Newbie here

My wife and I are considering the North Country 27BHS*.

I have tried to figure out the weight/maximum towing with % margins and have only gotten more confused.

The Dry weight for the North Country 27BHS is listed as 6,716 lbs. and a hitch weight of 751 lbs.
The GVWR is 10,400 lbs., which seems like a lot of cargo to me.

I have a 2003 Chevorlet Extended Cab 1500 4x4 with a 5.3L engine, and a 3.73 rear axle gear ratio.
According to the owners manual, my maximum towing capacity is 7,800 lbs. and the Maximum CGVW of 13,000 lbs.
The Truck has the optional Heavy Duty suspension, as well as a 8 wire hook-up harness.
I think it also has a transmission cooler, but I'm not certain.

My biggest concern is purchasing a Travel Trailer that is too large (weightwise) for my truck, which I feel the 27BHS is approaching that number.

Given the above numbers, I'm allowed 1,084 lbs. of cargo, water, etc...until the maximum is reached.

How much does the average amount of cargo weigh, for a weekend or the occasional week trip?
I understand the weight number can vary from person to person.

Most likely, I will travel with very little water in the tanks, since most of the places we camp at have fresh water hook-ups or a fresh water fill area on site.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate any advice or answers to my questions.

*we have only tent camped up until now.

Thanks,
Mike

jimtoo

Hi Mike,
First let me welcome you to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Family. I am sure you will get many answers to your questions.

From what I see, I think you would be fine. With a good WDHitch, proper distribution of weight, empty, or close to empty tanks, I don't think you would have a problem.

Jim M

We just picked our 27BHS up a few weeks ago!!!! Very nice coach. We are planning on a trial trip, one nighter to Newport Dunes next weekend. Then we are off to Mammoth Pools Reservoir for 8 days at the end of the month. Good times.

Last edited: