Our first trip in the Bighorn

v92c

Texan
We just got back from our first trip. All went well, except for a few problems for the dealer to fix. The biggest I think was the AC. The ducted AC was just sad. The den didnt get cool until after dark. The stool area stayed nice and cold. Even with both ACs running the Kitchen/Den was warm. Also I have a switch that I cannot figure out. Can anyone idnetify this switch?

BTW the fishing was great. And having a king sized bed was worth every penny of the upgrade.

Attachments

• DVC00158.JPG
    DVC00158.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 100

ChopperBill

Two ac's and it didn't stay cool? The crushed duct work really has to be addressed. Not writing the final check until mine blows cold air. Ain't sitting in the crapper just to stay cool! :mad:

ChopperBill

On a second reply. Can you just put on a regular vent and forget the duct work? I know my truck camper puts out a ton of air through that.

J

Jim_1899

I just purchased and picked up a 2006 Big Horn 3500RL two days ago. It only has one air conditioner and the dealer thought that would be enough that the 2nd air was not needed in the bedroom. Reading this has me a little concerned.

Paul & Nan

We have a 3500RL and one AC was enough last summer with lots of heat and humidity. Maybe it depends on how cool/cold some folks like to be. We were quite comfortable at the worst of summer though. Nan

v92c

Texan
The dealer tried to sell me that bull about only needing one AC. I live in Texas, I know better. The main unit does have a chill grill that can be opened to dump cold air into the kitchen, but the Den stays warm. Actually with the chill grill open or closed the den stayed warm. Also like Nan said, we like it cold, we keep the thermostat set at 70.

The awning light, that would make sense. I turned that switch on and looked at everything, then turned it off and tried again. I didnt think to try the plug twelve feet up. Thanks I will check it.

jimtoo

If you can get a solution to get more air volume from the ducts someway, please let us all know. My dealer did help a little, but it is still not enough to cool the unit like it should. Mine will be going back again this next week. This problem has got to be cured some way.

If you are speaking about the top most switch in the picture, it is for the outlet that is about 11 feet off the ground by the awning. Why was this outlet put up there?

nhunter

Jimtoo, that plug way up high is for your patio lanterns. We got an early 06 and it doesn't have it

davebennington

switch

We have a switch with no label on it. Found out it was for the tank heaters. If you have this option it could be that.

Dave:)

svd

On our trailer that switch is labeled "awning lights", although I haven't tried it yet. I always install those devices that clamp on to the awning to prevent flapping, so I always have a ladder anyway, that is how I would plug in the lights into the receptacle.

v92c

Texan
I got an 8 foot ladder and plugged in a radio to the awning light plug, the unlabelled switch does control that outlet.

Dusty

single ac

v92c said:
The dealer tried to sell me that bull about only needing one AC. I live in Texas, I know better. The main unit does have a chill grill that can be opened to dump cold air into the kitchen, but the Den stays warm. Actually with the chill grill open or closed the den stayed warm. Also like Nan said, we like it cold, we keep the thermostat set at 70.

The awning light, that would make sense. I turned that switch on and looked at everything, then turned it off and tried again. I didnt think to try the plug twelve feet up. Thanks I will check it.

I live in central texas and have found the single ac on my early '06 coach to be adequate for cooling the bedroom. It does take a wile to cool the coach down from being hot to being comfortable if you are sitting in the hot sun, but it gets 'er done.

v92c

Texan
I live near Houston and I have found that one AC unit is not enough. If we get to a campground at 12-1PM and set up, it will be 8-9PM before the camper can cool down with one AC. With two it will be an hour or two.

JoeW4300

We were in Florida for three months, Jan, Feb and March. The AC was fine although somewhat noisy. It kept the RV cool enough.

kerry

Awning Light Recept

You Don't Have To Have A Ladder To Plug In Your Lights, Just 0pen Your Bredroom Window.

Kerry

Hey guys I am reading about the a/c problem. we posted some stuff on a different thread under the general discussion area regarding this. it is under 3600RL in the driveway. I would try and link it if I could but I am no where near a computer guru. Check it out and if you feel like spending some time doing what he did it should help some. We haven't used it in really hot weather yet so no telling how much help it will be. Just a thought for everyone. I know it did help with heat.