Metal tire stems?

BobSue

I talked to NTB about getting metal stems installed.

The only thing they had was stems where the part that connects to the wheel is rubber that is pulled through the hole like a normal stem but has what looks like a brass end on it where the sensor would be screwed on.

I tried to explain that I needed an all metal stem. After looking at each other blankly they decided I must mean a "bolt-on" stem. They said they do not have nor can they get these type of stems; and they would not work on my truck wheels any way.

Is a "bolt-on" stem what is needed for the TPMS or is the stem that has a rubber base with a metal top sufficient?:confused:

Tom of Ypsi

Mine look like the bolt on stem, never heard them called that, and they do work fine with the TPMS. Go to another shop and find some.

jpmorgan37

Bob;

Check out this site here and copy the picture of the one you want and take it to another tire store. Sometimes, a picture is better than a blank stare. I have the metal single bend swivel on my truck and they work just fine.

John

grizzlygiant

Better find another tire store. Any reputable shop knows about all-metal stems....most commercial heavy duty trucks use them due to higher tire pressures.

Niles

Wish I was closer to you I have 4 of them I've been carrying around with me for awhile. I got them for our old SOB and never got them changed out and when I put the goodyears on the BH they installed the metal ones. So got some extras.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I got mine at Discount Tire. Also be sure you get the long stems. The short ones are a little stubby for my needs...

Worth the money. Discount tire has always been the best place to do tire business for me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've got to look into getting the stems on my truck replaced with longer metal ones. I was trying to check the air pressure and can barely get the fronts and outer duals, much less the inner ones. The plastic "through the cap" valve caps they put on are useless with standard tire gages and the rubber stems flex all over.