HELP! Landing Gear won't go up or down!

jcochran

Went to pick up the camper where I store it yesterday and discovered when I went to hook up that the landing gear motor is running but it does not go up or down. The battery is charged but sounds like some gears grinding at first and then nothing. Who do I contact since I am 2 1/2 hours from the nearest dealer. Is this an easy fix?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If neither side is moving up or down, check where the motor attaches to the leg inside the front cargo compartment. It's possible that the bolt connecting the motor to the spindles has fallen out. If so, you just need to replace that bolt and the motor can then move the legs. Also check the other side, there is a bolt for that side also.

If all seems, OK, then it's probably what happened to us...a gear in the motor has stripped and the motor will need to be replaced. As said earlier, you should have a handle to manually crank the legs up and down. We had to do this, if you do, have someone push the button to extend the legs while you crank...it makes the process much easier.

jcochran

Thanks everyone! I did try and hand crank the motor but nothing happened. I checked the bolts on both ends of the shaft that the motor turns and they were in place. I then disassembled the entire landing gear shaft, motor and gear itself. Motor is fine, shaft is fine but the gears in the top of the landing gear leg appear to be fried. I will call Lippert in the AM to get the answer. I can reinstall easily.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
went to pick up the camper where i store it yesterday and discovered when i went to hook up that the landing gear motor is running but it does not go up or down. The battery is charged but sounds like some gears grinding at first and then nothing. Who do i contact since i am 2 1/2 hours from the nearest dealer. Is this an easy fix?

good luck on your landing gear, let us know how it unfolds. Looks like you do have a great last name.
Kenny cochran

geeksrus

I seem to have the same problem... would appreciate getting an update regarding how the problem is resolved.

Eh1

jcochran

Well, I got into the landing gear mechanism by removing the black cap on the very top of the leg. This will expose the gears. While my gears appeared to be fine I noticed that the horizontal gear that sits on the worm drive shaft was a little loose. I the took apart the gear assembly by removing the snap ring on one side of the shaft and the shaft pin on the other side and slid the whole thing apart. really pretty simple stuff. Looking in from the top I could see a press fit piece of metal that is fit into the sidewall of the landing gear leg. My metal fitting had actually slid down on one side about 1/4 inch which prevented the horizontal gear from engaging with the vertical gear hence the wobbly lower gear. After I had the gears out it was obvious. Got on the phone with Lippert and they could not have been nicer. They are sending me two new landing gear legs 3 day UPS. I had to pay for everything upfront but they are including a prepaid return tag with the new legs so I can ship it back and hopefully get reimbursed under warranty. It really only seems like there are 3 things that can go wrong with the landing gear. What happened to me, The gears in the top of the leg which are brass I think get stripped or the gear in the motor gets fried. Not that hard to fix but mindboggling to figure out when you are stuck! Thanks to Lippert again!

jcochran

Got everything back together and I am good to go. Unfortunately we missed the window for our trip but there will be others. If anyone has this problem please PM me and I will walk you through it.