Hot Water Heater...not heating 100%....brrrrrrrr

Campdmg

We have found ourselves suddently taking lukewarm to room temperature showers.

The water heater in our 2008 Big Horn 3670RL doesn't seem to be working right. So far, we've:

1. Checked the bypass switches: all are in the correct position
  2. Checked the on/off switch on the control panel inside: it's on
  3. Tightened the new anode rod recently "self-installed"...we noticed that was dripping, thought maybe that was the cause...tightening did improve the heat...but.....
Any ideas? There is nothing in any of our literature that is helpful.

As usual...thanks to anyone with a thought on the matter!

~Michael Guest

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Check to see if the button on the shower head is on and the shower faucets are turned off. We had this happen to us once.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
How about the on/off switch outside in the HWH compartment? Both it and the inside switch have to be on to get the electric heater working. Also, have you tried using the propane heater?

Niles

TXBobcat is talking about the outside shower, we had some work done at the dealer and had lukewarm water after the work. Made our self's silly trying to find the problem, called dealer and he said oops, check the outside shower. they had it on and forgot to shut it off, it allows the water to flow though and thus lukewarm showers.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
TXBobcat is talking about the outside shower, we had some work done at the dealer and had lukewarm water after the work. Made our self's silly trying to find the problem, called dealer and he said oops, check the outside shower. they had it on and forgot to shut it off, it allows the water to flow though and thus lukewarm showers.

Nope !!! But that is also true. I was speaking of the inside shower. One day when I finally decided to take my yearly shower (almost missed it). When I finished I pressed the button on the shower head. Got out and dried off, wiped down the shower and checked DW our. Any way..

The next day we went to wash dishes and the water was luke warm. Couldn't figure what happened. Called our dealer and he said to check the shower faucets and see if I had left them on. Turned the faucets off and guess what.. The water got hot. It seems if you leave the faucets on it the water circulates thought the water heater and will not get hot.

Check it out. Who knows it might fix your problem..

Niles

Sorry TXBobcat, guess I didn't know that about the inside shower, just knew from experience about the outside. Guess I was assuming and you know what that does.None

TXBobcat

Fulltime
No problem.. each of us learn from experience. No contest. Just giving what little I know. The nice thing about this forum is we ALL learn from each other. It would be a real PITA if we all had to learn from the beginning. Everything is cool and even..
BC

Rickhansen

Related, but does not explain your symptoms... FWIW though.

There are two "clicks-on" temperature controls mounted against the side of the water heater tank. One device makes and breaks based on tank temperature. The other one is a manual reset (push a little tab in) high-limit.

I had a Travel Trailer several years ago (Smaller but same Suburban Water Heater) that had some corrosion between the temperature control "clicks-on" and the tank surface. The result was the heater would come on, and continue to heat until the high-limit would trip and shut everything down.

This is sort of the opposite scenario from yours.

I think I'd verify the the water heater operation (Cycles on and off, and at what temperatures?), proper flame (no mud daubers), and re-verify the bypass valve is closing and not leaking through.