Gaps on Windows and Doors

imchud

A quick question... I noticed the caulking around the windows and doors only go over the top and down the sides about 3 to 4 inches on both sides... I know the reasoning behind it, but how about a driving rain from the sides or raining while you drive, won't it force the water into the side gaps:confused: Do you guys go ahead and complete the caulking down both sides and if so what type of caulking is best for the job??? Thanls..

Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The windows on every RV I've been familiar with are caulked the same way. The window actually has a rubber seal around the entire frame and when the window is installed it is tightened against the wall. The rubber seal is supposed to prevent the leaks. The caulk over the top and down the top corners is to prevent water from "sitting" in the small gap and is more so to provide mold from forming in that gap. You see the same type of caulk on the clearance lights and other things mounted on the wall. If you desire to, you may caulk all the way down the sides but it's not necessary. I don't know the specific name of the sealant to use but your dealer should have it in stock.

SmokeyBare

IF you decide to caulk each side... BE SURE NOT... to caulk the bottom of the window.

Should there ever be water that got behind the caulk... the open bottom allows the water to drain.

Marv

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I agree with Marv.

I have considered finishing the caulk on all windows. Haven't done it yet but I will.

imchud

Thanks for the information, I didn't know there was a seal all the way around the windows, it maks sense>>>

Thomas