Sheets

Paul & Nan

I work in the home dept of a major retailer and we do not sell sheets that size. You will need to get the regular kings and tuck under, or maybe a deep pocket queen may give you the size you need in a fitted. It is a pain to have odd sized beds and I really do not understand why they do that to us. Nan

jbeletti

Hi gang,

Making no excuses whatsoever for why RV makers use shorter beds, I think I "may" know why.

Many popular floor plans have the bed placed across the width of the trailer. When this is done, the bed gets constrained by the overall width of the trailer. With a dresser opposite - just across from the foot of the bed, with the bed slide in, there must be clearance at the foot of the bed for the slide to close fully.

I don't have access to my trailer today and I have not measured my Landmark but assuming the outside width is 8' or 96", if I take off about 8" for the finished thickness of the 2 side walls (includes stud depth + indoor & outdoor sheathing), that leaves 88" for stuff.

//heartlandowners.org/images/bed_sizes.gif

If a full king mattress at 80" in length was used on a bed frame with no head board, that would leave only 8" of depth for an aisle way and a dresser.

Even on a Teton with a 102" wide body (and 6 inches for the width of 2 of their walls), that leaves about 96" inside. With an 80" long mattress, you're left with 16" for an aisle and dresser.

My logic above may not be flawless but if it is close, then I can understand why it is difficult to use a full 80" length mattress on a bed that is placed across the width of the trailer.

That all said, I too wish I had a longer bed as my toes curl over the end. But I'd never be able to get around it and I'd have to prop the mattress up to close the slide.

Jim

Sawbonz

Jim,

It is 80" long, which is fine, but width is wrong for Queen (too wide) or King (too narrow). Talk about your happy medium!

jbeletti

Sawbonz,

I'll have to measure the length of my mattress this weekend. Not sure mine is 80" long. If it was, wouldn't think I'd hang off (I am 6' tall).

Hope you find sheets that work. I'll ask Nancy what we use and post back next week.

Jim

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
I wish that I'd have measured the bed in my last trailer (Sea Breeze). At the end of the bed, there was a built in vanity. When the slide was in, the bed went under the vanity. It seemed that it was longer for it to go in that far. Though I could be mistaken.

phranc

Wife says that we are using Queen sheets and they are tight. Said she is going to try kings next..We do have a memory foam topper on bed tho'...
Very comfy..

Deb

Deb
We have an air mattress (Bear Bed brand) in the RV and a Select Comfort Sleep number bed at home. I would pay 5K for the sleep number bed - it is that comfortable. The air mattress has an extra advantage as you can let out some of the air when traveling and add more when you set up camp - if it seems too tight when the slide is in. We will replace the Bear Bed with another Select Comfort one of these days.

Deb

Paul & Nan

OUr bed in the BH 3500RL is 80 long, with the end corners rounded off, it is something like 74 wide, to wide for queen, to narrow for king, so again, we use king sheets and tuck one side in. Nan

Cooper

I have a Golden Gate with King size bed we purchased 4 clips from Bed Bath and Beyond that or designed to hold your your oversized sheet tight to your matress. Works great

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
We use cal. king size sheets which are a little longer but are not not as wide and works well for use. we all so have a pillow top mattress.

Sawbonz

I would like to eventually go to the Select Comfort for the RV, but the one at Camping World is 72x80, another odd size. It will also hang an inch off of the platform, which I don't think is a big deal. I wish I could confirm that, but I left a message with whoever Heartland's buyer is last week, and he didn't return the call. Oh well, I will figure it out myself.

svd

We put a foam pad and matress pad on and then used regular king sheets. This makes a nice matress. We tried the foam pad over our select comfort at home and really liked it, so decided to put one in the trailer. If you watch overstock.com you can get the foam pads and sheets reasonable.

Sawbonz

Cooper said:
I have a Golden Gate with King size bed we purchased 4 clips from Bed Bath and Beyond that or designed to hold your your oversized sheet tight to your matress. Works great

Any chance you have some more info on these so I can find them online?

donabel

I bought a memory foam mattress and the foam dealer gave me a piece of scrap foam that was 8 inches thick and cut to the thickness of my matress. I had to cut it to width of bed, but, it made my queen become normal size.
It doesn't work well in my Cyclone. when slide comes in the matress has to bow up to fit. So I guess it is a question of available space. Short mattress is no problem for a short fat guy like me.

Don

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Last time I was in CW it seems I saw sheets specially sized for RV beds. Other than that I have seen on other forums where California King size fits the king sized RV bed, (Bed Bath and Beyond). Up to now I'm using regular king sized sheets, and as much as I wrestle around at night they get pretty wrinkled up and funky looking by morning. Gonna try the California kings next payday.

Princess Kathleen

We tried the rv matteress that came with the Luv Shak...did not sleep well...so DH decided to try our sealy on our king bed at home...it works fine...it does hangs over the edge of the platform, closes just fine....we added a matteress heating pad for DH. We use our king size sheets (from smartbargins.com) They have great prices on high quality bedding supplies...

PK

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We use CA King sheets from JC Penney online. They are by Sealy (or Serta, I can't remember which right now) and have a stretch fabric in the pockets so they adjust to fit matresses from 7 in to 20 in thick. Our local store doesn't carry them in stock, so I have to order them online.

Kristy