Our 48 hour Odyssey!

Howzit

We picked up the Sundance on Friday from Holman RV! Having left Kansas at 2.30pm on Thursday and arriving in Cincinnati at 5am on Friday it was quite a challenge to get the hitch installed and the walk-through started at 8am.

Anyway, our ‘ guide’ Jim was very knowledgeable but kept on letting me know we had just two hours as he had another appointment at 10am. He tried to work through the checklist quickly but I kept on tack and tried to test everything as best I could. At 10am he handed me my ‘starter kit’ and asked us to visit with finance and seal the deal. I let him know we would be checking out the rig for another hour or so as we were not quite ready.

JUST AS WELL! Lo and behold a puddle of water starts forming outside the fridge soon after he leaves. I call him back and he finds the water heater below the fridge the connections are lose and not tightened at all. After this we test and test again. Fridge, micro, aircon, plumbing, etc. Around 11am we are done and head back to the hotel to check out.

We finally get out of Holman RV around 2.30 pm, checking the lug nuts every 50 miles, and drive until 9pm, stopping in St Elmo RV Park for the night. We hook her up and everything seems to be working fine. So far so good. Upon leaving the campsite at 9am on Saturday our neighbor has to remind us to fold away the steps…and the remind us to fold back the door handle. WE ARE SUCH ROOKIES!

We arrive home in Wichita at 8pm. The F250 towed like a dream and the Sundance seemed like an easy tow. Just need to work on backing this thing up. Once settled I try to unlock the camper. Key won’t go in so we wait til morning. I send the kids in via the laundry-chute in the hopes of releasing the lock from the inside. No luck there. Apparently once locked from the outside the red latch inside is useless. BIG SAFETY ISSUE HERE! I then send the wife in with a Philips screwdriver and she unscrews the lock and we finally gain access. Will have to sort this out.

So far so good and we look forward to a fully-fledged shake-down cruise.

FordF250058.jpg

FordF250055.jpg

FordF250056.jpg

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Neil & Kam;

Congratulations on your new Sundance and "Good for you" in staying with your PDI inspection. Not sure what happened to your lock, but I'm sure that if you contact your dealer or Heartland Customer Service, that one of them would authorize a local locksmith to correct you lock so that you wouldn't have to make a trip back to the dealership. Just my opinion.

John

Howzit

Neil & Kam;

Congratulations on your new Sundance and "Good for you" in staying with your PDI inspection. Not sure what happened to your lock, but I'm sure that if you contact your dealer or Heartland Customer Service, that one of them would authorize a local locksmith to correct you lock so that you wouldn't have to make a trip back to the dealership. Just my opinion.

John

John, thanks for the kind words and for publishing the PDI Checklist. As absolute rookies to towing a camper of anysort we would have been totally lost without it.

Towing for the first time was daunting, taking corners for the first time was intimidating, setting up and hooking up at a camp for the first time an experience and figuring out the tank dumps for the first time unforgettable. :eek:

..so far PRICELESS!!! :D

Cheers,
Neal

jpmorgan37

Neil & Kam;

Keep diaries and remember these days. They will provide you with many smiles in the years to come, believe me. These memories will be precious and you will be able to share them with many other "newbees", which in itself, is so fulfilling.

Love your new RV and the joys that come with it.

John

Howzit

Dear diary, day two we drove through rain to get home. Day three terrible storms blew through Wichita. Huge downpour with 60 mph winds. Sundance in the driveway was taking a pounding. We fear the worst. :(

Day 4: Checked out the Sundance expecting to see puddles of water and things broken. She stood firm! ALL IS DRY!!! :cool:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Neal, good to hear you're first trip was a good one. Enjoy your new Sundance and I hope you get your lock situation solved easily.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Your lock is most likely an id-10-t problem. Write that down and take the hyphens out. Ok, it's just a joke.
The locks are a little tricky if you don't know how to use them, you could be locking the top lock, then unlocking the bottom lock and etc. Door could also be jammed. I would try it again. Once you figure it out, always lock the bottom lock, never use the top lock. K

nscaler2

Our lock too

We had a similar problem with the door lock on our 3055RL. Yes it will NOT open from the inside. We gained access via one of our open windows and couldn't open it from the inside either. Had to call a locksmith to get the door open, which was paid for by our Good Sam ERS. The key would only go in part way. Heartland sent our dealer a new mechanism. Like someone in a post above said, we never lock the dead bolt now, since it was the one that caused the problem in the first place. ;)

Howzit

Your lock is most likely an id-10-t problem. Write that down and take the hyphens out. Ok, it's just a joke.
The locks are a little tricky if you don't know how to use them, you could be locking the top lock, then unlocking the bottom lock and etc. Door could also be jammed. I would try it again. Once you figure it out, always lock the bottom lock, never use the top lock. K

I took one look at the top lock and left it alone as it had a sticker over the lock. I was using the bottom one. It worked a couple of times before and yes the action was a little tricky. However the key will now only penetrate halfway before sticking. I used both keys before and both will not go in now.

I have removed the sliding bolt and am now using the top lock :( (with a 4 and 2 year old leaving it unlocked is not a option) :eek:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok.. this may not be your problem, but I found out that the dead bolt lock (not the one in the handle) you can have a problem if you lock the door (turn the key to the left) and remove it. The way to lock the door is turn the key to the left all the way and then turn it to the right to the straight up position. Now remove the key.

Same way to open the lock. Turn all the way to the right, then back to the left to the straight up position.
BC

Howzit

Ok.. this may not be your problem, but I found out that the dead bolt lock (not the one in the handle) you can have a problem if you lock the door (turn the key to the left) and remove it. The way to lock the door is turn the key to the left all the way and then turn it to the right to the straight up position. Now remove the key.

Same way to open the lock. Turn all the way to the right, then back to the left to the straight up position.
BC

Tex, I believe you are right but my problem is is that the key was removed while the lock was in the parallel position - now the key won't go back in.