DirecTV and Old Receivers..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I guess it is time to start checking things out for new receivers. I read a thread today about someone else having receivers that are about 8 or more years old. We have two. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Terry helped me split the cable from the living room to the bedroom and connect it to the extra connector in the UDC for the roof sat.

I found out that I could not see over half of the PPV channels. They were on the schedule on the internet, but not on my channel list. I called in to Directv and they said the problem was that the receivers did not have enough memory for all the channels. Well I am not real sure that is the case. Can't contest it but why would I loose just the PPV channel and not the others?? Any way they said if I went to the store and purchased new receivers I would have to make a new 2 year contract. If I went on the internet I could purchase a free from lease receiver. I don't know which receiver to look for and getting one from EBay is not my cup of tea. I don't have the setup for TiVo

So I am interested in those that have or have had older receivers they used on Directv. What are you doing or what you did to change receivers. I don't really need PPV but sometimes it nicer to watch a newer movie here at home than try to find a movie theater.

What do you think???

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I recently upgraded two of my recievers. I got them from DTV and opted to get the two year commitment, cause I have had them for 14 years and will continue with them. Without an agreement you can, like you said buy one on ebay. I got the DVR Hi Def free and bought a Hi Def non DVR. Got an extra dish on a tripod for the Bighorn. Non DVR model is H20. DVR model is HR22. You have a HD TV, why not make use of it. Love that Hi Def.
Peace
Dave

SmokeyBare

Re-sale shops often have old receivers... such as Salvation Army... GoodWill...

Might be worth a visit to see...

Marv