD who own a 2008 Bighorn 3670. Gus has us on the mailing list so we can catch up with you when we can. We haven't "joined" because we already do a monthly thing with our GS group and also travel away from the area at least 6 months a year.

That all being said, we have signed up for Rodanthe, arriving on 9/25. Merrin has us in site 391. We will be elsewhere in the area earlier that week, so we can be there before noon. We very much look forward to meeting y'all -- can't wait!

Don and Dot Ferris

That's terrific Don. We look forward to meeting you. I've added you to the rally list. There'll be more information coming out as we get closer to the rally.

Gus

Kashman
06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Karen and I along with "The Colonel" will be there, site #393. Looking forward to it. We're one of the Maryland members.

boatto5er
06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Karen and I along with "The Colonel" will be there, site #393. Looking forward to it. We're one of the Maryland members.

Mark and Karen,

Thgat's great. We're looking forward to seeing you again. Looks like you got a little better site this time. Hopefully no need for the 100 ft TV cable:D.

mjatwalker
06-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Kashman, We are also Maryland members. Look forward to meeting you.

Mike

dbylinski
06-15-2009, 03:12 PM
We just spoke with Merrin and will be joining you from NJ. We will be in site 408 and arriving on the 24th.

boatto5er
06-15-2009, 05:14 PM
That's terrific Debbie and John!:) I've added you to the attendee list. We look forward to meeting you. See you in September.

Gus

dbylinski
06-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I believe we will meet in August at the PA Rally. Looking foward to all the fun, everywhere, with everyone!!!

boatto5er
06-15-2009, 08:24 PM
I believe we will meet in August at the PA Rally. Looking foward to all the fun, everywhere, with everyone!!!

You are absolutely right! I just noticed that while reading through the PA thread:o.

hillsonwheels
06-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Wagonmaster!

Is this rally open to all Heartland owners or are you keeping all the good stuff for the VA folks? :rolleyes: We're discussing this one especially since we had so much fun the past few days at the national rally in Elkhart :D. Is there still room at the inn or were you limited on the spaces available?

Dick

boatto5er
06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey Wagonmaster!

Is this rally open to all Heartland owners or are you keeping all the good stuff for the VA folks? :rolleyes: We're discussing this one especially since we had so much fun the past few days at the national rally in Elkhart :D. Is there still room at the inn or were you limited on the spaces available? Not sure

Dick

I'll answer for our Wagonmaster. We'd love to have you join us! As far as I know, there's still "plenty of room at the inn". If you look at the first few entries in this thread, you'll see the information about the campground, how to make a reservation, etc. I know there's still a few months to go before the rally, but I recommend you get your name on the list soon. Be sure to let us know your site number and arrival date if you decide to attend. Not sure we can duplicate the excitement of the National Rally, but we plan on having a good time!

Flying Dutchman
06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
:)We will make it to the rally. I have made reservations with Merrin to arrive Saturday 9/26 as we will already be at the Outer Banks in our timeshare the week before. Since we arrive a day late, we will stay a day longer and leave on Monday. We have been assigned site #409. Now all I have to do is find a place to park the Sundance for the week we are at the condo. Chesapeake RV Solutions to the rescue!:D
I know this rally will be as good or better than the spring rally at Misty Mountains. It will be great seeing "old" friends again, and meeting new ones. This Heartland family just continues to grow.
Talking about Heartland Family, we just returned from the Goshen rally, WOW, what fun!!! I think there were 123 Heartland 5ers from 25 States and also Canada. Great people, good food, just tons of fun. We are already planning to attend 2010 in Nashville.
We also met a a nice family from Tennessee as we were parked next to each other, and since there is no Tennessee chapter I informed them of our fall rally and extended an invitation. They are considering coming. So the Virginia chapter may also host Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and maybe Tennessee as well. That's what I call a mini-Heartland national rally. Yoo Hoo!!!:)

Hudson
06-16-2009, 07:44 PM
You know, I'm beginning to agree with you about that. We're at or over 25 rigs I think, and we're talking what, like seven different states represented? Yeah man, you know it is not often that I have reason to pat myself on the back and even less often that I'd even do it if I could, but jeepers! First time out of the chute as a wagon master (and I've only ever attended just one rally) ... and I think I may have knocked this one out of the park. None Now of course I need to back all that up by making it fun for everyone. I am so excited about this.

davebennington
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey don't forget Randy Allen from Georgia he said he was going to try to attend. He is making contact with North Carolina and South Carolina folks to see if they can attend.

Dave

boatto5er
06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
The more, the merrier:D! How many campsites on the sound side of the campground? We may fill it up:eek:. If Hillsonwheels can make it, they are really from Florida, along will Randy Allen from GA, that would give us most of the East Coast! So far we have NJ, MD, VA, NC, and SC. I think it's OK to pat yourself on the back Hudson.

By the way - glad you were able to work it in Eric!

mjatwalker
06-18-2009, 08:21 AM
I will pat your back Hudson...a couple times. Great job!

Mike

camperjohn08
06-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I would also say "Great Job Hutson":D
But it seems Nancy and I are the Dwarfs here... We seem to be the only couple with a Travel trailer. Or as the joke goes, our "mini-moble pup tent on wheels"....:D
But with that said, we are both really looking forward to the rally, Can't wait till Sept..
John & Nancy

Heartland North Trail 21FBS

SouthernNights
06-18-2009, 03:52 PM
But it seems Nancy and I are the Dwarfs here... We seem to be the only couple with a Travel trailer. Or as the joke goes, our "mini-moble pup tent on wheels"....:D
But with that said, we are both really looking forward to the rally, Can't wait till Sept..
John & Nancy

You might be the only ones with a TT, but maybe you know something the rest of us don't...but maybe we should.:eek:

truknutt
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
John & Nancy

Nothing at all wrong with a Travel Trailer. There are some beautiful State Parks we can't visit now because of our gargantuan Cyclone. Bigger is not always better! ;)

boatto5er
06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Nothing at all wrong with a Travel Trailer. There are some beautiful State Parks we can't visit now because of our gargantuan Cyclone. Bigger is not always better! ;)

Now if we can just get you to come down for our fall rally:). Plenty of sites that will hold a Cyclone!
Gus

HowardBJr
06-18-2009, 09:45 PM
John & Nancy

John,

Kathy and I would have been glad to trade our “rustic cabin” we had at the Spring Rally for your North Trail. Our little Rosie sure liked the cabin however if we stay in that cabin again our first modification will be to add some plumbing. Your North Trail is five star accommodations compared to our “rustic cabin.” The quarter mile walk at 2:00 AM to use the bathroom sure got old. Just think your North Trail has indoor plumbing. What a luxury!

We’re looking forward to see you and Nancy again.

Howard

dieselsweetheart
06-19-2009, 07:47 AM
John & Nancy...maybe your TT is a step towards the 5...that's what happened to us... but we didn't have a Heartland product before the Bighorn...so not much fun in that... as long as you have the Heartland there's FUN to be had!! I have been to this campground in Rodanthe twice and really enjoyed it. There is a lot to do within driving distance too... the Lighthouse is my favorite. Take the evening tour and climb it.. (if you dare, it's DARK in there)... Wright Bros museum...very nice... hope you have greater luck with the weather than we had in May when we were there. A 36 hour torrential downpour with high winds was no one's idea of a good time!!

carolinachrissy
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
We also have a travel trailer and love it. Our goal one day is to have a fifth wheel, but we might have to rethink that in the future after reading your comments here.

Great job, Wagonmaster on such an exciting location! We're really excited to meet y'all. Camp Hatteras's Sound side campground looks like it holds 60+ sites.

-carolinachrissy & clan

Hudson
06-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Well gang, I only blocked out 25 sites for the VA Fall Rally. Since those are all full now, I'm going to see how many more they can block off for us.

Obviously there are lots of sites at that campground and it is after their peak season. But I'd like to have them block off sites explicitly for us so that we can all stay together rather than have one tight group with the rest of us scattered around the rest of the campground.

I'll post here once I've gotten more sites locked down within our rally group area. Don't worry ... there's plenty of room at the inn ... I just want to try to get us all in the same wing.

Go ahead and keep booking sites for the rally. If anyone gets assigned sites away from the group I'll see if Merrin can juggle things to get everyone into the group's area and we'll let affected people know about any such changes. If you got a campsite away from the group *on purpose* for some reason, then let me or Merrin (or preferably both of us) know so we don't move you.

dbylinski
06-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey Husdon - Hello Gus

I called and extended our stay arriving on the 19th and departing the 27th. Don't worry we'll leave a light on for ya!

boatto5er
06-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Hey Husdon - Hello Gus

I called and extended our stay arriving on the 19th and departing the 27th. Don't worry we'll leave a light on for ya!

You guys are camping machines!:eek: Would you be sure to sweep off our pad before we come in:D?

SmokeyBare
06-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Leaning on my elbows.... sitting here on the edge of my tree Stump... hoping to hear the Park opens more sites....

Sure would be great to spend a little time with our Extended Heartland Family... on the Sea Shore...

Marv

dbylinski
06-21-2009, 07:17 AM
We're not really camping machines. When your employer gives you vacation and then says use it or lose it, well you know how that's gotta go! I'm just doing what the boss suggests and infuriating him in the process. Thanks to HOC for giving me the reason - the Bighorn for giving me the means - and my infuriated boss for the financial support! BTW, what is this "sweep" you speak of???? Happy Father's Day!

Marv, I hope you get in on this 'cause I feel a little guilty that I can extend and you can't get in yet.

Hudson
06-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I know that at least one person has very recently canceled so at least one site has come available. No one who calls Merrin should have been turned away...

SmokeyBare
06-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Boat to 5er,

I was able to sign up for the Rally !! After reading Post # 92 I wasn't sure if sites had yet been added... Thank You for helping clear that misinformation up.

I was assigned site # 390.... We look forward to joining you.... Thanks !!!

I sent you a Private message through the fourm...

mjatwalker
06-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi Marv, Welcome to the party.

Mike

Hudson
06-21-2009, 06:03 PM
I had a nice long talk with Merrin today. According to her records we have 29 rigs signed up which means there are at least two rigs attending that have not told Gus or me they are going (not counting Marv because I talked to Merrin after she gave Marv a site so Marv is #29 so far). And the person who I heard had to "cancel" had not yet told Merrin so since he has paid his deposit and not yet canceled with her, that site is still his until he does. Once she gets his cancelation that brings us back to 28 rigs right now.

As far as additional space goes, Merrin says we are practically limited to about 60 rigs due to prior non-rally reservations and due to rig sizes. If for some reason we get more than that she will either have to put part of the group on the other side of the highway, or we will have to see if we can possibly convince the shorter trailers to move to smaller sites in the group area to fit more of the larger rigs in. I'm not sure that will be an issue though since we aren't approaching the 60 mark right now and don't seem likely to hit that number. :cool:

Randy
06-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Hudson, I am going to guess that one of the other sites might be my bride and myself on 406. We will plan on arriving on the 23rd and leaving on the
27th. Santha made reservations earlier this week but forget to ask about a site number. We plan on meeting a bunch of new friends.
We still have a few decisions to make about either extending or shortening
our trip but we will be there.
Randy and Santha

jbeletti
06-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Randy/Santha and Marv/Karen - you guys really get around to a lot of Heartland rallies! Giving me a run for my money. Wish I could make this one, Hudson, Dave and Gus are doing a fantastic job by the sound of it.

Jim

davebennington
06-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Jim,

Fly in to the airport for a day we can pick you up and get you back in time for the next event.

Dave

jbeletti
06-22-2009, 07:07 AM
I looked into that Dave. Nearest airport to get there from Chicago is not close at all. You guys are in your own world on that strip of land. Very cool though. Have fun.

Jim

boatto5er
06-22-2009, 07:12 AM
I looked into that Dave. Nearest airport to get there from Chicago is not close at all. You guys are in your own world on that strip of land. Very cool though. Have fun.

Jim

That was probably the idea!!:eek: We'll miss you, but I think we'll have a pretty good time.

boatto5er
06-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

Here's the current attendee list for the rally. We're out of sync with the campground on the number of attendees (they show 2 more than us:confused::)), so if you've signed up with the campground and your name is not on the list, please let us know as soon as possible.

forumname, Last & first names, site #
srakers, Akers, Sam and Chrissy 382
Randy Allen, Randy and Santha 406
SouthernNights, Bandstra, Larry and Samantha 388
beasleyrl, Beasley, Roger and Kelley 381
dbylinski, Bylinski, John and Debbie 408
HLJRD1111, Dahlgren, Jim and Harriet 324
trdeal, Deal, Terry and Renee 377
schipperhaven, Ferris, Don and Dot 391
Boat to 5er, Funderburg, Gus and Debra 378
happycampernc & fordtech 2008(Ken), Gallimore, Ken and Marj 326
Hudson, Hendren, Hudson and Tracy 379
cjhicks, Hicks, Calvin and Judy 383
N/A, Hill, Bob and Stephanie 387
Tom J, Johnson, Tom and Sue 392
camperjohn08, Latham, John and Nancy 384
Kashman, Lawrence, Mark and Karen 393
lew2885,Lewis JP and Rita 394
klindgren, Lindgren, Keith and Carol 386
andy, Massengill, Donald and Cynthia 389
candleberryhill, Nelson, Paul and Elaine 376
SmokeyBare, Osborne, Marv and Karen 395
Flying Dutchman, van Opstal, Eric and Dorothy 409
mjatwalker, Walker, Mike and Ann 323
knjp123, Wolbeck, Kevin and Nelly 325
Rdreamva, Worsman, Gary and Paula 385
davebennington, Yocum, Dave and Julie 407

Sorry for the alignment - my nice excel table didn't paste very neatly.

Gus

carolinachrissy
06-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Hey Gus,

Thanks for taking such good care of this group!

Since this is our first rally, I'm wondering if we'll all get a list of these names and sites when we get there, so that we will know who's in our Rally and who isn't.

Hudson
06-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Merrin is faxing me her official list of who is in what site. As far as the printable list, I will CorelDRAW! up a map with everyone's name on their site location. A handy thing to have. I'll mail that out about a week before the rally because I assume things won't change that much in the last week. I could put a chart/table on the back with site #, name, state, rig type, etc.

Since there will be so many people, I'm going to try to lase some badges for everyone. That means that before the rally I'll be emailing some of you to get names of children, etc (and ask permission to make name badges for your children). Since I am horrible at names, I am hoping to get the kind of badges you can wear several days in a row. Yes, I am so bad with names that I could spend an entire weekend talking with someone interesting and not remember their name. At other times I could meet someone, hear their name once, and remember it forever. I dunno, but I really like name tags, and yes, if you are wearing one I will probably look at it more than once during a single conversation. Consider it a compliment that I like you enough to try extra hard to learn your name :)

Randy
06-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Hudson, If you are going to the expense of name tags or other items along that line let the group chip in and pay the cost. This was brought up in a conservation I had with David Yocum in goshen about this Rally. He mentioned that there might be some costs. I do not have a problem with contributing to the event. The worst thing to happen to an organizer is to have to do all the work and then end up having to foot the bill. Let all of the group share the costs. Let us all work to a very enjoyable September weekend on the outer banks. Randy

Jim & Harriet
06-23-2009, 04:52 AM
hi all...
with everything that you are doing why not let each site make their own family name-tags. that way no one has to buy or make all of them. they certainly do not have to be elaborate. just large enough to read easily.
just a thought...

trdeal
06-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Hudson, If you are going to the expense of name tags or other items along that line let the group chip in and pay the cost. This was brought up in a conservation I had with David Yocum in goshen about this Rally. He mentioned that there might be some costs. I do not have a problem with contributing to the event. The worst thing to happen to an organizer is to have to do all the work and then end up having to foot the bill. Let all of the group share the costs. Let us all work to a very enjoyable September weekend on the outer banks. Randy
I agree.I have been in the position of organizing something and then also end up with some additional costs that no one else seem to realize were there. Renee and I are not opposed to helping out.

dbylinski
06-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Hudson & Gus

If you want help with this one - I got everything you need no cost to you at all! Maybe a wonderful design too! Let me know

boatto5er
06-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Hudson & Gus

If you want help with this one - I got everything you need no cost to you at all! Maybe a wonderful design too! Let me know

This could be good practice for getting things rolling with your new chapter! Thanks for the offer. I'll talk to Hudson.

jbeletti
06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
While not everyone's style, the Too Crazy Ladies (http://www.toocrazyladies.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=page&id=28) (575-525-0141) make badges for many RV clubs and they worked with me on a design where they place a full-color sticker of the Heartland Owners Club logo onto a piece of plastic permanent badge material. Then they engrave onto that with the club name, your club number etc.

I have a single badge. Here's what mine is similar to. It has a pin-style clip on the back-side:
http://www.toocrazyladies.com/zencart/images/attributes/HEARTLANDSQUAREbadge-150.gif

Here's what many club members had made while at the rally in Goshen. A 5th wheel badge with club number engraved, a name hanger badge plus a hanger for each Heartland rally they've been to:
http://www.toocrazyladies.com/zencart/images/attributes/HEARTLANDrallyBADGE-250.gif

They ship these badges as well.

Jim

Hudson
06-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Camp Hatteras has let us know that the deadline for signing up for the Fall Rally is August 24. So while there is no urgent, "drop what you're doing now" kind of rush, it means you should not wait until the last minute. If you are sitting on the fence about this, just sign up anyway. You only have to put down $45 to hold your site and Merrin says she will refund a deposit if you need to cancel.

If you wait until after 8/24 to sign up, you can still get any available space, but you will pay the regular price which is *substantially* more expensive.

Hudson
06-29-2009, 10:28 AM
I just learned something from Merrin about fires at the campground. There is a rule (law actually) which says "no open fires" within the campground.

However, apparently you are permitted to have open pit fires on the ocean beach if it is low tide and you dig your fire pit below the high tide line. (That way when the tide comes back in the ocean will clean the fire pit away).

I have no idea what time the tides will be but will find a tide chart as the rally gets closer. They will probably even know the tide schedules at the camp office.

Depending upon the tides, this could be good news for open fire lovers and weenie/marshmallow roasters. Not a lot of help for those who want to grill steaks and bake potatoes on an open fire

SouthernNights
06-29-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.saltwatertides.com/cgi-local/neatlantic.cgi

Hudson
07-01-2009, 07:07 PM
:) Wow, thanks! That is handy to keep in my bookmarks folder.

HowardBJr
07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I just made my reservation and will be in site 405. We will not have our Heartland by then so I’ll be in a tent. I’m not sure if my tent will be an upgrade to the “rustic cabin” we had at the spring rally or not. I get a full hookup so I guess it’s an upgrade. Well at least site 405 is closer to the restroom than the rustic cabin was.:D I’ll be by myself since Kathy has to work that weekend and Rosie will stay home to keep her company.

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Howard

Jim-n-Leslie
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Leslie and I are glad to announce we have our site -- we'll be at site 395. We will be arriving on 24 Sep :D and are planning on heading back to VA Beach on 27 Sep :(. We are looking forward to seeing everyone there with our new 5th wheel and our first RV Rally!
Jim

boatto5er
07-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I sent an email out last night to everyone that I have on my rally attendee list. If you are signed up and didn't get an email about ordering T-Shirts, let me know ASAP so i can get my list corrected. You can email me at: g_funderburg@yahoo.com (note: there is an underscore between the g and f).

Thanks,

Gus

timdebs
07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Gus, we (Tim and Debbie) have site number 396. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

boatto5er
07-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Gus, we (Tim and Debbie) have site number 396. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Terrific:)! I'll get a copy of the T-shirt info to you tonight when I get home from work:(.

Gus

Jim-n-Leslie
07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Tim & Debbie -
It looks like we will be neighbors during the rally. Leslie & I look forward to meeting you. Take care!
Jim

boatto5er
07-14-2009, 08:11 AM
We are now at 30 rigs for the fall rally:). A big thanks to all who are attending. And a HUGE thanks to HUDSON for coordinating the rally, and also to those who are helping out with T-Shirts and Name Tags.

timdebs
07-14-2009, 08:14 AM
We also are looking forward to it. This will be our first rally with Heartland.

mjatwalker
07-14-2009, 11:35 AM
30 Rigs Thats Great!!!

fordtech 2008
07-15-2009, 06:57 AM
looks like we are going to have a great time. we are really looking forward to meeting everybody.

klindgren
07-15-2009, 08:55 PM
30 rigs....Wow houd a thunk it!! Sounds to like its going to be are ball. Can't wait. Is it September yet???

boatto5er
07-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Courtesy of Harriett Dahlgren (and Woodalls), here's a few things to see (day trip) in the Cape Hatteras area (this might be especially useful for those of you arriving early or leaving late). If you have any other local places of interest, feel free to mention them.

North Carolina offers a wide range of opportunities for relaxation, fun in the sun and adventure. It is also a state rich with culture and importance in American history. The Old North State enjoys a moderate climate in the summer, averaging 70 or so degrees, and in the wintertime it dips down into the mid-40s. No matter what time of year you visit there’s plenty to do, whether it’s hiking in the majestic Great Smoky Mountains in spring and summer or skiing and snowboarding in the winter. This One Tank Trip from Woodall’s (http://www.woodalls.com/?effortID=952&utm_source=RV_dotnet&utm_medium=onetanktripblog_weblink&utm_campaign=RV_dot_031909) [1] is sure to set you on a course for a wonderful coastal vacation.

http://blog.rv.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/nc-route-map.jpgNew Bern
Let’s start off in New Bern, the second oldest city in North Carolina. There are many fun and interesting things to do in this city, from investigating her many historical sites to cruising down any of several rivers in a sailboat or canoe. At the top of the list of historical monuments is the Tryon Palace (http://www.tryonpalace.org/) [2], which was the home of British Royal Governor William Tryon. The fully restored residence was built in 1770; the grounds feature four separate homes containing a collection of art and antiques that must be seen to be believed.

A fun site to visit while in New Bern is the “Birthplace of Pepsi.” It’s a pharmacy on Middle Street, where a local soda jerk created the beverage that would later be known as Pepsi-Cola. The store features all kinds of Pepsi-related merchandise, so be sure to grab a few souvenirs while you’re there.
Emerald Isle
Getting out on the road, head south on US-17 for a little more than 20 miles, then take state highway 58 for another 26 miles until you reach Emerald Isle. The town is a beautiful part of the Crystal Coast (http://www.crystalcoastnc.org/) [3], and draws as many as 50,000 tourists during summertime. It’s a perfect place to break out the beach gear, grab a rod and reel to try your luck at the fishing pier, go jogging along the shoreline, or pedal along one of the many bike paths. One Friday a month in summer, Emerald Isle hosts Friday Free Flicks (http://www.visitnc.com/events/view/37550/friday-free-flicks) [4]; the movies are always family-oriented in theme, and it’s recommended you bring chairs and a blanket for your own comfort.
http://blog.rv.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tyron-palace-north-carolina.jpgCedar Island
A short 4-mile trip east on US-70 takes you to Cedar Island. While you’re there, take advantage of the local horse stables, where you can rent horses for a ride along the beach. Also, the Cedar Island National Wildlife Refuge (http://www.fws.gov/cedarisland/) [5] is a gorgeous place to take a boat out on the water and explore 15,000 acres of nature preserve. Bring the camera!
At Cedar Island, take the ferry over to Ocracoke (http://www.ocracoke-nc.com/) [6]. The ferry is able to accommodate even the largest RV, so no worries there. Once back on dry land, there are several fun things to do: check out exhibits devoted to notorious pirates, enjoy the view while parasailing, or rent a Jeep for a ride down the miles of sandy beaches.
Hatteras
It’s a 20 mile trip eastbound to Hatteras, home of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (http://www.hatteras-nc.com/light/) [7], a popular visitor spot. While in Hatteras, you can rent jet skiis and waverunners for a bit of high-speed fun out on the crystal blue water. The lighthouses at Hatteras, Ocracoke, Bodie Island, Roanoke Marshes and Currituck Beach comprise a fascinating tour along the barrier islands of the Outer Banks that will entertain the whole family. The Outer Banks also boast some of the finest fishing on the Eastern Seaboard, so charter a boat and reel in as many mackerel, flounder, trout and stripers as possible!
Leaving Hatteras by way of Highway 12 north, you arrive at Roanoke Island roughly 60 miles later. Roanoke Island is the setting for one of the biggest unsolved mysteries in American history: how a colony of 117 men, women, and children vanished without a trace 400 years ago. Make sure to visit the Fort Raleigh Historic Site (http://www.nps.gov/fora/) [8], where an outdoor drama depicts this baffling situation.
Kitty Hawk
Seventeen miles farther north on Highway 12 is the birthplace of aviation, Kitty Hawk. The Wright Brothers National Memorial (http://www.nps.gov/wrbr/) [9] stands as a proud monument to these pioneers of modern flight; exhibits tell the story of their tireless efforts to put man in the air, and full-size replicas of the glider and the flying machine are on display. Climb up Kill Devil Hill while you’re there and stand on the very spot the Wright brothers performed their tests and experiments.
http://blog.rv.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/nc-aquarium-sea-otter.jpgManteo
Proceeding west on US-64 takes you on an 18-mile trip to Manteo, which is a prime place to pull over and enjoy antiquing in the town’s shopping district. If you’re feeling outdoorsy, Manteo has plenty of vendors offering chartered sailboats or bicycle tours of the surrounding environs. The North Carolina Aquarium (http://www.ncaquariums.com/roanoke-island) [10] gives you an up-close look at various types of fish, river otters, and sharks in an array of saltwater habitats. It’s a great place to spend a big chunk of the day – especially watching the mischievous little otters!
Edenton
Sixty-six miles farther west on US-64 and a quick merge with US-17B, leads you into your final destination of Edenton (http://www.edenton.org/) [11]. This is truly a beautiful city, established in the 17th century, and still features a good portion of its historical buildings. A guided walking tour of the historic district provides a fascinating look at a town that has been hailed as one of the most beautiful in the South. Its quiet charm and breathtaking views across Edenton Bay make it an ideal spot for a romantic getaway.

boatto5er
07-21-2009, 05:12 PM
I posted a list of rally attendees on the first post in this thread. It's a PDF file, so all you need is Acrobat Reader to view it. If you don't have Acrobat Reader, you can get it at: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

boatto5er
08-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone,

Nothing new to report:confused:. I just need to keep my fingers exercised with some typing:rolleyes:. Hudson should have a draft agenda out soon. We'll share that as soon as we get a few loose ends tied up. Got a lot of folks coming to the rally, from as far north as New Jersey to as far south as Georgia - should be a load of fun. We're planning lots of games and activities, contest and door prizes (nothing fancy - sorry, no new Landmarks), and of course, lots of comraderie and food. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Gus

mitchnpam
08-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Gus, We're in the mountains of NC (transplants like most), getting ready to pick up our 1st RV, a 2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK. Wondering if you had any spaces left at the Fall Rally. Figured we would meet and learn from the experts (the owners). Mitch

Hudson
08-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Gus, We're in the mountains of NC (transplants like most), getting ready to pick up our 1st RV, a 2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK. Wondering if you had any spaces left at the Fall Rally. Figured we would meet and learn from the experts (the owners). Mitch

Come and join us! There are at least two slots left right now. I'm pretty sure you can meet a Sundance owner or two there. And since you've got a 2010, you could be one of our featured rigs for the rig tour.

boatto5er
08-12-2009, 12:08 PM

As Hudson stated, please do join us. Just call the campground (see the first post in this thread for the number) and make your reservation. Be sure to tell them you are with the Heartland Owners Club Rally in Sept, and make sure they give you a site # while you are on the phone with them. Then come back here to the forum and post your information. Sounds like a lot, but it's actually pretty easy. Hudson will be out of the area for a couple of weeks, camping in New England (lucky guy), but you can email me with any additional questions or issues.

Look forward to seeing you!

Gus

Jim & Harriet
08-12-2009, 01:54 PM
hi mitchnpam,
nice to meet you here in the forum and soon at the rally. we have a 2009 sundance 3300sk. i've wondered about the 2010's - if there were any major changes. maybe we can discuss it in september - see you there.
jim & harriet

ps: we are from roanoke, va - where in the nc mountains are you?

mitchnpam
08-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Jim & Harriet,

We are from Burnsville, NC. I'll keep trying to get a spot at the campground for the fall rally. You are more than welcome to tour our 2010. We pick it up Thusday so, we haven't toured it ourselves We look forward to meeting everyone. Mitch & Pam

Hudson
08-14-2009, 01:35 PM
... I'll keep trying to get a spot at the campground for the fall rally. ... Mitch & Pam

Does that mean you called Camp Hatteras and they said the rally spaces are sold out? I'm kind of surprised by that ... if that is the case, let me know and I will arrange for more sites to be made available.

mitchnpam
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Hudson,

I just kept missing Merrin when I would call, got her today though. We'll be in site #403. Arriving on the 9/24 - 9/27. I'll have to see if we can back the thing up, might be entertaining for some. We look forward to the rally. Mitch

boatto5er
08-15-2009, 06:57 PM
That's terrific. We look forward to watching you back up (oops! I meant meeting youNone). Seriously, find a big vacant parking lot and hone your backing skills there. It really helps. See you in Sept!

Gus

Hudson
08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Hudson,

I just kept missing Merrin when I would call, got her today though. We'll be in site #403. Arriving on the 9/24 - 9/27. I'll have to see if we can back the thing up, might be entertaining for some. We look forward to the rally. Mitch

Oh yeah, Merrin does not work Thursdays or Fridays. I think she works late shift (till 9pm) on Wednesdays. Anyway, glad you booked in. It should be a great time for all.

BTW, I toured the campground a couple of weeks ago -- midday on their most popular checkin/checkout day -- so the rally area only had a half a dozen or so rigs in it at the time. I can tell you from first hand observation, these sites are easy to back into. You should have no trouble at all.

mitchnpam
08-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks, see you in Sept.:D

Rrloren
08-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Just picked up our 2010 Sundance 2900 MK and joined the Heartland Club.
We never attended a Rally and saw this posting and thought we would enjoy it. Been looking to visit this area at some point anyhow. It looks like a great place.
Are sites available and mine if we join?

dieselsweetheart
08-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Ok Gus, the rally torch is now in your hands. Have as much fun with it as I did in Pa.
I'll be anxious to hear all about it!

Have a great time rally-goers!

boatto5er
08-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Just picked up our 2010 Sundance 2900 MK and joined the Heartland Club.
We never attended a Rally and saw this posting and thought we would enjoy it. Been looking to visit this area at some point anyhow. It looks like a great place.
Are sites available and mine if we join?

There are still sites available. We'd love to have you join in with us! The directions for getting signed up at the campground, dates, and a lot of other good info is in the first post in this thread. Be sure the campground gives you a site number (tell them you are with the Heartland Rally) and post it here when you get it. Contact me if you have any problems.

Look forward to seeing you!

Gus

Rrloren
08-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Made reservations for arrival 9/24 thru 9/27 .
Site # 404. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Richard & Linda Lorenzini

jbamyotte
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
We have made plans to join you on Sept. 24. we will be in site 399.
Jay & Joanne Amyotte

timdebs
08-17-2009, 02:51 PM
How many campers you up to now Gus?

boatto5er
08-17-2009, 03:04 PM
We have made plans to join you on Sept. 24. we will be in site 399.
Jay & Joanne Amyotte

Jay and Joann,

Fantastic!:) We look forward to seeing you. I'll send you some additional information in an email shortly.

Gus

boatto5er
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
How many campers you up to now Gus?

35! That's rigs, not people:). My head is spinning:eek:.

timdebs
08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
UMMM, Gus that sure is a lot of lobsters. Just kidding, saw the pictures on FB looks like fun!

klindgren
08-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Holy Smokes Gus. 35 Rigs!! Sounds to me you need to appoint Hudson as permanent Wagonmaster!!:D

How many did we have at the Sping gathering when you were Wagonmaster? :confused: Yep, Yep, I hereby nominate Hudson as Virginia's permanent Wagonmaster.;)

I mean with you as our permanent Virginia State Director and Hudson as our permanent Virginia State Wagonmaster how can we go wrong.

Great job getting this all set up guys. You are the MEN!!:cool::cool:

SouthernNights
08-17-2009, 07:33 PM
When Camp Hatteras runs out of sites, you could use the KOA next door as overflow:rolleyes:

boatto5er
08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
When Camp Hatteras runs out of sites, you could use the KOA next door as overflow:rolleyes:

We may have a few boaters anchoring out in the Sound before we're done!

boatto5er
08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
UMMM, Gus that sure is a lot of lobsters. Just kidding, saw the pictures on FB looks like fun!

I'm hoping folks won't know the difference between a lobster and a crawdad:eek::D.

boatto5er
08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Here's our current attendee list in the attached PDF file. You'll need Acrobat Reader to open it. If you don't have if, you can get a free version at www.adobe.com (http://www.adobe.com). If you see anything wrong with your info, let me know.

boatto5er
08-21-2009, 03:39 PM
I sent an email out, but wanted to make sure everyone got this so I'm posting it here also:).

Hi Everyone,

I know many of you have already ordered T-Shirts for the rally, but I wanted to remind you that Mike must have all orders No Later Than Sept 1. So if you want a shirt(s), please let him know this week. If you have trouble locating the ordering info, just shoot me an email and I'll get it to you ASAP.

Thanks and look forward to seeing everyone.

Gus

porthole
08-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey Gus
Great idea posting a list with screen names and real names ............

Tried that with my motorcycle group and they though it was silly. Although I did find that people were using the listing I posted on our website :D

Porthole aka Duane

Hey - you never looked a the trailer in PA .........................

ncrebel8
08-25-2009, 02:50 PM
We have registered and will be on site #400, arriving on the 24th until the 27th.

boatto5er
08-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Welcome Wesley and Niki. We're at 36 rigs now!:D

boatto5er
08-26-2009, 12:53 PM
If you have an RV or camping related item (or roughly associated with camping) you'd like to offer up for sale at the rally, please post a short description on the forum rally thread to let everyone know it will be available. I'm going to keep this really informal. No set times or anything. If you see something you like posted, get together with that person at the rally and barter away. Please don't contact anyone using the rally forum thread. However, it's OK if you want to PM someone. Let's keep this clean and friendly (no arguing over a set of $10 JT Stabilizershttp://mail.yimg.com/a/i/mesg/tsmileys2/01.gif). This will be a strictly off the cuff, first come, first served event. And no, I will not be available to arbitrate - I do that in real life and will be on vacation at the rallyhttp://mail.yimg.com/a/i/mesg/tsmileys2/03.gif. (I also sent this out in an email to everyone.)

timdebs
08-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Gus don't tell DW because she will be trying to get rid of all my junk, I mean treasures, not to mention saying things like "when is the last time you used that or what do you need it for." Bad part about it is she is right but...

schipperhaven
08-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey folks -- we'll be at the rally and have a A&E Patty O'Room for sale. It has barely been used. A friend bought it for his tagalong and then bought a motorhome with power awning. I bought the room from him and put it on my tagalong. Then we bought a Bighorn 3670. And it fit -- until we scrapped our sunchaser awning for a Weather-Pro. So no more Patty O'Room!

It's 13 feet long, and it's the tall model. As I said above, it fit fine on our manual awning on the Bighorn. All of the hardware will be supplied with it, along with a skirt and full instructions. It is in really excellent condition. We'll take best offer -- it would cost about $550 new. If someone wants it, let us know by PM and we'll bring it to you. If no answer, we're putting it on eBay on or about 9/10. We have to get rid of it becase we're starting out full-time for 30 months right after the rally, and our house is rented out!

Can't wait to meet all of ya!
Don and Dot

carolinachrissy
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for allowing us to post items here, Gus.

We've got an Adco RV cover that fits 28'7" to 31'6" and is the SFS Aqua Shed fabric (for rainy climates, but not for intense sunny and snowy climates). We've had it for 4 years and only used it for one brief winter period. I believe it has a small corner tear on the back right (passenger) side, if memory serves, that needs to be patched.

We bought it for approximately $270 and will sell it for $125.

We've got a pair of tow mirrors that strap on and adjust. One mirror is cracked. We will sell those for $10.

We'll be at site 382 Thursday to Sunday.

PSF513
08-29-2009, 07:59 AM
We have finally managed to get our site (#387). Apparently Mr Hall will be a no show. Looking forward to meeting new folks and seeing a couple of old friends

boatto5er
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
That's great news Pete. We look forward to seeing you. You'll be right across the street from Deb and I. Yep, the Hill's had a scheduling conflict and had to cancel.

dbylinski
08-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I'll be awaiting your e-mail;)

Hudson
09-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks to Dave we will have a P.A. system!

boatto5er
09-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks to Dave we will have a P.A. system!

Three cheers for Dave!:D:D:D

By the way everyone - Hudson is putting together a great agenda; a couple of surprises lined up. I suspect he'll be posting a draft soon.

boatto5er
09-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I just thought of another rally activity. I'll prepare some "Parking Rating Scorecards". Those of us who are coming in Thursday, or earlier, will rate everyone coming in on Friday on how well they park and also how quickly they get parked:eek::D. We'll talley the scores and give a prize for high and low scores at the Saturday Pot Luck???? OK-Bad Idea:o. I WAS JUST KIDDING;).

I'll leave the agenda building to Hudson...

Flying Dutchman
09-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Just wait till I show up ............... on Saturday. The whole crowd will be able to watch:eek:

carolinachrissy
09-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Too bad you're kidding, Gus! I love parking and usually do a pretty good job.:cool:

We're all getting excited here and can't wait to meet everyone on the OBX!

carolinachrissy and clan

Jim & Harriet
09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
hi mitch and pam,
sorry i did not reply sooner. missed your note. hope to get a chance to see your sundance and compare notes and see whats new for 2010.

looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.
j, h & max

ps: are you the burnsville near charlotte or the one near winston-salem? on mapquest it showed two. have you visited or stayed-at any campgrounds around lake norman? it looks beautiful there.

mjatwalker
09-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I love to back in our BC. You guys just watch me work.

Mike

boatto5er
09-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I love to back in our BC. You guys just watch me work.

Mike

Can we take pictures:D?

boatto5er
09-08-2009, 10:08 AM
I sent the following out by email to rally attendees last week, but thought it might be interesting for everyone (*the greatest distance is actually apprx 806 miles, but I didn't have that when the email originally went out - I'll revise the averages, etc later):

Here's a few interesting numbers concerning the Cape Hatteras rally (you might want to memorize these - but of course, they are subject to change):

Current number of attendees (trailers) 36
Full-Timers 1
SC 1
GA 1
NJ 2
MD 4
NC 9
VA 18

Most Represented City, 8 - (Norfolk, VA Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk Megopolis)
By Itself, 3 - Chesapeake

Miles To Get There
Greatest 627*-see above
Least 37
Mean 247
Median 251
Mode 107

No, I'm not going to define the last threehttp://mail.yimg.com/a/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif, but I believe I got them right. No second guessing allowed.

Most "popular" model = Sundance 2900MK (6 attending:))

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

trdeal
09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I just thought of another rally activity. I'll prepare some "Parking Rating Scorecards". Those of us who are coming in Thursday, or earlier, will rate everyone coming in on Friday on how well they park and also how quickly they get parked:eek::D. We'll talley the scores and give a prize for high and low scores at the Saturday Pot Luck???? OK-Bad Idea:o. I WAS JUST KIDDING;).

I'll leave the agenda building to Hudson...
Glad i am coming in on Thursday!

SouthernNights
09-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm coming on Wednesday to watch Gus.:D

boatto5er
09-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm coming on Wednesday to watch Gus.:D

:eek: Where do you think I got the idea from?:D (Although on my last local trip I did squeeze my 8' wide, 32' long rig into an 8'2" wide, 33' long space (or at least it seemed that size;))

dbylinski
09-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow, from what I see we get to watch everybody.:D:D:D We're arriving the previous Saturday. Afterall, somebody's gotta check in early to sweep Gus & Deb's pad before they get there:eek::eek::eek:. Hey Gus I'll trade you a good sweeping for a melon baller. Can't fault a girl for trying.

Hudson
09-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I am happy to announce that Chesapeake RV Solutions will be the primary sponsor for our rally! They will bring two new 2010 RVs to the rally for us to tour and will have those units there overnight for extended looks and discussion. The dealership owners, Tim & Jacqueline Loen, will be available for part of the rally to meet & great, to speak to us, to show off the units, and to make special "rally pricing" deals for anyone who is interested in a new rig or any other rig supplies. In setting this up I have found these to be among the very best RV dealers I've ever met and I am happy to have them actually camping among us.

Chesapeake RV Solutions will also be footing the bill for a bunch of expenses that we would have otherwise had to pass the hat around to cover, such as party/theme decorations, prizes, sundries (ice, plates, forks, etc.) it is a double blessing to have them join us.

And as you've probably already heard, Heartland will be sending a factory rep, Ron Dickeson, who specializes in the Big Horn and Landmark lines. Plus Heartland and the Heartland Owners Club will be providing logo souvenirs. Everyone gets something. The rest will be available for prizes!

Please everyone thank Chesapeake RV Solutions and Heartland and the Heartland Owners Club for their generous sponsorship to make this rally a real blast!

The agenda will be published this weekend and there are lots of wonderful surprises in store! I'm having trouble keeping them all a surprise. Actually I think Gus is going to bust a gut trying to hold all these surprises back ;)

SouthernNights
09-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Sounds great. This will be out first rally with Heartland or any other brand. Looking forward to it.
Thanks to Chesapeake RV and Heartland for the promise of a good rally. And of course to Gus and Hudson for their tireless work.

BTW Gus, Fred wants to know if your hawk will pose for a picture with him. He promises it will not take long.

Hudson
09-09-2009, 04:05 PM
The Heartland Owners Club Virginia Chapter 2009 Fall Rally
is now also the
"East Coast Luau"

The theme for the rally has been chosen and it will be a luau, Hawaiian style!

Look for upcoming announcements about games, contests, and other theme related stuff.

In the mean time, dust off your loud Hawaiian shirts, grass skirts, and pineapples for this bash.

Sorry, this isn't about pirates or Caribbean islands, this is Don Ho and Hawaii Five-O.

P.s., ladies (and possibly gentlemen) expect an email from your co-Wagonmaster, my wife, Tracy, for volunteers to help with the decorating and party.

davebennington
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
In addition to several boxes of door prizes supplied by Heartland & Jim. I will have Heartland Owners club plaques and membership kits available for sale. So if you are thinking about joining the Heartland Owners Club you can sign up at the rally and you won't have to wait for the post office to deliver to you.

Dave:)

boatto5er
09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
In addition to several boxes of door prizes supplied by Heartland & Jim. I will have Heartland Owners club plaques and membership kits available for sale. So if you are thinking about joining the Heartland Owners Club you can sign up at the rally and you won't have to wait for the post office to deliver to you.

Dave:)

Folks, I'm not a salesman, but I highly encourage you to join the National Club. In addition to a great looking plaque for the back of your RV, you get Heartland key chains, mini-mousepads, and a one year's free membership in Passport America. If you do a lot of camping this can save you tons of money. Also, you get to register early for the National Rally, before the general public. Currently, about half the chapter are also National Club members. The cost is only $60.00 - and that's for a 3 year membership. Best deal in town:).

By the way, for those of you that aren't aware, Dave helped me form the chapter, made most of the arrangements for our Spring Rally and is also a moderator on the Heartland forum. Thanks Dave for all your hard work!

dbylinski
09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Gus & Hudson,

You two are planning what appears to be an awesome event. The East Coast membership, the Virginia Chapter, the Heartland Owners Club and those planning to attend this rally are extremely lucky to have such talented and devoted people to plan and organize this for all of us. I extend a heartfelt thanks (in advance) to both of you and to your wives as well.

John and I will be available to assist in any way you find necessary.

Thank you!

boatto5er
09-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Gus & Hudson,

You two are planning what appears to be an awesome event. The East Coast membership, the Virginia Chapter, the Heartland Owners Club and those planning to attend this rally are extremely lucky to have such talented and devoted people to plan and organize this for all of us. I extend a heartfelt thanks (in advance) to both of you and to your wives as well.

John and I will be available to assist in any way you find necessary.

Thank you!

:o The preceding has been a paid announcement:eek::D:rolleyes:.

Seriously, thanks Deb. Another By The Way - Deb (with faithful husband John:)) is the NJ Chapter Leader and is attending our rally. She also made our nametags (Yea!). You'll like the customizing they have done on their truck.

mjatwalker
09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
The Tee-Shirts have been ordered. Ann and I will be there on thursday and our site number is 323 We are very happy to be a part of this event. Kudo's to Gus And Hudson for all there hard work! We also look forword to meeting everyone.
Have a safe trip and we will see you in the OBX.

Mike

boatto5er
09-09-2009, 07:53 PM
The Tee-Shirts have been ordered. Ann and I will be there on thursday and our site number is 323 We are very happy to be a part of this event. Kudo's to Gus And Hudson for all there hard work! We also look forword to meeting everyone.
Have a safe trip and we will see you in the OBX.

Mike

Great job on the T-Shirts Mike. This has truly been a group effort. It's easy to "be in charge" when there are so many terrific people doing the hard work.

boatto5er
09-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Sounds great. This will be out first rally with Heartland or any other brand. Looking forward to it.
Thanks to Chesapeake RV and Heartland for the promise of a good rally. And of course to Gus and Hudson for their tireless work.

BTW Gus, Fred wants to know if your hawk will pose for a picture with him. He promises it will not take long.

:eek:Sorry Larry, my hawk says he is smarter than that!:D

carolinachrissy
09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Our girls (14 & 10) and I would love to help decorate. We'll be there Thursday afternoon.

We've been wanting to have a Luau at the house for 2 years, so they're even more excited about the whole weekend now that there's a Hawaiian theme.

-carolinachrissy

The Heartland Owners Club Virginia Chapter 2009 Fall Rally
is now also the
"East Coast Luau"

P.s., ladies (and possibly gentlemen) expect an email from your co-Wagonmaster, my wife, Tracy, for volunteers to help with the decorating and party.

boatto5er
09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
It looks like Debra and I will leave here Tuesday afternoon (Sep 22) and stop in either Williamsburg (American Heritage CG) or VA Beach (Holiday Tra-L-Park). Then we'll head on into Cape Hatteras Wednesday. That way only a couple of folks will be able to watch me back in:eek:.

Hudson
09-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Okay, I've enjoyed this wagonmaster gig and haven't really felt like I've had to work too hard at it ... so far ... until today ...

Now Tracy has picked the theme and the sponsors have given her a budget. I didn't think about what would happen next. We are "vacationing" in Williamsburg right now, right next to a place called the Williamsburg Pottery Factory which Tracy already knew about and I had never heard of. She called it an "outlet store." To me the term "outlet store" conjures up ideas of major brand name companies having a bunch of discount stores in a "drive around" outdoor mall.

Men, if your wife wants you to take her to this seventh level of ... factory store ... don't say no, say "H*** NO, We Won't Go" Don't even agree to take her while you wait in the car. Give her the car keys and don't look back. Folks, I've walked all over Disney World ... miles of walking, in the hot humid sun, sometimes in the hot humidity in pouring rain. I've done multiday hikes with all my gear, water, etc. strapped on my back, in the snow, with nighttime temps below zero. This did not prepare me adequately for going to the Williamsburg Pottery Factory, especially looking for everything luau/tiki/aloha/Hawaiian in the store. I'm told I was spared quite a bit of walking because the place has gone downhill recently and there isn't as much as there used to be. Imagine mowing 10 acres with a push mower making sure to pick up every four leaf clover along the way. I don't think bourbon and ibuprofen combined are going to help.

Now I feel like being a wagonmaster involves some work None

I also think I have a feel now for how Tracy feels about going into Best Buy and Radio Shack with me :eek:.

I think you're going to have a good time at the rally. I really do.

boatto5er
09-10-2009, 09:42 PM
:eek:Accckkkkk! Wish you had told me you were going there, I could have warned you. That place is the Devil's Den, Living Room, and Garage combined:D! And you are right - it has gone downhill dramatically over the last couple of years. It used to be nice fairly nice place, lots of "warehouses", but still nice. Now, you couldn't pay me enough to go there. You have now OFFICIALLY earned your Wagonmaster stripes!:)

f250dieseldad
09-11-2009, 04:03 AM
Gus, You better practice your parking skills. Deb and I will video you parking and it will be on facebook.:D:D:D

boatto5er
09-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Gus, You better practice your parking skills. Deb and I will video you parking and it will be on facebook.:D:D:D
:(I'm in big trouble now!!:eek:

fordtech 2008
09-11-2009, 07:06 AM
man i'm going to miss all the backing fun we won't be there till friday afternoon.

jbeletti
09-11-2009, 07:10 AM

Cool - looking for good content for the Heartland Facebook page and You Tube channel :)

boatto5er
09-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Cool - looking for good content for the Heartland Facebook page and You Tube channel :)

Don't worry - I'll blame it all on Debra's ground guiding!:eek::rolleyes:

porthole
09-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Hey Jim - where is the facebook page?

And, we have had multiple power outages since last night (we have a nor' easter here now).

So I haven't downloaded any of the pictures yet.

dbylinski
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow, I have to read the forum to find out my scheduling secretary didn't put video taping appointments on my calendar. I wonder if he knows I'll be busy sweeping Gus' pad at that time??? At least we have concrete. It will be much easier than turning over all those rocks. :eek::eek::D If I understand you right I need a more meg on the video card to tape Gus from start to finish.:D

boatto5er
09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
5K should do. Won't take me but a couple of minutes:D.

jbeletti
09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey Jim - where is the facebook page?...

Here is is Duane. (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Elkhart-IN/Heartland-Owners-Club/118999274625?ref=ts)

Jim

trdeal
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Changing the subject for a minute.A couple months ago someone ask if anyone had a portable firepit to use at the ralley. I offered to bring ours. Is it going to be needed? I will be glad to bring it and some wood. But I don't want to haul it down there if there is not going to be time for it or a need.

BURNHAMROG
09-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Roger & Janet Burnham will be coming in our new North Trail travel trailer, we will be coming with our daughter and son-in-law so we will be in sites 207 & 208. We look forward to meeting some of you.

mjatwalker
09-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Welcome aboard Roger and Janet. Look foward to meeting you guys too. This is going to be a great event!! Have a safe trip.

Mike

boatto5er
09-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Roger & Janet Burnham will be coming in our new North Trail travel trailer, we will be coming with our daughter and son-in-law so we will be in sites 207 & 208. We look forward to meeting some of you.

Welcome. We look forward to meeting you. What day are you coming in?

Gus

timdebs
09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Gus, this is our first rally along with some others that have signed up, what do we need to bring or be prepared to do, example I read Hudson's message about a rig decorating and different tours, etc?

boatto5er
09-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Gus, this is our first rally along with some others that have signed up, what do we need to bring or be prepared to do, example I read Hudson's message about a rig decorating and different tours, etc?

As you saw in Hudson's other thread, the theme for the rally is Hawaiian. Plan on decorating your rig/campsite in a Hawaiian theme if you want to(this is strictly optional, but I believe we will award a prize for the best decorations - judges and criteria TBD).

There will be two "Brand New" 2010 Heartland trailers on display, but we would also like for owners of 2010 models to make them available for others to see also. I believe that is set up for 2:00 Saturday afternoon. We'll follow that with a tour of anyone's trailer that wants to show the modifications they've made to their rigs (this is usually a popular event).

Bring hawaiian attire (shirts, flip flops, sunglasses, grass skirts:eek:, etc) to wear (weather permitting:D), but not mandatory.

I would recommend bringing paper plates, napkins, and plastic cutlery enough for each meal just in case it's needed. We will need some, but probably not all. Bring enough drinks (for meals or "otherwise") for your use for meals and other times. We will supply some drinks at the dinners, but again, it may not be enough for everyone. As pointed out by Hudson, we are splitting the pot-luck over Friday and Saturday, so you will only prepare a pot-luck dish for one of the two nights. Other meals will be on your own (except Sun breakfast which is a BYO group get-together).

Otherwise, bring anything you would normally take with you for a week-end camping trip. We have a pretty ful day Saturday, but there will also be relaxing, shooting the breeze, napping time available.

Hope this helps clarify things for all the "first-timers". The mail point is that you can't go wrong. If you don't have the inclinations to decorate, don't worry about it. If you forget your forks, don't worry, there will be some available. The main idea is to relax, keep it simple, and most importantly - get out, meet, and talk with your fellow Heartland owners - and have a GREAT TIME:).

Hudson
09-15-2009, 11:22 AM
You've probably seen the agenda by now and you've gotten the message about food cooking hopefully.

There will also (shortly) be another announcement that details some of the contests and events in way that will help you know what kinds of things you might want to bring.

Nothing is mandatory (except bringing something to the pot luck I guess). You don't have to decorate, you don't have to dress Hawaiian. Those things are just ways to make the rally more fun for yourself and others.

The main purpose of a rally is to meet other RVers. Your first rally might seem ominous at first, but it is just a lot of fun. The reason people sometimes add themes to the rally is to spice it up and make it more fun. But the theme is not the purpose, it is just the spice.

timdebs
09-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys, Hudson Debbie and I will email you tonight don't know how to cook hawiian but will try anything once. Gus, sure am looking forward to some hawiian lobsters and/or crawl dads :)

truknutt
09-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the info guys, Hudson Debbie and I will email you tonight don't know how to cook hawiian but will try anything once. Gus, sure am looking forward to some hawiian lobsters and/or crawl dads :)

See Gus, I'm not the only one that heard you mention VA Rally Lobsters...:rolleyes:
Y'all have fun..wish I could make it.:(

SouthernNights
09-15-2009, 04:09 PM
See Gus, I'm not the only one that heard you mention VA Rally Lobsters...:rolleyes:
Y'all have fun..wish I could make it.:(

Mentioned it?????He promised to make Lobster helper for everyone.:D

truknutt
09-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeeee Hawwww !!:D

dbylinski
09-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Sounds like my Iodine Allergy may be a good thing right now!

boatto5er
09-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Mentioned it?????He promised to make Lobster helper for everyone.:D
Actually Larry, the store has been out of Lobster Helper, but I did spot a box of Alligator Helper!:eek:

BillandKathy
09-15-2009, 09:13 PM
We found your thread while looking for campground recommendations for Hatteras. We were planning a trip for the last week in September and would love to meet other Heartland owners. It’s short notice but we were wondering if there are any sites left and if we could join your rally?

boatto5er
09-15-2009, 09:35 PM
We found your thread while looking for campground recommendations for Hatteras. We were planning a trip for the last week in September and would love to meet other Heartland owners. It’s short notice but we were wondering if there are any sites left and if we could join your rally?

Hi Bill & Kathy! I believe there are sites available. Call the campground at 252 987-2777. Ask for Merrin. She is the Rally coordinator. I believe she will be there Wednesday after 3:00pm. Tell her you are new to the club and want to attend the Heartland rally. She should be able to get you a site (we are on the sound side of the campground in the 300/400 area). The official rally dates are Sept 25-27, but we have folks starting to arrive as early as Sat, the 19th! Several of us are coming in on the 23d, and many more on the 24th. There are also a few of us staying over through Monday, the 28th. When you get your site# (make sure they give you one), email me at: g_funderburg@yahoo.com (note: there is an underscore symbol between the g and f). I also need your last name, email address, and hometown. Also, check out this thread (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12166) for more information on our agenda, rally theme, and pot-luck dinners. You'll need to contact Hudson (our Wagonmaster) with dinner info ASAP. You can send him a PM on the forum. We hope you can join us. Contact me with any questions. Hope I didn't throw too much information at you.

SouthernNights
09-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Actually Larry, the store has been out of Lobster Helper, but I did spot a box of Alligator Helper!:eek:

Run Fred,Run!!!! A bad man is coming!!!:eek::eek::eek: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/piratevader1/FOP036.jpg

trdeal
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Let me change the subject for a minute. A friend of mine is looking for one of those portable waste water tanks. Anyone coming to the rally at Camp Hatteras next week that has one they would like to sell,please bring it with you.I am sure that my friend would like to buy it.Or send me a private message with your asking price and I will give him a call. Thanks

Hudson
09-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I've just posted for Tracy a list of suggested (non-food) items to bring. It is in the other thread (09 Fall Rally Agenda & Notices (//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12166)) along with the other notices such as food, agenda, etc.

Hudson
09-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Hey, who wants to get together and make up some tropical drinks at this rally?

There are lots of great tropical drinks that are a lot of trouble to make one at a time but that are great for a group of people to make a pitcher full or blender full or even a bucket full (popular in Jamaica I know).

I was going to "coordinate" this because it is one of my favorite things but I'm kind of "coordinated out" from the two themed dinners. (But boy am I glad I did -- this would have been mostly desserts if I'd just left it to chance.) And I still haven't finished with that yet. Yes, I still have four of you to send emails to and one family I haven't heard from at all yet. And I've kind of gotten the impression that a couple of folks aren't entirely happy with getting "coordinated" ... twice. Oops, back to the drinks...

So who all wants to try and get Planter's Punch or Rum Jungle pitchers going? "Do you like Pina Coladas?"

FYI, we checked with the campground about alcohol in the conference center. We can have alcohol. We can serve alcohol to adults. (I don't know if parents can serve alcohol to their minor children like they can in Virginia.) We cannot sell alcohol or anything that contains alcohol. That means we can bring alcohol and drink our own or share with others.

I've got lots of little umbrellas for drinks.:D

porthole
09-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Boat drinks - doubly sorry we will miss this rally now..........................

Hudson
09-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Boat drinks - doubly sorry we will miss this rally now..........................

We will miss having you there (especially a Cyclone -- my new favorite trailer after spending some time with Roger's). Hopefully we will meet at the "East Coast Rally" which it sounds like will get some planning at this rally. (Wish PA chapter's leaders could be there too!)

Yeah, I was afraid to be the first to say "boat drinks" ... that's a whole 'nother level past "tropical drinks" ... but if serious cocktail connoisseurs (isn't instant spell check great 'cuz I couldn't have spelled that by myself) abound, I do hope to find them, join them, hoist a few with them, and if I'm true to my usual self, corrupt a few land lubbers into the "boat drinks" crowd.

In fact, I am darn sure I'm going to need a few of those myself ... unfortunately for me and the rules of decorum (that one I knew how to spell) for a wagonmaster, I kind of have to limit my drinking during the events and save it until after the kiddies and "shame-on you's" (if any) have gone to bed.

Seriously though, you are going to miss what I hope will be the rally to end all rallies. Not because I'm wagonmaster, and not because this is the first rally I've ever "wagonmastered," but because it's the end of the season for most people and with everything that's happened in the economy and the election (oops, opinion slipped), I'm thinking that I would like to see every one who attends have the kind of weekend that they feel good about spending their diesel on. Plus it helps a sponsor build goodwill and Heartland see that their owners appreciate them enough to band together in large numbers even when it isn't the "national rally." Well, I guess I also have to admit that I wouldn't mind being asked to be wagonmaster again either.

porthole
09-18-2009, 12:20 AM
I am motorcycle riding in western NC next week. Haven't decided if the the Cyclone or the "little" trailer is going, or if I am just riding down.

If the Cyclone goes we were planning on heading to the coast on Monday, stay at the Hatteras camp for a day or 3 and see any of the hangers on are still there, then head north.

boatto5er
09-18-2009, 07:28 AM
"Well, I guess I also have to admit that I wouldn't mind being asked to be wagonmaster again either."

I saw that:D:rolleyes:.

boatto5er
09-18-2009, 07:30 AM
I am motorcycle riding in western NC next week. Haven't decided if the the Cyclone or the "little" trailer is going, or if I am just riding down.

If the Cyclone goes we were planning on heading to the coast on Monday, stay at the Hatteras camp for a day or 3 and see any of the hangers on are still there, then head north.

Duane, there are a few folks staying over. Can't give you a "how many" though. I have a good handle on when everyone is coming in, but haven't kept up with the departure dates. We'll there until around noon on Monday.

timdebs
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
We have our 15 year old son that is going with us, do you know of other children or teenagers (not sure which they rather be called today) that will be there?

Flying Dutchman
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM

If the Cyclone goes we were planning on heading to the coast on Monday, stay at the Hatteras camp for a day or 3 and see any of the hangers on are still there, then head north.We will be staying until Wednesday morning with the Yocum's before heading out to SC for their rally. Stop by and visit.

carolinachrissy
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
...to be WagonMaster again next year for another fall trip to the same campground (or maybe another location in NC?) for a Carolina Pig Picking themed event.

Just think...a celebration of all things bacon; a Carolina pig picking, bacon, baked beans, pigs in a blanket for the kids, country ham biscuits, ham & cheese, ham & eggs (or is that green eggs and ham?), Angels on horseback, Devils on horseback, bacon martinis (Yup! Google it!), bacon bread, even bacon ice cream. Now how can you say "No" to that?

Comments?

"Well, I guess I also have to admit that I wouldn't mind being asked to be wagonmaster again either."

carolinachrissy
09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Our homeschooled daughters are coming with us. Kelley's 14 and Caitlin's 10.

All of you with kids, send me a private EM to see what interests your kids have and see if we can coordinate some things they'd like to do.

My initial thoughts on what our girls like include bikes, sculpey, face painting, Pokemon and Magic card games, board games, card games, exploring the sound (need water shoes, pails, shovels), ghost stories, tunes, computer games, movies on the computer (our North Trail 32QBSS has a great home theater/bedroom), art work, fishing and more.

I helped the girls plan a sale table to sell a few Hawaiian themes items (nothing over $3) and Halloween items (nothing over $2), some purchased, some hand made. They usually like to paint faces free or for tips. They're hoping to earn some spending money for next month's RV trip to Disney World! Otherwise, it's just a fun thing they like to do whenever we RV. Unfortunately, we tend to travel after school's back in session, so the crowds have thinned out by then. But they're learning valuable lessons about small business, supply and demand, customer relations and just having a great time.

We have our 15 year old son that is going with us, do you know of other children or teenagers (not sure which they rather be called today) that will be there?

jbeletti
09-18-2009, 09:15 AM
...to be WagonMaster again next year for another fall trip to the same campground (or maybe another location in NC?) for a Carolina Pig Picking themed event.

Just think...a celebration of all things bacon; a Carolina pig picking, bacon, baked beans, pigs in a blanket for the kids, country ham biscuits, ham & cheese, ham & eggs (or is that green eggs and ham?), Angels on horseback, Devils on horseback, bacon martinis (Yup! Google it!), bacon bread, even bacon ice cream. Now how can you say "No" to that?

Comments?

Oh man! I am a huge fan of the pig. Oink, oink. Ribs, Pulled Pork........:D

jbeletti
09-18-2009, 09:20 AM

I heard that too. Large bold red font is your "outdoor voice" Hudson. Careful what you wish for until the rally is over :eek:

ncrebel8
09-18-2009, 09:36 AM
I heard that too. Large bold red font is your "outdoor voice" Hudson. Careful what you wish for until the rally is over :eek:

lol, I think he was field promoted to wagonmaster for this rally, so if we go ahead and appiont him to wagonmaster for the next one our job is done, right?

Just joking hudson. I know you and your wife along with Gus and his wife have worked very hard on this rally. We all appreciate all of your hard work.

timdebs
09-18-2009, 10:00 AM
So Jim does that mean "Cook Pig, Jim/they will come"? We have not even been to our first rally yet and are already talking about next year. Gus and Hudson you guys have a lot of expectations to live up to! Where is the boat with the drinks going to be docked? That is where I will be.

Jim & Harriet
09-18-2009, 10:04 AM
got to love an "everything pig" theme ... maybe in a campground toward the western part of virginia or north carolina ...:)

carolinachrissy
09-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm game!

This is for everyone who wants to participate. For those of us who enjoy an alcoholic tropical drink, let's make some drinks to share. For those of us who would like to taste a virgin tropical drink and for those of us who have kids who love sugary, fruity drinks, join in the jocularity! I haven't forgotten you beer and wine drinkers, either.

If you're so inclined, send me a private email telling me:

what you're planning on making for your drinking pleasure;

whether your drink has alcohol in it or not;

your site number so you can share with your new Rally Friends.

For husbands like mine who'd prefer a cold beer, if you want to share, you can. I know how personal beer selections can be. If you like unusual beers and want to find others like yourself, you can let me know that too. (My husband enjoys anything from Yuengling, Fosters oil drums (green can), Guinness, selections from Stone Brewery, selections from Flying Dog Brewery, etc.) For those of you who enjoy wine, chime in, also, so you can find others with a taste for vino.

I'll keep a record of who's got what where. I can distribute it via email or print some hard copies before we leave to pass out (no pun intended) to y'all!

FYI, I'm planning on making Mai Tai's and Blue Hawaiian's. Care for a cocktail?

Cheers!

Hey, who wants to get together and make up some tropical drinks at this rally?

There are lots of great tropical drinks that are a lot of trouble to make one at a time but that are great for a group of people to make a pitcher full or blender full or even a bucket full (popular in Jamaica I know).

I was going to "coordinate" this because it is one of my favorite things but I'm kind of "coordinated out" from the two themed dinners. (But boy am I glad I did -- this would have been mostly desserts if I'd just left it to chance.) And I still haven't finished with that yet. Yes, I still have four of you to send emails to and one family I haven't heard from at all yet. And I've kind of gotten the impression that a couple of folks aren't entirely happy with getting "coordinated" ... twice. Oops, back to the drinks...

So who all wants to try and get Planter's Punch or Rum Jungle pitchers going? "Do you like Pina Coladas?"

FYI, we checked with the campground about alcohol in the conference center. We can have alcohol. We can serve alcohol to adults. (I don't know if parents can serve alcohol to their minor children like they can in Virginia.) We cannot sell alcohol or anything that contains alcohol. That means we can bring alcohol and drink our own or share with others.

I've got lots of little umbrellas for drinks.:D

carolinachrissy
09-18-2009, 01:11 PM
...the interactive map showing where you've traveled that y'all have in your signature lines? I looked around a little on this forum, but it's just so big and I'm so technologically impaired.

Any help you provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hudson
09-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Comments?

... Sounds like someone's volunteering to be assistant wagonmaster for this. And you just said my two favorite words in the English language: "Ba ... con".

Hudson
09-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I have to agree that the pig picking has to be up in the NC mountains. There's a CG I've been wanting to try (something like "Gerties"... near Biltmore) ... food for thought (pun intended). However, that makes it too far south to be the East Coast Rally for the NJ group. It could just be the pig rodeo for the people who want to drive that far (SC folks aren't far from this one and neither are the TN folks)

Hudson
09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
...the interactive map showing where you've traveled that y'all have in your signature lines? I looked around a little on this forum, but it's just so big and I'm so technologically impaired.

Any help you provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This is where I get mine:

Visited States Map by epgSoft (http://www.epgsoft.com/servlet/epgSoft.VisitedStatesMap.VisitedStatesMapPageServl et?states=AL&states=AZ&states=FL&states=GA&states=LA&states=MD&states=MS&states=NM&states=NY&states=NC&states=OH&states=PA&states=SC&states=TN&states=TX&states=VA&states=WV&height=100&format=jpg&Submit=Create+Map&country=US)

boatto5er
09-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I have to agree that the pig picking has to be up in the NC mountains. There's a CG I've been wanting to try (something like "Gerties"... near Biltmore) ... food for thought (pun intended). However, that makes it too far south to be the East Coast Rally for the NJ group. It could just be the pig rodeo for the people who want to drive that far (SC folks aren't far from this one and neither are the TN folks)

Hmmmm, Hudson, start investigating that for next Fall. We're having an "East Coast Rally" in MD or VA next Spring, so going to Western NC seems palatable to me for our "local" club rally.

Hudson
09-18-2009, 01:36 PM

Where were you when I posted a request for everyone to send me their kids info? :confused::rolleyes::p;) We've got six kids so far plus yours now. With yours added, the count is five girls aged 10, 10, 10, 12, and 14; and two boys aged 8 and 15. Tracy is planning some events for the kids already and already has gotten some games and activities. "Kids Agenda" to follow. BTW, all the kid's stuff is on Saturday and should keep them busy during the rig tours, etc.

If anyone cares, at least three of these kids are home schooled (girls 10, 10, and 14).

Kind of a gap between the boy's ages ... might be hard for them to find a common interest ... unless it's girls ... which are conveniently all right between them in ages :angel::eek:

carolinachrissy
09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
If I decide to become Assistant Wagonmaster, do I get to help plan a pig picking? Eat pig in the mountains in the fall? Hmmm, this could be fun! My arm's feeling a little twisting going on...

Can I be called the Assistant Wagonmistress? That would be a fun "Say It Five Times Fast" contest.

Ok, I'll do it.:eek:

... Sounds like someone's volunteering to be assistant wagonmaster for this. And you just said my two favorite words in the English language: "Ba ... con".

Hudson
09-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Okay, except for the Burnhams (special case) I have sent everyone on my mailing list an email about the food specific to them. If you don't have an email from me, let me know somehow. The emails were sent out mostly last night and some this morning.

boatto5er
09-18-2009, 01:42 PM
"Kind of a gap between the boy's ages ... might be hard for them to find a common interest ... unless it's girls ... which are conveniently all right between them in ages"

Hmmmm, in my experience, 8 year old boys and girls mix like water and oil!:D Now 15 year old boys and girls - there's a different story!:eek:

Hudson
09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
If I decide to become Assistant Wagonmaster, do I get to help plan a pig picking? Eat pig in the mountains in the fall? Hmmm, this could be fun! My arm's feeling a little twisting going on...

Can I be called the Assistant Wagonmistress? That would be a fun "Say It Five Times Fast" contest.

Ok, I'll do it.:eek:

Tracy warned me not to call you Assistant Wagonmistress even though that was my first choice. She said it might bug you, but I think it's cute ... and it's just chauvinistic enough to be the kind of thing I might say. (Oops, it's too dangerous to be a male chauvinist pig at a pig-pickin' in the NC mountains:eek:).

boatto5er
09-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Tracy warned me not to call you Assistant Wagonmistress even though that was my first choice. She said it might bug you, but I think it's cute ... and it's just chauvinistic enough to be the kind of thing I might say. (Oops, it's too dangerous to be a male chauvinist pig at a pig-pickin' in the NC mountains:eek:).

So, just out of curiosity, what's a pig cost? ($$$$$) Hudson knows how much I like to get into details early:o. (I'm a Project Manager by vocation, so I tend to apply eary resource requirements analysis to everything else also!)

By the way, has anyone else noticed how we've managed to seamlessly transition from the '09 Fall Rally to next year's Fall's Rally? Time to start a new thread???

trdeal
09-18-2009, 01:49 PM
got to love an "everything pig" theme ... maybe in a campground toward the western part of virginia or north carolina ...:)Western North Carolina sounds real good to me with lots of bbq.

boatto5er
09-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Definitely time to start a new thread - Hudson, you're appointed to get it going!;)