Halftime and AC

enthuz

I'm a Heartland newbie so I'm concerned. I keep reading here about not being able to run the oven/microwave and the AC at the same time. Is this true for all models and years? Is there a way to eliminate that limitation? I haven't experienced it with Jaycos.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That type of problem should only occur if you are hooked up to 30 Amp service. If you're on 50 Amp, you will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyKayakers

We have an '06 BH. When hooked up to 50 amp, we're able to run the AC, water heater (on electric) and half time oven without problem. We DID kill an outside breaker one morning when we added the fireplace!

lhetsler

Running A/C and Microwave

I have a 3670 Bighorn and camp ofter in Pensacola FL. I have used A/C, microwave, electric hot water heater and have never had an issue. Not sure where you found this, but maybe some were using 30 amp campgrounds.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When using 30 amp you have to be careful what you turn on all at once. Example: You probably cannot run 2 AC's at once. If you run the fridge and water heater on Propane then you may get away with the microwave and AC on at same time. There are charts (some campgrounds have them) that will tell you how many amps each device will draw. If you add them up you will be able to tell what you can have on at once. Hair dryers and toasters use alot of amps.

techman

It pains me deeply to say this but it is true ON SOME MODELS. The North Trail and Sundance models come with 30 AMP service. I have read about this happening to others (http://www.northtrailtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1005) and had it occur to us this past weekend. It was a surprise but certainly not a problem. Just turn off the A/C for the few minutes you run the microwave. I may look into adding a separate breaker for this but for now it is not an issue. I think all Heartland models are RVIA certified so I feel safe with the way the wiring exists. You may want to check the specs on the model you are considering because not all Heartland models come with 50 AMP service.
Mike

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is normal for most 30A RV's. Heartland or SOB. Our previous SOB was a 30A. We could not use two electric heaters, TV, Electric WH, coffee pot. Isn't that what we normally would run on a cold morning. Throw in the MW to heat up something to eat and you in the dark.

I put a electrical receptacle in the living room close to the kitchen, ran #12AWG 2W/G into the basement. I took a hole saw and drilled a hole in the side of the trailer that led into the basement. I put a cover over the hole like the one that is used for the shore power cable. In the basement I put in a junction box, a receptacle box and 15A Receptacle. I took the wire from inside the trailer, pulled it into the junction box, pull a wire to the basement receptacle box then pulled a wire out of the junction box and put on a male 20amp plug on the wire. I bought a 25ft #12awg 20amp extension cord. Plug it into the shore 20amp plug, push it through the opening into the basement and plug it into the male plug. Now I have a dedicated 20amp or 15am circuit depending on the shore breaker, directly into the trailer for a heater. Now you can have two heaters, coffee maker, tv and the microwave in most cases.
BC

GaryA

I have a 2008 North Trails 31 QBS and we had the same problem with our AC and half time oven. The dealer said we need to shut off the AC when we use the oven. Not a big deal, except when we want to cook something for like 1/2 hour during the summer when we really need the AC. My father-in-law has a 36 ft Winnebago with 2 AC units. It has a some type of fancy system that will shut down one or both of the units automatically when the oven is used and then will turn it back on automatically.

irvin56

Bobcat

Thanks for the tip. that's a great idea.
Have to add that on mine for sure.
I always carry a large amp ext. cord anyway. now I can use it for something usefull

caokgafamily

Use this to solve the 50amp problem at a site with only 30amp.

Cheater box...

Attachments

• Cheater_Box.jpg
    Cheater_Box.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 27

TXBobcat

Fulltime
TXBobcat,

Please post pics of this mod please.

I wish I could post pictures, but this was on my previous 5th wheel that used a 30A circuit.. I now have a HL Bighorn 3400RE which is 50A..

If your intrested PM me and I will get you a little drawing that might help.
BC

Netem

I have a Sundance with 30 amp and have never had a problem running the A/C and the micro at the same time. Now if the DW turns on the hair dryer or the hot water is on electric at the same time as the A/C and micro your over the 30 amp. Just let your A/C run and turn on the other big amp users one at a time.

irvin56

here you go

Thread: more than 30 amps needed?!?!
View Single Post #19
post_old.gif
05-11-2009, 02:40 PM
creecher
user_offline.gif

Heartland Company Representative

icon1.gif

I just went out to our factory and tried to trip the breaker myself....I had the A/C on and started the microwave, everything was fine......I then reversed the action, I had the micro on and then started the A/C again eveything was good...... I had some lights on at the same time........ I would say this, if the A/C- Mirco- electric water heater - and refer were all running at the same time, which is basically everything electric in the unit, you probably will trip the breaker......but if you are truly popping breakers with just the A/C and Micro then there is a possiblity that the main breaker is not up to standard....( my production manager has seen a weaker main breaker before...... When the units come down the line, the A/C is on and the micro is turned on and the lights are on.....The refer is on with Gas only to make sure the gas is not leaking and the water heater is not turned on electric, only gas because we don't fill the water heater and you will burn the electric heating rod up if there isn't any water in the tank.......

creecherView Public ProfileSend a private message to creecherFind all posts by creecherAdd creecher to Your Buddy List

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One consideration that has not been mentioned is the capability of the RV electric box. Just because there is a 30 amp breaker in the box the the campground says it is 30 amp does not make it so. I have been in campground that have sorry electricity and had tripped the 30 amp breaker when just using the AC or microwave without anything else on. The campground changed out the 30 amp breaker and things worked fine. Do not necessarily blame the coach until you have ruled out the pedestal.

enthuz

Thanks Irvin56 for the post. That makes me feel a little better.

Jim, that is something to consider. I ran into that in PA at a newly added area of a Yogi. They had it repaired and no more problems on later visits.