Water Softener System

cjbearden

Visitor
We think we need a water softener system and wonder what others are using. We currently have a three-filter water system but because of water spotting/scaling; we think we should also add a water softener device. Notice people in the Elkhart Campground using them and we are beginning to see why. This might have helped some of the water spotting problems we were having in the Coastal Bend during the winter. If we can get this water problem solved, we might be able to return to Coastal Bend in the future.

Camping World has three different ones (one is an internet special we were thinking about) http://www.campingworld.com/search/...de+matchallpartial&Ntk=p_keyword&Nty=1&Ntpc=1

Does anyone use any of these devices like CW sells or can you recommend another type of portable softener unit that is easily regenerated. Appreciate any and all input on this one.

C.J.

grizzlygiant

I used the one on sale for $257. It worked fine. There was about a 5# water pressure drop. Charging was a little messy but one charge lasted a LONG time. Don't forget that you should drink unsoftened (hard) water if you are on a low salt diet.

linuxkidd

Hey guys,
I picked up this unit from camping world about 2 months ago. I've regenerated the unit twice without much problem.

The CG I call home most of the time uses well water and it's VERY hard. The test strips go up to 500ppm I think, and the water tested at the next level down ( 250ppm ). After adding this softener, the hardness dropped to 0ppm! We could tell an immediate difference in the water taste and feel. Just couldn't believe it.

When I hooked it up, Loup ( my wife ) had a glass of water from before that we had originally thought tasted fine. So, I poured us both a new glass and sampled it. It tasted.. for lack of a better term... smooth... VERY smooth. Then we both sampled the original water and could instantly taste the metal in it... It tasted horrible after having tasted the softened water. Also, Loup makes tea all the time... Before the softener, she'd have to throw out 1/2 the pitcher of tea because before she could drink it all, the tea had turned a nasty green color... That has also been corrected with the softener.

In the shower, the water spots are all but gone. We use about 1/2 the soap we used before, and about 1/4 the laundry detergent. The clothes feel softer and our skin no longer feels itchy and dry.

I realize all this sounds too good to be true, and I didn't believe it myself until we started using this softener... It really is an amazing change.

This unit came with a funnel for adding the salt, test strips, and the softener itself. Here is a link to the operation/regeneration instructions.

The one thing that I wish had been done different: If they had set the salt port up so that the threads were on the outside, then it would be perfect. As it is, salt powder gets into the threads of the salt port and needs to be cleaned out a bit before inserting the stopper again. Even then, I need to use channel locks to tighten the salt port stopper enough that it doesn't leak. But, aside from that, it's great!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
LK

Last edited:

cjbearden

Visitor
Thanks, grizzlygiant, we have decided to order the CW Internet special. Apparently, Elkhart city water is currently experiencing a "red bloom" (don't ask me, I just visit here!) and local folks say don't drink the water and I believe them. They think the flooding has caused the occurrence of the "red" problem to be earlier this year.

Icemaker is off until the water softener arrives.

Boatdoc and Linuxkidd thanks also for your information. Appreciate the link LK. Will post our experience after we get the unit online!

jimtoo

Water Softeners, which one?

I just put a water softener in my home and really like it. Now I want one for the RV. I am looking at the ones I have listed below. Please give me your vote or opinion on these.
<o></o>
1, http://www.tweetys.com/watersoftner.aspx
<o></o>
2. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-water-softener/34619 <o></o>

3. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-water-softener-conditioner/6848 <o></o>

I am not asking about the seller here or price, but the water softener unit itself and performance. I do not necessarily need the most expensive unit, but would like one that will do a decent job. If you have one or if you have some other suggestion as to a decent unit, please let me know.
<o></o>
Thanks
Jim M

boatdoc

Hey Jim, Check out Interstate Water Systems in Yuma. We bought their's last winter and are real happy with it. Very easy to recharge with a pound of table salt, Walmart $.32.
We spend 6-8 weeks accross the river from QZ, the water is hard as it gets and this thing really does well for us.
Gary

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, we have the catalog item #34619 from camping world. I think JB has that one as well. And like Gary said above, it uses one pound of table salt to regenerate. So far we like it. I can't say anything about the other two you have listed.
Peace
Dave

Niles

Jim, we have choice #2, I really like the simple features of it. once a week or so just take the cap off and pour a lb of table salt in and regenerate. I also think Pulltab has this one. I also like that it comes from Fort Wayne, IN. Hoosiers gotta stick together, cause most people don't know what one is.:D Good luck in your choice.

cjbearden

Visitor
Jim,

We have ordered #3. Expect it to arrive tomorrow. Will post our experience after it is installed and running.

Get JimB to tell you about his experience with #2 after thinking he had winterized!!!

Our Camping World water softener is now installed. Yes, there is a difference in the water - taste is better but haven't tested the use of soap yet.

C.J.

Attachments

• WaterSoftenerFilters 002.jpg
    WaterSoftenerFilters 002.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited: