Generator

rumtot

I just purchased an Edge 18. I am thinking about getting a generator large enough to run the A/C unit. I would like to know what size generator I should look to buy. Any ideas about brand, weight, and cost would be helpful. Thanx in advance for any help. Scott

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Scott, assuming that you have a 13,500 btu ac unit that draw about, (not knowing what brand you have) 12.8 amps. That means you will need 1,656 watts to run it. If you are careful with your use of other things at the same time a 2,000 watt genny will work. What we don't now here is how much current your converter, refer or any other appliance you may use draws. I would consider a 3,000 watt for no worrys. Pros of a 2,000 watt = lighter, quieter. Cons of a 3,000 watt = louder and heavier. I am no expert on these matters so do your homework. Also consider rigging up an extended run tank if you plan to run your air for hours and hours.
Peace
Dave

J

Jumpshot

yeah, I agree with Cookie's reply. The dealer recommended 3-3500 watt gen. Add up all the amp draw and look at a Honda, Coleman, Konan? Check out the RV gens... get it quiet. Make sure you figure out the whole how you are going to supply gas to it...

rumtot

Thanx Jumpshot and Cookie I'll do some homework at this end and let you know what I do. Thanx again for the info. Scott

ddhburns

After a lot of research, I settled on the Yamaha EF30iSEB with a trifuel conversion. The problem, in my mind, of hauling gasoline is -- hauling gasoline! I've got some rolling 14 gallon tanks I could use, but the stuff just reeks no matter how you clean it up. The idea of keeping gallons and gallons of gasoline under the bed, for example, just wasn't appealing. If you're handy, you can do the propane conversion yourself; I'm not, so I'm having these guys do it http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com/

I think the 3000-series gens are all good, quiet reliable machines. Any number of folks have told me that the standard "emergency power outage" generators you get at WalMart of Home Depot will quickly make you the most hated man in the camp, and are not designed for serious use.

Nothing cheap about a top-of-the-line genset, but I've convinced myself that it'll be worth it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hey folks, I moved this thread out of the ATF section into General Discussion for the Edge. This is not really in the scope of the type of questions the factory would respond to. Thanks for understanding.

annirroc

We just bought a M18 as well and this is exactly the question I was just about to post! Thanks ... will wait by the sidelines to see what the final word is.

The RV Pro generator was recommended by an RV dealer but we're not convinced ... also found out that there is about a 25% return rate on these. Right now we're trying to decided between the Honda, Yamaha and Onan. I think it's worth the price for 'quiet' ... keeping with the spirit of the Edge, also looking to go with something 'light'.

We recently came back from a folk festival and I wish I knew what make the 5th wheel parked next to us used ... their generator was so quiet you couldn't hear it until you were right next to their unit!

rumtot

I ended up with a yamaha 2400 Light weight good with fuel and does what I need. Thanx for the input everyone Scott..

annirroc

I ended up with a yamaha 2400 Light weight good with fuel and does what I need. Thanx for the input everyone Scott..

Hi Scott. Will the 2400 run your air? According to the specs I thought we needed a minimum of 2800 watts?

rumtot

The yamaha 2400 does run the AC. The 2800 watts is my guess for start up. I fired up the microwave and it ran but was overloaded. I figure if I need to nuke something I can shut down the AC for a few min. The converter and charger were also running along with the AC. Scott

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I use a honda 3000 and it runs my 15000btu ac in my bighorn. The big problem is starting it not running it

annirroc

Check out the new Honda EU300i Handi!

By George I think I found it!! New this summer - Honda now has a 3000-watt inverter that's only 78 lbs! Perfect for those of us that are trying to keep things light. No electric start (which accounts for some of the weight) but our past experience with Honda equipment is definitely a 'one-pull' success (even after seasons of neglect, as with our lawnmower and rototiller). The other version of the 3000 weighs over 50 lbs more.

The bad news - it seems awfully expensive. I guess "less really is more".

See http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...GG&modelname=EU3000i Handi&modelid=EU3000iHAN.

MurrayN.

I just purchased a 2000 watt inverter gen from Costco, reg price $600, got the floor model for $500. Went home and hooked it up to my new Sundance and the thing immediately died went the compressor for the air conditioner kicked in. It can run the fan on high or low speed , but definitely doesn't have the capacity for the compressor. My friend had purchased the exact same gen and had been able to run his a/c on his sob trailer. I thought that I might get lucky and be able to do the same but it was not to be. The good thing about Costco is that you can return absolutely anything there even if it has been used. I wouldn't buy anything smaller than a 3000 watt unless the seller is willing to let you bring it back if it isn't big enough for your needs.

maryj

Hello Scott, We have a new Edge and our friend let us use his new Yamaha 2400IS and it runs our a/c while our H2O pump, water heater, many lights and the stove fan was running. He actually sold it to us because he has a 15,000 a/c unit on his camper and it couldn't run that. So far we love the Yamaha, it's really quite but most of camping so far has been up here in Colorado and we're even more happy to have a heater in the camper! We may never need the a/c...

2010augusta

To know what size generator you'll need, just take the max amps the trailer uses and multiply by 110 or 120. For example the LM needs 50 amps x 110 =5500 Watts, or 30 amps x 110 = 3300 Watts. The 2000 watt units only deliver 16-18 amps, so you are trying to run a trailer on a single home outlet, it ain't going to work.

Northern Virginia
To know what size generator you'll need, just take the max amps the trailer uses and multiply by 110 or 120. For example the LM needs 50 amps x 110 =5500 Watts, or 30 amps x 110 = 3300 Watts. The 2000 watt units only deliver 16-18 amps, so you are trying to run a trailer on a single home outlet, it ain't going to work.

The Landmark is 50 amps at 240 volt, which is 12,000 watts :eek:. I have an Onan 6500 watt and it will power (and start) both a/c units with power to spare. I wouldn't want anything smaller now that we have used it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
The Landmark is 50 amps at 240 volt, which is 12,000 watts :eek:. I have an Onan 6500 watt and it will power (and start) both a/c units with power to spare. I wouldn't want anything smaller now that we have used it.

I, on the other hand, also have 50A (12,000W) service to my Bighorn, but with a single air conditioner we've always found a 3000 W genny to be adequate. As a matter of fact, I'm seriously considering a 3600W Onan LP unit as a built-in. Ah, so many choices :)

2010augusta

Newbie: the Trailer have no 240 volt service. although the 50 Amp service is capable of 240, the wiring is done so it has 2 line of 110/120 service. every thing is wired from common to either the +120 or the -120 line. Nothing is wired from +120 to -120. If you accidentilly plug into a plug that is wired wrong and get 240 into the trailer, it will fry most if not all of the appliances.

The factory 5500 watt Onan is also capable if starting both A/C's and running the convection oven plus some. The 6500 would be a good choice to have plenty of extra power, but 12,000 watts is not necessary.

Northern Virginia
Newbie: the Trailer have no 240 volt service. although the 50 Amp service is capable of 240, the wiring is done so it has 2 line of 110/120 service. every thing is wired from common to either the +120 or the -120 line. Nothing is wired from +120 to -120. If you accidentilly plug into a plug that is wired wrong and get 240 into the trailer, it will fry most if not all of the appliances.

The factory 5500 watt Onan is also capable if starting both A/C's and running the convection oven plus some. The 6500 would be a good choice to have plenty of extra power, but 12,000 watts is not necessary.

You are correct that nothing is wired for 240 volt. BUT if you put your meter in the panel you have 240 v from L1 to L2. If you wanted to add a 240 v appliance, all you would need to do is add a two pole breaker in the spare slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010augusta //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
To know what size generator you'll need, just take the max amps the trailer uses and multiply by 110 or 120. For example the LM needs 50 amps x 110 =5500 Watts, or 30 amps x 110 = 3300 Watts...

I agree that 12000 watts would be overkill. But I was only correcting your illustration;)

John