New diesel on the horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyncwby

Just some info for those of "US" contemplating a new truck in the next couple of years. I read this on a diesel truck web site.....2011 Ford "Scorpion" diesel engine is being road tested now. It's a clean sheet of paper, in-house built 6.7 lt. V-8 (about 405 CI) to replace the Navistar 6.4 thats in service today.

The engine so far is rated at 390 hp and 720 lbs. ft of torque :):) and will be mated to a new very heavy duty 6 spd. automatic. Sounds nice with all that torque, I just hope Ford gets it right before they put it in service.

Lets see.....A new 2011 F-450 with a Chariot hauler body!!!

MurrayN.

I heard a rumor that Toyota is working on its own diesel truck. If this comes onto the market it is going to absolutely crush the domestic three and their truck sales. I have had really good luck with my Duramax (with its Isuzu engine), but would flip it for a new Toyota diesel in a heartbeat if it was available. They are years ahead in their engineering and quality of build.

Delaine and Lindy

I know for sure you will like the Chariot Hauler bed. As for the Isuzu (Duramax) its a proven Diesel and Isuzu has been building Diesels for many years. However I'm very upset with GM and their problems, Toyota has a 1 ton dually already just hasn't been built for the public? If GM goes under which I believe they will we may go to a Class 8 Truck. Good luck with you Decision. I do know I wouldn't buy a first year Diesel, there will be problems. GBY....

flamingknitter

OK - excuse my ignorance - but - isn't the engine just a small part of the towability of a truck? The guys with 2500/250's get slammed all of the time for not having enough truck and the engine sizes are all the same. Seems to me that Toyota will really have to up their game to compete in the big boy world of big trucks, even with a superior motor. Not that I am partial or anything but I have yet to roll into a horse show and see a Toyota or Nissan hauling a big horse trailer.

Cyncwby

No ignorance on your part....I've seen the Toyota concept truck at the SEMA show in Las Vegas. IT's NOTHING like you have seen before, this is a BIG truck, one ton dually with a big diesel. Now its unknown what the final public version will be like but it should be very nice and will be able to pull a horse trailer.

Like I said in the orig. post......info only, if you want to buy a Chevy, Dodge, Ford or class 6/8 then have at it. I'm a gearhead, just thought this was interesting.

beardedone

Beardedone
Don't forget that Toyota already builds the Hino diesel truck for medium duty service. So they have lots of experience with heavy trucks. They could build one for us anytime but the market conditions have to be right.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I still like my Ford. Remember, Ford is the only US automaker that did not take federal bailout money.

Tom of Ypsi

My inside info on the new Ford trucks tells me that it will be a much beefier truck. It will be one that you can order a 5th wheel installed, sprayed in bedliner, tonneau covers of some sort and more. None of this is gospel but it is in the minds of the engineers.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well, I for 1 will stand up strong against buying a foreign truck. I will drive my Chevy until it drops. I had 1 nissan, and was the worst car I have ever owned. In fact if GM does go down, I would buy a Ford before I would buy a foreign truck.

Delaine and Lindy

I don't own a Toyota and never have. However Toyota has the Toyota Tundra dually on the shelf. And if there is a need they will build it. It does seem odd that more and more foreign made cars and Trucks are made in the USA. And more and more American manufactors are building cars and Trucks outside the Country, thanks to the UAW? And as for as American made Trucks I have only owned GM Trucks, either GMC/Chevy and haven't had any issues and I use my Trucks, pull heavy and large 5th wheels and Gooseneck trailer hauling heavy John Deere equipment. I don't think the foreign manufactors makes any better Trucks than GM does. My problem with GM is how they have managed their Labor contracts. But of course all the Big 3 did the same thing, bad decisions. Buy what you want and be happy. If the Truck you want does the job then go for it. GBY....

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Getting back to the Ford feed - is Ford taking back the Cummins motor once the contract with Dodge ends in 2010? As of right now and talking with my contacts at the Dodge place, there is not an extension for Dodge to continue putting the diesel motor into pu's after 2010. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Cyncwby

Sorry but what do you mean taking it back? There is a long running myth that Ford Motor Co. owns Cummins.......NOT true at all. In the late 90's Ford had maybe 10% stock in Cummins but then sold it.

If you think about it, IF Ford did in fact own Cummins why would they be spending millions and millions of dollars developing this new "Scorpion" diesel when they could just drop in the tried and true 5.9 or 6.7 IL6 Cummins when and if the Dodge contract expires?? For a lot more on this debate just google "does Ford own Cummins".....and read for yourself.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
OK - maybe that's why chrysler pulled the dodge dealership from those folks that was giving that info out. I did check what cyncwby suggested and the postings were from 08 but stated that cummins is a publicly owned under CMI listing. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.