Are they sure DTV is best??

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well here we are in Melissa, TX. It is raining like a cow washing a flat rock.
The rain is so hard that the DirecTV is off or intermittent. I can’t get local channels here in the Dallas area on Sat. Got New York and Los Angeles but that doesn’t help. Weather there is no help here. Can’t get the Weather channel during a hard rain. Looking at local programs on the outdoor antenna I can still see the Analog channels but the Digital channels here are intermittent and mostly not during this weather.

What this tells me is, that in a dangerous weather situation, it looks like we are up the proverbial river without a paddle.

We are watching the President give his 100 day speech. It is blerping (that is a good word to) in and out. Clear video and good audio when it stays on. Over all the analog picture and sound is better than the Digital.
Oh well I guess it is getting closer to 1984 and our leaders know what is best.

Guess that is my 2¢ worth. Live long and prosper...:D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bobcat, One thing I've discovered critical to HDTV over the air is aiming the antenna. Before we bought the HDTV for the bedroom, our converter box had a signal meter. It was pretty cool because you could watch the meter as you turned the antenna for the best signal. Neither of my TV's has that feature so now I tune for the best analog picture and that usually works well for DTV. I have an older DVD recorder that I plan on hooking up the converter box to. Then I'll be able to tune it better. As you were also experiencing, our dish is pretty much useless in big storms.

Delaine and Lindy

Tuning the the HDTV dish is a must, and no question about that. However we have a Birdog for fine tuning and during heavy rains we still loose the HD side quicker than the none HD. We have had HD since 2005 or 2006 and have set the system up in most of the lower 48 and we also loose the weather channel during heavy storms. We do have a Weather radio and it has battery back-up and gives early warning of of severe storms. I was informed by a Direct-Tv tech that rain hitting dish is not the only cause of the system going out. I still Love the HD system. GBY...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ray.. I do the same thing. I try to turn the antenna to get in the best analog signal then the DTv is pretty good. But what do we do when Analog is gone?

Delanie
I don't have a birdog. What is it like and how do you use it? I guess it is for over the air signals. I also found out that even if it is not raining where I am and there is a storm coming in from the south the Directv will also loose the signal until the intense rain storm passes by.

We are not big on HD but I do like the Digital Signal better than the Analog when we can receive it well. I need to learn how to aim my batwing antenna to get better local signals. We don't have a Weather radio. I want to watch the storm so I know if it is moving over my area not just near where we are. May need to get something.

jbeletti

Some HDTV sets have a relative signal strength feature that displays on-screen. I have used it in the bedroom on the 19' Jensen when peaking out the bat-wing on the strongest digital signal possible. I suspect over time, most HDTV makers may add this feature.

Jim

We had cable in Lake George, NY last weekend and could not watch TV most of the time. Had to do channel searches numerous times to even find some snowy analogs. Hoping this is not a sign of the future...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've noticed that sometimes even on the home cable, the HD channels are like watching an old Godzilla movie. The lips are moving way out of sync with the sound.

Delaine and Lindy

Birdog...

TexBobcat, the Birdog is a piece of equipment used by installers to fine tune the Signal on Satellite dishes, the Birdog can be used on Direct Tv, Dish net, Hughes Net, and many other Satellite equipment. Google Birdog and you can see it there. GBY....

imchud

Now that we are all going digital, is there any thing you can add to boost the signal? or can you replace the antenna with a different kind that would pick up the signal better??? thanks

Tommy

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I am really glad to hear you all are having this problem. Well, not glad YOU are having the problem, :eek: but certainly glad to hear that it's just not me.

I thought it was my fault my HDTV would do all those fade in, fade out, lip sync out of a "B" movie during rain and storms. Now I find out it's not me its the signal.

It does make you wonder what happens this coming weekend when every station drops analog. Are we all in for spotty reception from now on?? Ah, yes, Big Brother at his finest!!

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
I added the digital antenna kit to my antenna that is carried at Camping world and it seems to help. They claim it increases UHF signals up to 100%. Cost was $26.00

Last edited:

nscaler2

Is it a conspiracy??

Call me crazy, but I think it is a conspiracy to force us to either use cable or satellite (and satellite is even bad in a storm). Out of the air HDTV sucks. It is either great of very very terrible. And a great deal of the time it is the later. Of course, off cable it is pretty good, as long as the cable company doesn't screw up. Anyway, I think it is their way of forcing us to have to pay for something we used to get for free.
Off my soapbox now!!:)

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Not a happy camper....

At least with the BR TV. We have an HDTV, bought it just for our new Big Horn, and I haven't been able to get anything but a weak signal, according to the DTV meter built in the Toshiba. I can get 4 out of 9 stations, and that is it. We moved the antenna, tried attaching the converter box, which we shouldn't have to use because of our new TV, and no success. Clues anyone? GOTTA love the way things are goin in our USA, huh?:eek:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
And so strikes another "sensible" innovation pushed upon us by our government. Not only did we have this thrust on us but many were forced to buy new TV's and digital signal boxes. The signal fades in and out badly and the sound does not sinc with the video. One of these days we will quit electing idiots that don't know what they are doing.

nemo45

Another thing make sure you're using RG6 coax connecting to the aerial, or even use the heavier sheilded stuff to cut down interference. But, during a thunder storm I don't think anything will help.