Wet Bolts for Springs

boatdoc

Well my new springs should be here any day and thought I'd do the wet bolt deal. Have any of you done it and is there a kit with just the bolts and brass bushings or do you have to buy the whole "wet bolt kit" that includes the stock looking rocker thing that trail air has replaced for all of us? Do you just order all the bolts and bushings seperate? What have you guys done?
Thanks, Flatspring boatdoc (Gary)

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Did my wet bolt kit the other week. Purchased the kit from Mor-ryde, however the pieces they provided did not fit. Had to machine new sleeves for the center section and press in the bushings. The original part were close to failure, so keep an eye on your sleeves and shackles.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
OK I'll be the dummy that asks. :eek:

What is a wet bolt system? What is the advantage to it over the regular way of attaching the springs?
Kristy

lhetsler

Wet Bolt

A wet bolt system has grease zerks in the end on the bolt and allows one to grease the articulation more easily.

SmokeyBare

In fact the Wet Bolt Kit should provide a bit more...

Stronger Shackles... thicker than the Original ones... should last longer.

Bronze bushing... in place of the plastic bushing... should last longer.

Grease fitting on Bolt... original bolt does not provide any way to lubricate the bushing.

Marv

SmokeyBare

I'll give ya that... but they are plastic... and they become worn and flatten out on the bottom where the bolts press the weight of the RV down... along with the movement of the bolt as you drive about.

Marv :)

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Actually the plastic bushing would not be bad if it was made with thicker wall material. The wall thickness is so thin that the plastic wears quickly and you have a metal to metal condition that is not lubricated. Then the wear point is where the bolt and shackle meet. Since this point is not intended to be a point for movement, the shackles wear quickly and fail. It is amazing how thin the shackles and plastic bushings are for all the weight they need to support. The wet bolt kit is a "must do" in my book. :)

ct0218

Our previous SOB had the plastic bushings and they were completely worn out (read half gone) in a couple thousand miles. They were replaced with a Dexter wet bolt kit and towed it another 16K miles and they looked new when we sold it. My Landmark has wet bolts, but if it didn't that is one thing I would switch out right away.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
they are plastic and dont need lube

driver311NoneNone
driver311, take a look at the first post on this thread. These shackles had plastic sleeves and didn't need lube?
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9091&highlight=shackles&page=3
I suppose a guy could just insert a wet bolt into a plastic sleeve and it may work for a while but the bronze bushing will last much longer than plastic. Plastic can't withstand the weight and motion of these trailers.