Springs, Springs?

Mariposa

Stopped for the night at Texarkana, TX. Found spring troubles on my Big Horn 3400RL. Got the parts(new springs) today and will have it fixed on Monday. Any way that is the plan.
The old springs are rated at 2440 lbs, each. They are 4 leaves and not big enough. Once I found the parts today, the fix should be easy.
Bob

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Stopped for the night at Texarkana, TX. Found spring troubles on my Big Horn 3400RL. Got the parts(new springs) today and will have it fixed on Monday. Any way that is the plan.
The old springs are rated at 2440 lbs, each. They are 4 leaves and not big enough. Once I found the parts today, the fix should be easy.
Bob
Bob, where did you get the info that your old springs were rated for 2440#? It sounds a bit odd that "they" would put 2 springs at that rating on a 6000# axle. I'll have to check tomorrow, but I think mine have 5 leaves.

Mariposa

spring rating?

The ratings was a guess, from Kris Dale at Quality Tralier products at Mt Pleasant, TX, based on the photos I took. My 3400RL has 4 leaves. The replacement has 6 leaves. Should be better. Quality Trailer people seem shocked that a big 5'er would only have 4 leaves on the springs. It does seem strange that they would be on a 6000 lbs axles. The new ones don't cost much. Not looking for Hartland assistance. As far as I can tell nothing else is broken. We have about 5 miles to the shop when move for repairs

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I just looked at mine and I have 4 leaves as well. I have a pretty good feeling though, that the thickness of the leaves has a lot to do with the rating. We recently had a forum with a Mor-ryde rep that cautioned us against too heavy of a spring. Too stiff of a suspension is almost as bad as too soft. I'm no expert but it sounds logical. I'm sure your trailer service place knows what they're doing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My 6k axles had 4 leaves. My 7k axles have 5 leaves.
Changing to Mor/Ryde IS for an 7k equivalent.