Air filter and exhaust system for Ford F-250

steveoona

We're new RVer's with a Ford F-250 Diesel and we need to pull an Eagle Ridge 35QSQB. I've been researching after-market air filters, exhaust systems, exhaust brakes, tuners, etc. I'm impressed with the Banks products, but I'm wondering if it's worth the expense. I'm looking for fuel economy and pulling power for the 5th wheel. I'm looking for a quality product at a reasonable price. Will the stock parts work fine or do I need to upgrade to an after-market system?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
steveoona, everybody has an opinion on the things that you mentioned. They all do what they were designed to do. But do you need them? Personal opinions. The air filters, exhaust systems and tuner, should give more torque and some extra mpg. I don't know how much fuel you will save, but get a ballpark figure, say 2 to 3 more mpg, and figure your investment cost verses fuel saved on miles traveled per year and you will get an idea on lenght of payback. As far as stock power for towing, no problems. I have a stock GMC with the 6.6 Duramax and could not be happier with it. You didn't state what model year you have, so adding a tuner could be a problem with warranty. I am sure others will weigh in with their opinions and advice.
Peace
Dave

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
We're new RVer's with a Ford F-250 Diesel

Above is your key. F o r d diesel is all you need. Designed with enough of everything you need. Air filters are over hyped and over priced, labor intensive to clean and etc. Same on all the banks products to me. Too much money for a few percentage points in power and hp and etc. However, if you are going in the mountains and actually need a few more hp & torque, go ahead and spend the money. I'm pulling a 2010 3670rl with a 2004 ford 250 diesel, plenty of power and etc. The way I look at it, if all the stuff you are asking about was needed on your ford, ford would have added it for you. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth. Pull your rv and then see if you really need to add anything.

boatdoc

You don't say what year but to be blunt, it doesn't matter on the air filter. Don't waste the money.They're all hype and don't give anything back no matter what the hotrodders say. Give us a year model and we'll help you more, it does matter what year.

jnbhobe

steveoona; I have a couple of 6.0 Fords and you should be fine stock. That said I've done a couple of things to mine,at the diesel stop.com search for zoodad modification.that works. I also have an MBRP turbo back exhaust w/o the cat. Only reason is because I can !! Easiest thing with a diesel is AIR IN & AIR OUT makes power so I'm told! JON :cool::cool::cool:

CrazyScotsman

I run my F350 stock, pulling the 3580. With just me in the truck and 3/4 tank of fuel grossing 22,560 lbs . My 6.0 does a good job, I'll be the first to admit that my fuel mileage sucks at times, ( I didn't buy the truck for fuel mileage ) but that's because I have 4:10 rear ends. Like the others say, don't waste your money, if you want to waste your money, I will PM my address and you can send it to me :)
Everyone is different, but as I say mine is stock, no telling what it will be after warranty runs out.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
We have a 2000 f-350 crew cab 4x4 7.3 power stroke. I installed the Edge tuner system, AFE air intake, And 4" MBRP exhaust. Wow! what a difference. We are towing a Big Country 3250TS. I bought everything from Extreme Deisel.com
they were very nice and helpful.

Mike Walker

Tom of Ypsi

Go to Thedieselstop.com and read to your hearts content on after market tuners, exhast, filters etc. Starting at around $1000 for a couple of miles per gallon better will take a long time to recoup your cost plus warranty issues on the truck. Stock should do just fine.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2006 F250 6.0 PSD. You did not tell us what you have or want to get.
The diesel will pull most of the 5th wheels by Heartland. What you need to be aware of is the amount of weight you will be putting in the bed of he truck. A F350 will handle more weight and a DRW will handle it even better. If your going to be pulling more than about 15,000# I would look at a F350 DRW.

The other thing that is important is can you stop the trailer your pulling. The DRW will carry more and should stop more. However the F250 should be good enough with no modifications.

Cyncwby

Again for what it's worth.....I have an '02 F-250 4X4 PSD. It ran pretty good when I purchased it new but I needed a little more to pull my 28' horse trailer. I installed a K&N filter and ran it on a chassis dyno at Superior Auto in Anaheim. With the stock filter it put out 205 hp @ 3300 rpm....with the K&N it put out 214 hp @ 3300. So are they worth it, well yes....if you drive around @ 3300 rpm. I did install a 3.5" downpipe with a 4" exhaust and muffler to get ready for the chip.

I did a lot of research and ended up buying a BD computer chip. They had them in 60, 80 and 100 hp. I bought the 60 hp/110 lbs. ft. of torque "tow" chip obviously, they said the 80 hp chip would be marginal with a light load and forget the 100 hp chip, way too hot.

Anyway, 8 yrs', 100k miles later and NO problems. I also added a set of Banks boost and pyro gauges, I watch the pyro constantly. Don't do any modifications without at least a pyro, good indicator of how your engine is running.

The truck was like night and day, BD doesn't claim any mileage increase and I really didn't see any either but it sure made pulling hills a lot easier and generally just more pleasureable to drive. Enjoy it whichever route you take......Dave

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
an answer on filters and such

Everyone has an opinion and many are great. As far as I am concerned I made my truck to pull and that is all it does day after day after day. Everything from construction equipment to my 3580RL. It is a 2000 PSD 7.3 Super Duty F250 and here is what is on it and why I did it. I put the beefy transmission and double oversized coolers in it for obvious reasons (I ripped the old tranny out pulling a grade.) I put a oil bypass system on it and change the oil only when recommended by the lab that tests it. I have a K&N filter system along with a 5" exhaust from the turbo out. I removed the old 4 wheel drive lockouts and installed Warn. I replaced the front wheel bearings and knuckles with timkins. I installed the Firestone air suspensions and also installed a class IV hitch underneath. I have a rail system in the bed that I put my 5th wheel and/or goose neck mounts on. I put grease fitting on all universal joints and run 10 ply tread and 6 ply sidewall tires. I have installed a Diablo chip with 80 HP. All and all I really don't notice much improvement in milage (I get average 15.4 which is mostly loads but has some non loads in there.) IF you put in an air filter system it will do no good unless the added air can get out. It will only take in what it can spit out, so a larger exhaust is required if you want the full effect. I have one truck that is stock and it can not even compete with the puller. This is one truck that will outpull most and does often. Stopping, well that's another topic all together........Russ

lwmcguir

Everyone has an opinion and many are great. As far as I am concerned I made my truck to pull and that is all it does day after day after day. Everything from construction equipment to my 3580RL. It is a 2000 PSD 7.3 Super Duty F250 and here is what is on it and why I did it. I put the beefy transmission and double oversized coolers in it for obvious reasons (I ripped the old tranny out pulling a grade.) I put a oil bypass system on it and change the oil only when recommended by the lab that tests it. I have a K&N filter system along with a 5" exhaust from the turbo out. I removed the old 4 wheel drive lockouts and installed Warn. I replaced the front wheel bearings and knuckles with timkins. I installed the Firestone air suspensions and also installed a class IV hitch underneath. I have a rail system in the bed that I put my 5th wheel and/or goose neck mounts on. I put grease fitting on all universal joints and run 10 ply tread and 6 ply sidewall tires. I have installed a Diablo chip with 80 HP. All and all I really don't notice much improvement in milage (I get average 15.4 which is mostly loads but has some non loads in there.) IF you put in an air filter system it will do no good unless the added air can get out. It will only take in what it can spit out, so a larger exhaust is required if you want the full effect. I have one truck that is stock and it can not even compete with the puller. This is one truck that will outpull most and does often. Stopping, well that's another topic all together........Russ
Curious as to what tires you are running?

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
tires I run

10 ply tread, 6 ply sidewall TOYO.........best on the market; but, very spendy. Powerstrokes are notorious for wear on tires due to weight.

Russ

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Guages

Now on my 5er puller I am installing a transmission temp and a pyrometer for exhaust on long grades. I really think the best item to add is an oversized tranny cooler............never fails you! PROMISE!!!!!!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
HP vs Torque

Remember it is NOT horsepower that pulls, it is torque. If it was horsepower a 500 horsepower corvette would outpull your 235 hp deisel without a problem. I would put my deisel up against any gasser, anytime and never worry! 7.3 PSDs have stock I think about 435 ft/lbs and a long haul tractor about 1200 ft/lbs. My F250 set up has 865 ft/lbs and I love it. A spendy truck that will pull anything.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
10 ply tread, 6 ply sidewall TOYO.........best on the market; but, very spendy. Powerstrokes are notorious for wear on tires due to weight.

Russ

I would get 50000-65000 miles on each set of Michelin tires on my 99 Ford Powerstroke. Happy with that.:)

thomasinnv

really need to know what year truck and auto or manual tranny to give an accurate answer. i have a 2000 psd with a homemade tymar intake (about $80) and stock exhaust with muffler removed. just those two items lowered my exhaust temps by about 200 deg. lower exhaust temps and keeping the auto trans cool are your two biggest things you could possibly do when towing heavy. if you have the 4r100, baby that sucker because it WILL break. not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

JWG

I agree with the post by JNPHOBE... Air in, air out... I purchased the MBRP turbo back exhaust w/o the cat, and added the ACDelco "High Velocity" air filter. I recently ran across an unbiased lab test that showed this filter outperformed all the after market filters, both in airflow and filtration...

At 65 mph, on fairly level roads, in good weather conditions, I get about 9.5 to 10.0 mpg with no power issues at all (e.g. passing slower traffic, pulling hills, etc.)...

I guess the chip/tuner would provide additional horsepower and torque, and I would consider investing in one if I was consistently traveling in the mountains. However, one thing to keep in mind is the chip/tuner can increase your exhaust gas temperatures to dangerous levels when pulling hard up hills or mountains. Adding the aftermarket exhaust and increased airflow helps with this, but to be sure you don't damage your turbo you would need to also add additional gauges to monitor such things as Exhaust Temp. and Turbo Pressure...

When I went through this evaluation myself it seemed the more you added the more you needed to add resulting in a lot of expense for not much benefit... For me, increasing the air flow in and out, adding airbags for leveling purposes, and leaving everything else stock has worked great...

jnbhobe

Hey Guys, A little update here. I have changed my gears from 3.73 to 4.30. what a difference !! I can cruise at 65-70 in OD hardly ever shifts down. Just came fom Erie,Pa. to Branson, Mo. averaged 10 1/2 - 11 mpg. Jon :cool: :cool: :cool: