What type of Tow Vehicle for 2900MK?

Hello,

My husband and I are looking at various Heartland models, and like the 2900MK. We have been told a 3/4 ton truck will do the trick, but I wanted to ask on this forum as well.

How many 2900MK owners have 3/4 ton vs. 1 ton?

I wanted to opt for the XLT, but I like the roomier bedroom in the 2900MK.

Thanks!
Taryn

PS We are looking at this vehicle, and I thought I might paste the specs here. Seems like it will do the trick?

2003 Ford F250
Drive Type: 2WD
Engine Size: 6.8L engine
Number of Cylinders: 10 cylinders
Horsepower: 310 horsepower@4250rpm
Torque (ft.-lbs.): 425 torque@3250rpm
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Camshaft: SOHC
Engine Type: Gas
Bore: 3.55
Stroke: 4.16
Valves per Cylinder: 2
Fuel Capacity (gals.): 29.00
EPA MPG (City/Hwy): 10/14
Wheelbase: 156.2"
Overall Length: 245.8"
Width: 79
Height: 76
Curb Weight: 5490 lbs.
Leg Room F/R: 40.7"
Head Room F/R: 41.0"
Seating Capacity (Std.): 6/6
Cargo Capacity for Cars: N/R
Towing Capacity for Trucks: 2100/13500 lbs.
Payload Capacity for Trucks: 3310/3310 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight for Trucks: 8800 lbs.
Tires (Std.): LT265/75R16E All-Season SBR BSW
Transmission: Automatic

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have a 2900MK and pull it with an F250 Diesel (2008). Pulls like a dream. We do get just a little squatting down when the trailer is hooked up, but are getting Super Springs added on to correct that.

Thanks Gus! This is gas, not diesel. Do you think it will have any impact? Can you tell me about the Super Springs? Thanks so much!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Taryn, in my opinion, the 3/4 ton will be enough truck and if you can swing it, I would seriously consider a diesel. They are made for towing. Not that the gasser wont handle it, but there is a difference when towing. Just my thoughts.
Good luck on what ever you do. And let us know.
Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Taryn, The engine in the truckyou are looking at is a V10. It is a very capable engine and it's the same as used in many Class A and Class C motorhomes. The downside of that V10 is it's a thirsty beast, even when not towing. You might want to look around for a similar year or even earlier diesel in the same price range. If you like the truck your looking at it will do the job but a set of air bags or some other means of rear suspension assist will help keep it level.

Shadowchek

I would have to agree with everything everyone else here said. The 3/4 ton should be plenty of truck for that fiver. A one ton would be nice just because it won't have a squating problem but definately not needed. The Gas truck would be o.k. but a diesel would be a whole lot better. Better gas mileage better at going up hill better longevity and better resale value. 4wd would also be a preference again not needed but nice to have occasionally.

Greg

jnbhobe

Merrickmgt; As everyone else says ,you have plenty of truck with the V-10 and yes it is thirsty but its a good motor.You hadn't posted your specs. yet when I asked about motor and gears. You'll enjoy the Sundance!! JON ;) ;)

Cyncwby

With all due respect to Boats reply about the "Supersprings" I would definately look into either "Air Ride" or "Firestone" air bags w/ an on board compressor for the rear. Both are completely adjustable for ride height when you're towing or can be deflated when not.

As for the V-10......yes it's a good engine BUT like said before VERY thirsty. Had a buddy that had to get one because his wife didn't like the sound of a diesel and thought the fumes would hurt their horses. Well it cost them a lot of money to trade it back in and get a Powerstroke truck because it was killing them mileage wise.....food for thought.

we have the 2900 mk also & pull with 3/4 ton dodge diesel , have trembrins on rear keeps everything level & smooths out the bumps, pulled 7000km. this winter on trip & it handled better than our 25 ft. 5th wheel we had previously,

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
We pull our 2900MK with Dodge Ram 2500HD diesel and have no complaints. In fact I am impressed with the ride and handling, and at this point not considering any need to supplement with springs or air bags.

Merrickmgt; As everyone else says ,you have plenty of truck with the V-10 and yes it is thirsty but its a good motor.You hadn't posted your specs. yet when I asked about motor and gears. You'll enjoy the Sundance!! JON ;) ;)

Hello :)

I wasn't sure how to answer about motors and gears because I know next to nothing about trucks :) However, I have recently learned a lot more this weekend. We have definitely decided on diesel though. I feel much better about pulling a fifth wheel with diesel.

Thank you all! I have learned SO much from all of you and value your input. We are pretty set on diesel now. Am I correct that V10 engines are only gas engines? See, I'm still a truck newbie ;-)

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Taryn
Not sure what you're really looking for. A truck that you can drive around home normally, a truck that can pull the 2900, or one that will do both. Are you set on Gas and the amount it may use?

Here is my experience. I had a Lincoln LS that was really fast. 160 MPH on the speedo. It got 21 mpg on the highway at 70mph.

My 2006 F250 Diesel gets 18-21 mpg on the hwy at 70mph, about 15mpg in town and about 10.5 mpg pulling a Bighorn 3400 which has a 14,800 GVWR and weighs about 12,400 on the axles (have 7k axles not 6k). Your 2900 has a GVWR of 12K. I now have about 72,000 miles on my F250 and have had some minor problems which were handled with the 100,000 mile engine warranty.

If I can get the traction I could rotate the world.:rolleyes: Well almost.:D But if I were going to get a Tow Vehicle that could meet the needs of daily work and pull my trailer, I would go with a good diesel truck.

Now if you need a vehicle to go to work and you drive 50-60 miles to work, I would invest in a $5k Honda or such that got 40 mpg and drive it until the wheels fell off and then get another. I actually did that for about 20yrs to travel from Rowlett TX to Fort Worth TX every day.

Just my 2¢ worth....

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thank you all! I have learned SO much from all of you and value your input. We are pretty set on diesel now. Am I correct that V10 engines are only gas engines? See, I'm still a truck newbie ;-)

You are correct. The Ford V-10 is Gas only. The current Ford Diesel is a 6.4 Liter V-8. It's got more than enough HP and more important, torque, to pull the Sundance models. IMHO it will out last the V-10, get just as good, if not better mileage, and have significantly better trade-in value if you ever go that route (plus - in a pinch you can pull a stump out of the ground with it:D).

grizzlygiant

We have a 2900MK and pull it with an F250 Diesel (2008). Pulls like a dream. We do get just a little squatting down when the trailer is hooked up, but are getting Super Springs added on to correct that.

I pull a 2800 SRL with our Dodge 2500. It tows like a dream. I do have TIMBRENS which are passive when unloaded but take out any squat and bottoming at bumps when loaded..love 'em!

Rookey

I agree with all the other opinions - a good diesel and I might also suggset 4WD. I noticed you're in Tenn. We camp a lot in the Sierras and several places I go with our 2900MK, I need 4WD, otherwise I dig holes with the back tires while climbing hills, on dirt roads or on wet, grassy areas.
Just something to consider for where you might plan to camp.