Ice maker

ralphpam

We just picked up our new Bighorn 3670RL and love it but we can not get water to the ice maker. If any of you have had this problem how did you fix it?

jpmorgan37

ralphpam;

Welcome to the Heartland family and I hope you have many happy adventures in your Bighorn. Your dealer should have gone over the operation of your refrigerator and ice maker when you did your Pre Delivery inspection. It's probably of matter of just cycling the icemaker several times to get the air out of the lines and the unit full of water.

John

CrazyScotsman

Did you turn the small valve under the sink to on position ?
If you did, check behind fridge ( outside ) to make sure it's plugged in. Also you may want to check to make sure the water line under the sink going to fridge isn't kinked. Mine was and couldn't get water to ice maker.
Hope this helps, and happy travels in your Big Horn

2010augusta

If no valve under the sink, check behind the wall, behind the UDC. you can follow the supply line sometimes to see where it goes.

boatdoc

If no valve under the sink, check behind the wall, behind the UDC. you can follow the supply line sometimes to see where it goes.

That's where our's was on our 09' 3670!! You must have got the same PDI person we did!! My fault, should have asked more questions but I learned on my own and I think it was for the better.

lhetsler

Cycling the icemaker

To cycle the icemaker take the plastice cover off of the front and turn the large gear clockwise. There is an arrow on the gear showing you this. Turn it until it kicks in and begins to turn on its own. Don't forget you must be on 110 electric as the icemaker does not run on 12v. As stated it may take more than one cycle to get the air out, although after you get the cycle to start, it should begin doing it on its own. But to speed it up, if your in a hurry for ice, after you hear it spurt and it stops moving, you can turn the gear again. But, if your in no big hurry, just let it go and overnight you should have some ice. I remember I had to adjust the size of the icecubes with the little screw on the upper right, again inside of the plastic cover. It shows + or - on it. If it is set for too large of cubes, you may have trouble with cubes sticking in the tray. Ours works quite well. We just spent 2 weeks in Charleston SC with temps in the 70s and I had to shut it off a couple of times because the tray was full. In hotter weather, it is less efficient, but still works okay. It is nice to have ice. I know we used to be happy camping in a tent, but as we have aged, we do enjoy the finer things even while camping.

Triber

Re: Icemaker

Our '09 Big Horn 3670RL has an icemaker. It wouldn't work. I found the problem was that the supply line valve had never been turned on. On ours, it is located behind the panel in the basement that gives access to the furnace, water heater and so on. Kind of an inconvenient place for a shut off valve. Anyway, the ice maker worked fine once it got water. A word of caution though. We wintered in Yuma and once the ice maker was working, we found that the freezer compartemnt frosted up very quickly. My wife was having to defrost it every few weeks. I got the manual out and discovered that the icemaker works on the absorption principle which means that as it makes ice, it gives off moisture into the freezer compartment! Now that is dumb!

After defrosting the unit too many times for my wife's liking, I went shopping and found a great portable ice maker on sale and so I shut the unit off in the freezer and we use the portable unit which gives us plenty of ice. there is also more room now to store frozen food. As well, the freezer was defrosted six weeks ago and frost build up is not a problem yet!

If I had known this when I ordered our unit, I would have not ordered it with an ice maker. The portable unit is a much better idea for us!