2nd Air Conditioner for Bedroom

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Anyone have good ideas for the bedroom A/C as we are looking for a low profile one that will cool us off in the summer. Last summer without one we relied luckily on a oscillating fan that somewhat cooled us off, but this summer we are heading out for a 51 day trip and while in Calistoga Wine Country in July I got a strange suspicion that we need the second a/c. Since we have a useless fantastic fan there now and we ordered the a/c wiring to be ready for the bedroom, we are open to any suggestions. We live in socal and also need it installed. Where is shadowcheck (Mr. HVAC) when you need him? LOL

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've been thinking of getting a 2nd a/c also. I know Camping World has pretty good sales and sometimes free installs but I'll have to monitor the sales for the best timing for that. The other option is to check e-bay and do the install myself. We're pre-wired, braced and the circuit breaker is in. The only problem I might have is getting it on the roof.

khd995

I have a penguin low profile 13.5 k. It is easy to install by yourself. Hard part is getting it on the roof. Works great, have also heard good things about carriers low profile unit. Check ebay, I have seen some pretty cheap prices there.

jwb187

I had my dealer install a 2nd AC in my 3055rl as I knew that where I camped I would need more air than the original 15000 would supply. I had a 13500 duotherm (non ducted) installed in the front bed room. This makes a world of difference and I really use the front ac more than the thermostat controlled one. It puts out more air as the ductwork in Big Horns is terrible even after doing the TIMK fix. We like using the bedfroom air as its much more quiet especially while you are in the living area. Seems like the cost was around $500 or so. Just my .02 cents worth.....jwb.

Peteandsharon

As I stated on a different thread, I chose the Coleman Polar Cub with 9200 BTU. One thing that was stressed to me is that you don't want too strong a unit in the bedroom area because it could cause the unit to cycle off too quickly and consequently not dehumidify enough. You can find a good price for the Polar Cub at www.pplmotorhomes.com. It was the best price that I could find online although when you consider shipping and installation, my dealer beat it handily.

VixPix

We had our dealer install the Penguin 13.5K, with a heat strip, in the bedroom. After first time out following installation, we took it back to have a thermostatic control mounted to the wall. Otherwise, it ran the fan full-time with the original unit mounted control panel. I can't sleep well with that unit running all night long. Now, we love it. Our kids especially love it because we don't have to freeze them out of living room area just to keep the bedroom cool. We spent two weeks at Myrtle Beach last June/July and were able to keep all areas of the coach at reasonable temps day or night.

Victor

Uncle Rog

Larry, CW was half of what the dealer wanted, about $550 installed, that was two years ago. They offered 2 units, a 10.5A and a 15A, the 10.5 was $50 more............The wiring should already be in the roof, ready to go..........ours was.

jpmorgan37

Gentlemen, For what it's worth, I have a 13.5k btu combo A/C - heat pump in the bedroom. It is a Duo-therm, Lo Profile. It doesn't sit any higher that my main unit, so overhead clearance is not affected. As I have stated in a lot of post on here, it does a very good job and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. And Larry, we will be in Savannah, GA in July and August-100 degrees and 100% humidity. I expect to be comfortably cool inside. We were at 108 degrees in Texas. But the humidity was low that day, only 92%. :D:D:D

John:D

Uncle Rog

JP, that is camping "whether", sounds like you have the long deal with the combo unit. I did not even think about the heat pump feature, live 'n learn...................

Jimmyt5

A little hint on getting unit on roof.
Last year my heat pump sprang a freon leak. The repair man came out and stood an extension ladder up against the Horn. Went up on the roof and tied a rope to the old unit and slide it down the rails on the ladder, then tied on to the new one and pulled it up on the roof. Slick for a one man operation....

jpmorgan37

Rog;

We live "in" whether it's 10 degrees or 110 degrees. So far, we have remained very comfortable "inside" our Landmark. Over three years now and still love it.

John

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Thanks for all the input everyone on bedroom AC's, here is the latest info I got from Camping World in San Marcos, CA, where I was yesterday, having them move my 7 way electric plug that they mistakenly put right behind my cab, and now have placed it near the tailgate where it belongs.

CW recommends the 13.5 Penguin or Duo Therm and discouraged me from buying a 15K BTU unit because when u r in a campground with only 30 amps, you could only use them one at a time. They discouraged me from getting a heat strip for humidity purposes. The total cost for either units installed incl the fact we are pre wired was outrageous at around $1200. This includes 2 hours labor to move my "on the roof" Motosat Satellite a few feet away, as its too close to the fantastic fan vent where the new AC unit would be placed. Also recommended the real low profile model as Bighorns are higher in the front then most 5th wheels, which I didn't know, and they were worried about low bridges and overpasses for me. This did not include a wall thermostat or a remote. Sounds pretty pricey to me. Comments and any more ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have a 13500 duotherm (non ducted) in our bedroom. It is a low profile unit. If I was to do it over again I would probably get a heat pump instead, or at least be sure to get the heat strip in the AC unit so we could us it to warm the bedroom. We use a Polonis electric 1100 watt space heater in the bedroom.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also had the dealer install a DuoTherm 13500 low profile when we bought the BC. Not being fulltimer yet, this unit works great both with the heating and a/c and yes, it's great when we are in a noisy campground using it to drown out that noise. Tech is changing so fast that when we decide to trade, there will probably be something better on the market.

Last edited:

khd995

You can get a carrier low profile on ebay for around $570 plus around $100 shipping. Self install is easy if I did it. The only hard part is getting it on the roof. Of course if you have to move a satelitte dish, that's something I don't have a clue about.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Getting it on the roof is no problem. Put a sheet of plywood or several layers of cardboard on the roof so you don't rip the rubber roof!!! Have one man on the roof. Have 2 men in the back of your truck, parked on the side of your rv. Have the men in the truck hand the ac unit to the man on the roof and slide it on the plywood. No problem, done. Pick the ac unit up and drop it in the hole, hook it up. Now the key part to the whole thing!! Get some weatherstripping foam and install it on the roof, so the water run off goes to the opposite side of your door to the rv. Do this for both ac units. This will help out if you ever park in the dirt (dry camping) and the ac water run off makes a puddle for kids to play in and bring in the rv.

Gents, how do you know if the coach is prewired and braced? My 2007 Bighorn 3400 RL came with a circuit breaker already installed for the optional front A/C. Now we're seriously considering adding the front unit but not sure if the ceiling is ready. Can I drop the vent and find the pigtail? Thanks! Jay

jbeletti

Jay,

99.99% certain you are all set. If you need that last .01% certainty, remove the interior trim of your bedroom ceiling vent fan and poke around for some extra wiring.

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have the Penguin low profile. The thermostat is built into the A/C. It might be to noisy for many people but like Nabo we like it because at night it makes enough noise that it blocks out all the outside noise. Trains, Cars, Motorcycles, Dodge Diesel's :eek:, Dogs, Drunks and such... Hee Hee...:D

It is 13.5 and we turn it on just before going to bed. I has the heat strip in it. The Heat Pump does not work very well when the outside temp is below 40*. With the heat strip it keeps on working reguardless of the outside temp. It will get our bedroom (with the BR door closed) down to 65-63* in the bedroom. YES we perfer it cool. Sleep better than when it is hot. Would not be without it...

Jim and Bob, thanks for the quick replies! I too will get a heat strip for the cold wx camping. Looking at the Carrier 13.5k btu low profile. Jay