Wall construction

aekisu

Dennis
I want to use a full-motion TV Wall Mount in my 2007 3055RL. The area where I will be mounting the mount is marked "HERE" in the picture.

The wall thickness measures 2" (between the interior and exterior walls) and the interior wall seems to be plywood or something similar and feels fairly substantial.

The TV weighs about 25 pounds and the plans are to place the TV next to the "HERE" wall and have it braced/tied to the wall and cabinet while traveling.

My question is, just what is the interior wall made of and how thick is the material. What is between the interior and exterior walls?

Clik image for a larger picture

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
aekisu, I do not have the same coach as you do but I do have a similar situation. IMO, the wall would not be strong enough to hold a 25 lb TV extended out on an arm. Maybe others have done it I don't know. But consider mounting the TV to the side where there is 3/4 inch of cabinet end to attach to. Here are a couple of pics of what I did in the bedroom. The mounting situation looks similar to yours.
Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DSC00378.JPG
    DSC00378.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 79

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Kenny put ours on the side of the inside of the cabinet we have a 17 inch LCD and it only weighs about 10 pounds it fits good in the cabinet now and i can pull it out and move it all around maybe he will write how he did it later----Kathy

aekisu

Dennis
Dave
Thanks for the input but I think I'm Short Of Luck.

To the left of the TV is a slideout wall. Behind is the wall in question (also a slideout wall). To the right is a thin walled, hollow-core cabinet wall.

I have thought about attaching additional plywood to the wall in question but the same question arises.

What is the interior slideout wall constructed of?

Dennis

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
aekisu, the interior slideout wall is luan plywood bonded to styrofoam core material. It is a laminated wall. I have seen a post where a member glued and screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood to an exterior wall without any problems. You would use either gorilla glue or Elmers and 1-3/4" #10 screws into screw in anchors available at any home center or Ace Hardware. What size TV are you mounting?

SmokeyBare

Build a door for the opening... and mount the TV with a surface mount attached to that door... leaving plenty of room behind the TV for other stuff... perhaps a Dish Receiver with a UHF remote control. Cabinet shop could frame up a door that would match the cabinets...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The interior wall surface is 1/4" luan board. Behind that is styrofoam insulation panel and then the exterior wall. Not good for hanging heavy objects. The bottom of that space is actually hollow, with the upper and lower surfaces being 1/4" luan board attached to cleats with brads.

Here is a thought and I'll try to detail it. Using 3/4" plywood (stain & finish to taste), construct a liner for that space to attach the bracket to. Cut the back piece to span the width of the wall inside the opening and just short of the front opening height so you can get it inside. Cut 3/4" plywood sections to fit the left and right interior sides of the opening, bracing against the back of the stiles of the opening. These side sections could even be triangular pieces, rather than covering the entire wall. If you are familiar with pocket hole joinery, attach the panels together in the back with that. That should give you a strong surface to attach the bracket to and prevent the whole thing from falling out due to the load of the extended TV. You may also want to attach a strut to the top of the insert, similar to the side walls, as additional support.

aekisu

Dennis
Well, all a bunch of great responses. Thanks a lot.

The TV weighs 24.something pounds. Not a lot of weight but certainly something to take into consideration while we are traveling. All the jiggling around would cause a lot of stress.

I was hoping to find a wall stud I could attach a plywood backing to. Does anyone know something about the wall studs?

jbeletti

...I was hoping to find a wall stud I could attach a plywood backing to. Does anyone know something about the wall studs?

They are aluminum - about 2" thick and are hollow. I suggest you use a stud finder to locate them.

If this were my project, I might consider the following process:

1. Locate and mark on wall, stud location(s)
  2. Bolt the TV mount to a large piece of 3/4" plywood or MDF as a backer board. Put bolts in from the back side
  3. Carefully determine location to mount backer onto wall and mark it. Measure for where bolt heads will contact wall and cut into wall deep enough for bolt heads to be recessed into wall when mounted
  4. Glue the backer onto the wall with construction adhesive
  5. Drill pilot holes through backer and into metal stud(s) for screws
  6. Using #8 sheet metal screws, screw into backer at pilot holes and into metal stud(s)
  7. Paint or otherwise cover backer to match or coordinate with interior of cabinet

aekisu

Dennis
This is the end results of all the great suggestions. The TV mount is bolted to the added plywood board (that is attached to a wall stud).

I added a horizontal board. The horizontal board is attached to the plywood and extends to another wall stud.

When I travel, the TV is pushed back to the plywood board and a foam piece is placed beneath the TV to provide additional support.

Attachments

• dscn0003.JPG
    dscn0003.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 42
  • dscn0001.JPG
    dscn0001.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 41