Wet Dual Panes

talley

We have dual pane windows and are sold on the benefits. However, recently noticed the sliding portion of the window in the dining slideout is "foggy". There is a good amount of moisture between the panes. Has anyone had experience with this problem? Any fixes/methods to remove the moisture.:confused:

I have read on other post that these dual pane windows are not gas filled, just dead air space between the panes.

We have had the BH for over two years... warranty period is over.

Thanks, Jerry

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Since they are not Thermopanes and there's no gas charge why not try to take them apart to clean the glass. Hopefully someone will chime in who has tried it.

Okay - first, get a utility knifewith a brand-new and very sharp blade (preferably beak-away style since they usually have slightly thinner blades)and isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle (the alcohol in the bottle, not the knife).
Wear gloves - nice thick, cut-resistant, gloves - but not so thick that they resist movement.
Spray alcohol liberally along the edge of the spacer and draw the knife along the edge of the glass where it meets the spacer.
Don't try to cut thru on the first draw. Be patient and simply keep drawing the blade in the same spot until it eventually cuts thru the material.
It isn't that hard if you are patient. Again, don't try to cut all the way thru on the first swipe and use plenty of alcohol to soften the "rubber" material as you are cutting thru it. Once the knife breaks thru, then it is usually relatively easy to simply drag it along the edge of the spacer all the way around. If it gets stuck use the alcohol to lubricate and soften the material.

jpmorgan37

I had this happen once in the three years that we've had our Landmark. We went to Canada and the temperature and altitude difference was pretty severe. For the first few days we were there, we had several of our windows "fog up" between the panes. It cleared up in several days and we haven't seen it since. I don't know if this is the same as you are experiencing, but I would give it a chance to clear itself, if it just happened.

John

talley

Replacement may well be the only fix and we are prepared... but being retired with time on my hands we will see what "handyman fixes" develop from the forum. We are on the Texas Gulf Coast and humidity may have played a role. We will be going to Goshen for the Rally and will see if any change is brought about. If the condition continues, I seem to remember a technique which involved heating the window with the objective of "baking" the moisture out from the dual panes. I am thinking about placing the window assemble under an infrared light and perhaps drilling a hole in the frame or seal. I have not removed the sliding window assembly from the window frame and do not know how difficult taking the dual pane window apart would be. But, if nothing else works... I am willing. Hopefully someone who has tried some of these "fixes" will weight-in on how successful they are.

Thanks, Jerry

jbeletti

Jerry,

Consider contacting the window manufacturer for some guidance on this. It's worth a shot.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ok I am curious. Once you get the panes apart, how do you put them back together?

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I am actually in the glass business.

Any type of moisture getting inside the unit, means there has been a seal failure.
You try to bake it out, but with the failure, you have essentially lost the r factor of the unit. You still have 2 panes, but it is like the old storm windows in homes.

I am unaware of how rv units are made, but with residential units there are a couple of different process', but most include some type of pressure and/or heat. As for the sealant, there are several different types, but the idea with pressure and heat is to bake the moisture out so once it seals, you are good for 10+ years (most warranties). As far as gas filled...... DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY, it is a non-value added step and yields you nothing.

jbeletti

Great info Mark. Thank you for sharing. RV dual pane windows, to the best of my knowledge are only that - dual pane. No gas. My guess is a seal breach. Perhaps a hair dryer or heat gun could bake the moisture out? Then seal with clear silicone rubber? Dunno.

talley

Thanks all for the input. Jim... that is my current leanings, bake it out (probably infrared) and seal with silicone; unless a proven successful fix appears. I will contact mfg and see what they say. Probably find out what a replacement costs:(. No rush right now as long as it doesn't turn green:D..... the foggy window is at the dining table and blinds stay down.

Jerry

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
You might find you have a warrranty on that seal.
Let us know what you come up with.

JBTAZ

My neighbor had the same problem. It was one of the larger windows. We took a hair dryer and working on the inside of the unit,slowly started heating the glass away from the moisture and working towards it. Once the moisture was gone we continued to heat around the frame for a little while. So far it hasn't happened again. Been two months. Worth a shot. Good luck.

talley

Thanks for all the suggestions.... but my vote goes with grizzlygiant; his observation - "Replace is only repair":(

Yesterday I took a closer look at the sliding window pane. There was moisture between the panes. Additionally, there appeared to be mineral deposit on the interior of the outermost pane. I pulled out my trusty Dremel and drilled two holes in the seal between the two panes. With this access I found the deposit to be hard and not easly removed. I don't know how long or what the source of the moisture was. Bottom line the glass pane would have to be disassembled and cleaned (if possible) and reassembled... not reasonable repair:mad:.

Will be looking for replacement in near future.

Sliding glass (dual pane) replacement will cost about $75 - DIY pricing. Instructions on Hehr website under RV windows Service Manuals. Just what I need... another project :) Seems there was more free time before I retired.

Thanks, Jerry

Last edited: