Help Planning trip

jmaguire

We won't be able to make the fall rally because I am a teacher and cannot get the time off, but it looked very nice. We are near Salisbury, MD. and would like to plan a trip to the outer banks. We need some advice. We would probably make the trip to somewhere around virginia beach on our first leg of the trip and go to N.C. the second leg. Any suggestions on where to camp on both legs? Never camped south of the tunnell.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
John,

Sorry you won't be able to make the fall rally. I think that Holiday Trav-L-Park is the cream of the crop in VA Beach. It's on General Booth Blvd, about a mile from the beach by car, but it also has a private parking lot in the city that's just a block from the beach and boardwalk. The Super Sites at the Trav-L-Park are fantastic, they new, nicely lanscaped, and huge, all concrete pads, etc. The older sites aren't bad either. Most of them are in wooded areas. The only down side to the park is the scream of the F-18's from Oceana Naval Air Station, but you tend to get used to it after a while. Besides, as many have said, "It's the sound of freedom".

As far as the Outer Banks, I think the park where our rally is going to be looks very good. There's also a nice KOA nearby.

Gus and Debra

jmaguire

Gus, thanks for the info. That is about what i was thinking as some of you down there had some good things to say about the Holiday Travel park. About how long of a drive is it from holiday to the outer banks koa?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
John, I don't think it would be over two hours, 2 1/2 at the most. I believe mapquest told me 4.5 from here near Quantico Marine Base to the rally sight and it's two hours and a few odd minutes from my place to the Trav-L-Park.

beasleyrl

Outer Banks

John-

We've been to both the VB Travel Park and the KOA. Both are nice, but as Gus said, the Travel Park is better.

As far as the Outer Banks goes, Camp Hatteras is by far the best. KOA looks much more run down than CH. Ocean Waves isn't bad but is very small (also the cheapest if you can get in). If you want a view from your site, your only hope with these 3 is CH (dune is too high at KOA and Ocean Waves). CH view of ocean is actually questionable depending upon condition of the dune at the time you are there.

We've found that we really like the sound side at CH. Great view and the Sunsets are amazing. Only problem is crossing the road if you go in the busy season.

If you haven't been down that way before, be prepared... Grocery stores are about 20-25 miles North and South of these parks. During non-peak times, many of the local places are closed so you are pretty much forced to drive a good ways for anything. The first time we went was in the off season and my wife was not impressed. Second trip was during the season and she loved it! In fact, we are planning to be there for Memorial Day weekend this year. Her choice...

One more thing. If you have a big rig, make sure you get gas before you get off the interstate. There aren't really any gas stations along the way that can accomadate much of anything big (ie my 40' Cyclone). Then, don't forget to fill up before you leave. :)

Roger

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thanks roger. We are thinking about late June

John, I hope you already have reservations or are planning making them REAL soon. We have reservations at Holiday Travel Park for mid-June, but could not get a super site in mid-July nor any full hook-up site in mid-August. We wanted to camp there one weekend each month but they are already booked. Lady told me they start filling up in February for the mid summer dates. Lots of week long stays.

Keith