Unique camping experience in Tennessee

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
UPDATE: Unique Camping In TN

While traveling back toward the east coast from Texas, we've had the pleasure of staying in a wonderfully unique RV Park in Unicoi, TN.

Grand View Ranch RV Park is one of the most interesting camping experiences we've ever had. It is a working horse ranch, complete with riding arenas, horseback riding, training, etc. They have an adjacent RV Park with sites that back up to a beautiful lake and 360 degree, panoramic views of the Smokey Mountains. The bath house is the cleanest we've ever seen. They have full hook-ups, cable, telephone and pull-thrus.
But the best part is the animals.

If you love the outdoors and especially animals you'll love this place. Miss Piggy the friendly pot-bellied pig. A beautiful 27 year old horse who roams the property and never wanders off...beautiful birds and geese nesting at the lake. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a campground as much as this one in a long time.

It's located off I-26 and I-81, just south of Bristol and Johnson City, TN. The owners are wonderful hosts and very accommodating. If you're ever in the area give them a try, you won't be disappointed...:D

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sounds like a great place to visit. Living in East Tennessee and camp alot in the Bristol area for the Nascar races, we haven't ever heard of them. Will look them up. Thanks for the info.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
They have an adjacent RV Park with sites that back up to a beautiful lake and 360 degree, panoramic views of the Smokey Mountains. The bath house is the cleanest we've ever seen. They have full hook-ups, cable, telephone and pull-thrus.

If you love the outdoors and especially animals you'll love this place. Miss Piggy the friendly pot-bellied pig. A beautiful 27 year old horse who roams the property and never wanders off...beautiful birds and geese nesting at the lake. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a campground as much as this one in a long time.

How come all the places I find are liusted under the "Nations Largest Cess Pool" or "Radium Heaven"??

Good to know there is still some stuff to see.

boatdoc

While traveling back toward the east coast from Texas, we've had the pleasure of staying in a wonderfully unique RV Park in Unicoi, TN.

Grand View Ranch RV Park is one of the most interesting camping experiences we've ever had. It is a working horse ranch, complete with riding arenas, horseback riding, training, etc. They have an adjacent RV Park with sites that back up to a beautiful lake and 360 degree, panoramic views of the Smokey Mountains. The bath house is the cleanest we've ever seen. They have full hook-ups, cable, telephone and pull-thrus.

It's located off I-26 and I-81, just south of Bristol and Johnson City, TN. The owners are wonderful hosts and very accommodating. If you're ever in the area give them a try, you won't be disappointed...:D

The wife and I along with another couple got to fly into this very area last year for the Nascar race and there can't be a better place in the states as far as the people and scenery. The rolling hills are just beautiful along with the local people we shared their house with. We are really wanting to go back with the trailers.

RnRCycloner

Thanks for the info.. We lived in the Tri-Cities area a number of years ago, Never new about Grand View CG.. I certainly will put that on my list of places to camp. There's some beautiful country up there, Roan Mtn is nice especially when the Rhododendron is in bloom... I believe that is in June.

Do they have web site?

kakampers

Update

UPDATE!! In my original post I said there were geese nesting....THEY HATCHED!! Apparently sometime in the last day or so...They are so cute....if I can get close enough I'll get pictures!

Man this place is neat!!

Here we go! #10 was taken outside of the RV. Had to use the non-digital telephoto so it's kind of grainy. However, while sitting here uploading the pictures I looked out the window, and what's right behind the rig on the lake...#11 taken from INSIDE the rig thru the rear picture window!! How cool is that?? Had to throw in #2...that's my Katie (bird dog) watching the geese on the lake yesterday wishing she wasn't cabled....:)

Attachments

• 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 000_0011.jpg
    000_0011.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Checked out the website after your 1st posting and we have decided to go check it out soon. Thanks for the post.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
That looks like a nice campground. I have it in "my have to go to folder".

This is one of the things that I like about this forum. We get to find some real neat places..

BTW Kakampers
That was a sorta nice campground. Cute Duckies..

Here's one I liked...

And there are duckies there also..:p They just don't have babies yet..:D

Attachments

• DSC_2260 Parish Park.jpg
    DSC_2260 Parish Park.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_2220 Parish Park Ducks.jpg
    DSC_2220 Parish Park Ducks.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 19

VixPix

We live only 40 minutes from this place. I've seen the sign at the interstate exit, but always too busy to take the time to go check it out. My wife & I are going to drive over there tonight to take a look before the sun sets on another beautiful Northeast Tennessee night. Thanks for bringing this campground to our attention. Photos of the geese were great!

Victor

kakampers

Vixpix...if you're that close, this is one of those "just want to get away" places...great for a quick weekend to relax and enjoy nature...yet it has everything you need.

We're now sitting in an Escapees Park, north of Knoxville, where the rig next to us is so close I can almost hear my neighbors...really missing Grandview right now. Oh Well...we can hit again in the fall on the way back to Texas...that's a plan!!;)

VixPix

Ken & Kathy,
Here I thought we would be looking for the Bighorn. You drove right past our place on your way to Knoxville if you took I-26W to I-81S. We're just off that junction. We've been to a couple of places near Knoxville, too and they were pretty closely spaced. Another place that we like very much is near Asheville, NC called Campfire Lodgings at www.campfirelodgings.com In fact, the picture on our signature is at one of their best sights which overlooks the city of Asheville and the mountains to the East. it's really nice.

Have a safe journey home. My wife just arrived and we're going for a quick drive to Unicoi.

Victor

GETnBYE

How's the drive up to campfire lodgings

I am camp-lifting the campground info for campfire lodgings. I want to go to the Biltmore and this looks like a great place.

one question?
It looks beautiful, but it also looks very high on a mountain side.
Soooo, how is the drive up there? I get a bit nervous on some of the mountain roads. (Have even made hubby let me out and walked at times). I am hoping this one has a nice road up to it.
Thanks for any info.

kakampers

Sorry about that Victor...we moved today, further south, as we are participating in a NSRA Car show in Knoxville this weekend. Had I known we might have company, we'd have stayed a day or two!!:D

Maybe on the way back in the fall...we plan to stop there again...Kathy