generator install

thomasinnv

i am going to be installing a generator in the front compartment of my 3300RLB later this week (when it finally gets here, yay!). how easy/difficult is it to gain access to the floor space above/below the basement storage compartment? how about the bulkhead for access to the back side of the power converter? i am thinking about putting the transfer switch behind the converter, is there enough room in there?

Rmcgrath53

The Factory told me that the warranty is void if you put a generator in the front compartment. I think you can sqeeze a onnan 3500 in there if you weld up som brackets . ?The door is at an angle so in order to get it to fit you have to build a fram up from the bottom. I saw one done up with a lot of extra weight on the front. I just went with 2 honda i2000e with a parralel kit. They each weigh about 49 lbs , I keep them in the front storage and take them out when in use. I put them in the back of the 5er.
Ron

thomasinnv

What would putting a generator in the compartment have to do with warranty? You can order one in it from the factory so whats the difference? An onan 3600 qg will fit without alterations to the compartment, other than enclosing it obviously.

thomasinnv

Thomas,

Generator is "not" an option for Sundance from the factory.

Jim

ok, simple mistake. what about the other statement though? would installing a generator in the front compartment void the warranty as long as the structure remained unchanged?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
thomasinnv, many people carry a genny or two, but like in "the other statement" he takes them out when in use. I would never run a portable genny in my basement or garrage, as they are made to run outside. Can you say "death by carbon monoxide".
Peace
Dave

thomasinnv

thomasinnv, many people carry a genny or two, but like in "the other statement" he takes them out when in use. I would never run a portable genny in my basement or garrage, as they are made to run outside. Can you say "death by carbon monoxide".
Peace
Dave

i am referring to a permanently installed rv generator, not a portable. i did the same thing in my 2000 wildwood when i bought it, and had no problems because of it. many fifth wheels have generators installed as a factory option, or as a dealer extra. i just don't understand how a manufacturer can tell you not to install an appliance or your warranty is void. thats like telling me i can't use a toaster without voiding my warranty. i wish the factory would chime in here.

H

Heartland Service

The warranty would not be voided. The installation would be considered a modification. Therefore, any damage or defect linked to the installation would not be covered under the warranty--voided?

Any defect or damage caused from the installation of the generator or any personal health issue that could be related to the generator would not be covered under Heartland's warranty. For example "death by Carbon Monoxide" is a bit extreme, or having an electrical concern that would be linked back to the installation of the generator.

I would make sure you have someone that is skilled in installing generators install it as you do not want any defects or leaks.

Rmcgrath53

I would have put one in there also. I paid for it up front, my dealer was unaware that they arent preped for one and ?I made phone calls to the factory. Now whether they said "void" or not , they implied that if something goes wrong its on me. I took it as tho the extra weigh that it puts on the frame, If there are any frame flex issues down the road you will most likely be "on your own". "Void".
Ron

thomasinnv

I would have put one in there also. I paid for it up front, my dealer was unaware that they arent preped for one and ?I made phone calls to the factory. Now whether they said "void" or not , they implied that if something goes wrong its on me. I took it as tho the extra weigh that it puts on the frame, If there are any frame flex issues down the road you will most likely be "on your own". "Void".
Ron

i can certainly see the concern for the weight, but as long as you don't exceed the gvw of the trailer i wouldn't think there should be an issue. provided of course the integrity of the structure wasn't changed. but i suppose some people could use any opportunity to refuse responsibility for a warranty issue.