hitch/trailer brake question

flee27

I am getting a 32qbss and would like opinions of hitch and brake contollers.

Currently the dealer is recommending we get the Equilizer 4 point swap control hitch. From what I have read I would agree this is a good one. They are asking $575 for product/instal/setup.

I do not know about the brake controller. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Foster

irvin56

prodigy yes

I have owned one for 5 yrs and 2 trailers. works good. have to adjust when new trailer brakes, after adjusting brakes or if towing a different trailer.

Over all good and easy to use. get dealer to install it and set up.

3 different boost levels for hilly roads, city driving, highway driving. it all depends on how you want brakes to work.

I use no boost in city as your not travelling fast and lots of stop and go. Highway use it on 1.
mountain area I would use 2

BUT to each there own likings

flee27

I have another question. Should have asked this one first. I am also trying to decide between and 31qbs and a 32qbss. I have a 2009 silverado 1500 with HD trailering package. If you run the numbers I am below them with the 32qbss (not by much) but am hesitate this is to much trailer. I fits our needs better then the 31qbs but.......

Is there any members that have pulled a 7200# trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. I know gas mileage will not be good but are there any other concerns.

Never had a RV so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Foster

grizzlygiant

I have towed loaded at or even a little over the rated weights. Yes, it can be done but you will get a much better feel when you are below the rated capacity....better stopping, smoother level ride, less sway.

irvin56

mine has a 4.8 liter

and I have a 31.
I get 12.9 m.p.g with it.
I am at my limit for my truck. 1500 ext cab 3.73 gears
Trailer handles okay.

I know I canot pull one with bigger engine or 3/4 ton

If you have a bigger engine 5.4 or 6 then combinbed weight is higher.
Lots of 1/2 tons pulling big trailers.
You can not tell unless asking, what they have under hood.

it all depends on where, when and how much you camp or travel.
basically it's what you feel safe with and can handle