Goodyear Marathon Tires ?

caokgafamily

Has anybody heard anything good about the Goodyear Marathon Tires ?
A friend of mine has them on his new Montana, yes there made in china.
They are about $129 per tire, thats alot cheaper than the $235 for G614. They have something called scuff guard for the sidewall. If the sidewall is better I think that would help with some of our tire probs? I don't like the looks of my loadstar, I'm starting to see more cracks, even on the tread. I think I hit a curb a couple of times this didn't help. So I wonder even those these Marathon are made in china could the QC be better because they are Goodyear?
235/80/16,
07 3400RL.

Thanks,
Steve

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I recently purchased a set of (7) tires for my Chevy. Bought them at Sears. Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Pro Grade, Load E, 10 ply - made in USA! :) Cost more than the Marathon tire you are quoting, just a little under the G614. I paid $1551 for 7 of them - mounted, balanced, new stems, road hazard, everything. Cheaper than the quote I had gotten from Goodyear store. Very pleased with them so far, and they are definitely the 'quietest' tire I've ever had on this truck.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
HT, how did the LR "E" tire affect the overall ride while not towing? I'm close to needing tires and the truck calls for "D" but "E's" are more readily available. A bit cheaper too.

Steve, I think the Marathons, even though China made, are up to Goodyears specs. The other positive thing is Goodyear will stand behind them.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
With the one-ton having the stiffest suspension I've ever had, these tires are hands-down the smoothest ride so far. I had always bought real aggressive tread for my non-pavement travels with the job. These are touted as excellent in mud and snow, too. In every review I read, especially the ones from actual owners, not just someone writing an article - they all loved them. After getting a set, I can see why. 50k miles warranty also. Based on my short experience with them thus far, I can certainly see myself purchasing another set - almost 50,000 miles from now! :)

Ray LeTourneau

With the one-ton having the stiffest suspension I've ever had, these tires are hands-down the smoothest ride so far. I had always bought real aggressive tread for my non-pavement travels with the job. These are touted as excellent in mud and snow, too. In every review I read, especially the ones from actual owners, not just someone writing an article - they all loved them. After getting a set, I can see why. 50k miles warranty also. Based on my short experience with them thus far, I can certainly see myself purchasing another set - almost 50,000 miles from now! :)
Thanks for the report HT. That's good to hear.

deee2

We are on a month's 'vacation', met up with friends from another state. We were supposed to be together for the whole month, but they had a blow out a couple days ago. Did some damage to the fifth wheel, and really shook them up. Their Goodyear Marathons are only 2 years old, made in china. They had been promised USA made tires when they were put on, and now their dealer is replacing all the China marathons with USA made Marathons. One difference is the company told them the China ones are considered 'budget' tires to be sold from discount places, and the USA ones aren't. Also... the China ones are five ply, the USA ones are six ply. Needless to say, not only are our friends upset about the blowout... so are we!! We are missing them! And by the way, they had to go have the rest of the tires tested by Goodyear to make sure they were not underinflated, or damaged in any way.... and they are fine. Yet this tire just came apart on the road. Best of luck to you all no matter what tires you have, we all need it! :)

Cyncwby

Heres a different perspective, as we know the Marathons WERE made in the good old USA and were a good tire but now made in China. When I bought my new pontoon boat trailer I wanted Marathons on it. I found a guy near me that had 2 with 700 miles on them (jet ski trailer) one was made in New Zealand and the other in Canada. I then had to buy the other 3 from Discount Tire, all made in China. After hearing all the bad press about the China Marathons I ended up buying the extended warranty for $13 each.

As for Goodyear standing behind them? Well the Canada tire got a sidewall seperation, looked like someones finger under the rubber running from the tread down toward the wheel. I called my local Goodyear dealer and told him the symptoms, first thing he said..."curb impact, it isn't covered" I told him it's on the inside of the wheel, can't hit the curb. .didn't matter....."curb impact" PERIOD!!! Luckily I was informed of a Goodyear commercial dealer not to far away and he took care of it for me. When he saw the tire he said "f------- Marathons"

Because of this I am extremely watchful of the tire pressure, as you should be anyway. If I were in the market for 5th wheel tires I would get either the Michelin XPS or the Goodyear G114, depending on the weight rating of the coach. I know they are expensive but you really can't cut costs on an item that is so important, good luck on whichever you choose......Dave

jpmorgan37

The Goodyear G114 is an excellent truck tire, but Goodyear recommends the G614RST for G rated RV use.

John

Cyncwby

Sorry, my error, the G614 was the tire I meant. Do you guys think that would be too much tire for a 3055RL? It's either that or the Mich XPS.

grizzlygiant

I put G614's on my BH 3400 the day I took delivery. I sold the BH and bought a new Sundance. I put G614's on it. Overkill???? Maybe but I have peace of mind.

jpmorgan37

The rims on your 3055RL are probably E rated. (you should see that cast into the inside of your rims) If that's the case, you can still use the G614RST, but don't inflate them over the maximum for the rims. The tires will perform well at the 80 psi and certainly give you a good sense of security for a quality RV tire. We have a lot of members running the Michelin XPS, E rated tires with excellent results. I love my Goodyears, but either would be a good choice. Just my opinion.

John

grizzlygiant

If you have aluminum wheels I believe they will be rated at 120# (but check yours to be sure). And don't forget to add steel valve stems (about $5 each --many dealers will not charge). Many a tire failure is caused by a stem failure.

caokgafamily

I looked on the inside of my 07 3400 rim, I couldn't find anything that had a "G" stamp. I did find a stamp that read 110 psi and I think it read 3900 lb max ?

Ray LeTourneau

Steve, the wheels you gave the numbers on are suitable for a load range G tire. I'm not familiar with the BFG commercial tire. You could ask a dealer or check teh BFG website for info as to weather they would be suitable for trailer use and if they are available in the size you need.