electric slide - not...

Jim & Harriet

this weekend was our third trip with our 2009 sundance 3300sk. we bought it in november so it is still "brand new."

when we tried to extend the "sofa and dining table" slide using the electric switch - it would not work. we used the hand crank and it worked fine. just wondered if anyone had a similar issue and what the repar-time was?

thanks for any info.

jbeletti

Please also give Heartland Customer Service a call on Monday morning at 877-262-8032. They too may have some ideas for you on what to check.

charlie51

Not sure about you set up, but might want to check your battery on the trailer. A friend of mine went camping and tried to let out the slide and nothing happened. It runs off his battery and the battery was bad.:confused:

fljlcw

the slide out switch was bad on our BH
first time out Heartland overnighted me one and I changed it no problem great company but check your fuses first I think theres one inline some where in

battery comp. but I could be wrong

Fred

Jim & Harriet

thanks

jim: we will call the 1-800 # tomorrow. we were just happy that the hand crank worked well. had friends with us (rv-ers also) who were amazed that we have that option. they had friends who had a similar issue (another comany's product) and it was very bad - no override method on theirs. there is a camping world in our town - they may do heartland warrenty work. if not, we will take it to our original dealer. (they are great but it is a two hour drive...)

charlie: we were running off electric power, but thanks for the suggestion.

fred: good to know that the heartland response was quick. we tried swapping with the switch that runs the other, working, slide - it did not fix the problem. also, from what we saw in the pannel, all the fuses, and circuit breakers, were ok.

appreciate all the help. it's great to know you are all there ...

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim & Harriet, after reading your most recent post, it sounds as if there may be a wire disconnected somewhere. I'm betting down under by the motor.

Jim & Harriet

slide problem

hi ray,
that's what we are thinking too. everything else electircal is working so we hope it is a minor "fix."
we will let you know.

Peteandsharon

Jim,

I haven't tried this with my Bighorn but with a previous unit, it didn't matter that you were hooked up to 120V power. If you didn't have a battery in line, the slide did not work.

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
We once had the wire connected to the motor pump just slightly loose.

We found it by having the wife push on the switch as I moved the different wires, I located the loose wire and tightened it. Slides worked fine after that.

Jim & Harriet

battery and slide

pete - because everything else on power is working, we think the battery is ok. but we will check again.

rvfullt - we will try the wire wiggle... :)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Jim,

I'm having an intermittent similar problem with extending the front jacks. No problem retracting. If I "wiggle" the wiring harness behind the switch, it will work, so I'm pretty sure it's a loose wire. Just haven't had a chance to take the switch apart yet.

Jim & Harriet

slide problem

hi all,
first, westxsrt - yup - checked the breakers and fuses - all seem ok.

now ther rest of the slide story - so far...
first thing this morning we called heartland, they were very nice and said, yes, that the campingworld here in roanoke, va would be ok for us to take the sundance and have the warrenty work completed. :)
but...campigworld said no, since they did not sell heartland at this location they would not do the work :(
so we called our dealer (we wanted to use, campingworld because they are here in town and our dealer is a two hour drive for us.)
rv outlet usa in ringgold, va said, of course they can do the work :) -
but they are booked solid until june 1 :(
so that's what we will be doing. we will go camping and use the hand crank and the slide works fine.
i'm guessing that this will be ok with the heartland warrenty folks.

so that's it for now. will write again when we have more to report. thanks for all the suggestions.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Do you have another RV dealership close to you that is willing to work on your RV? If so you can get with Heartland Customer service and they can authorize a non-Heartland dealer to do the warranty work. Coordinate this with Customer Service and the servicing dealer.

jpmorgan37

Jim;

Are there any mobile RV repair people around you? Check with any local RV parks to see if they know and try that route with Heartland and the mobile repair person, if you find one. Just and idea instead of waiting a month.

John

Jim & Harriet

slide problem

gus - we tried the wire-wiggle, no luck.

jmg & jp - we have local dealers, but we will wait until june for the heartland professionals (at least while we are under warrenty.) as it turns out, because of other family "stuff" we probably won't be camping again until mid-june.
we may go try to fit in one short trip in may, but we can just use the turn-the-crank method for that one.

happy travels to all...:)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
gus - we tried the wire-wiggle, no luck.

jmg & jp - we have local dealers, but we will wait until june for the heartland professionals (at least while we are under warrenty.) as it turns out, because of other family "stuff" we probably won't be camping again until mid-june.
we may go try to fit in one short trip in may, but we can just use the turn-the-crank method for that one.

happy travels to all...:)

I'm thinking this is a motor problem, or wiring to motor. Hope you get it resolved soon. See you in September, if not sooner.

Gus

Jim & Harriet

rest of the story

on June 1st we took our 2009 Sundance 3300 sk to Ringgold, VA. the "RV-outlet" dealership (where we purchased in Nov. 2008) was very busy (we had actually called them in May, but they could not fix our non-working slide until this month.)

on June 6th we brought the Sundance home ... all fixed! it was just a loose wire (they replaced it with a new one) and also fixed a piece of door molding that had become loose and re-caulked the shower (just a bit of water seepage.)

everyone there was very nice and took good care of us.

what was most amazing to me was that when we arrived, the parking lot was full of folks wanting to buy rv's! in all the times we had been to the dealer while searching for what we wanted there may have been two or three other folks there. this time there had to be at least a dozen cars! from virginia, north carolina and west virginia! this is a good thing!

we looked at some 2010 sundances - just to see what had changed. two things we may add are the plexiglass sliding covers on the inside door (that opens to unlock the outside door latch.) it is much more sturdy than what we have. also, they have added some trim molding to the front of the sink cabinet (where there is just a space cover.)

i did like the new "wood" pannel behind the bed and the cabinet with the shelves that is now next to the sliding mirror door. but i much prefer the bedroom tv cabinet that we have in the 2009. ;)

hope to be back on the road real soon

fndrbndr

Be happy that you can open it manually. When they built ours they put the step brackets over the hole. Have tried to get an answer from someone about this and they just ignore me.

Jim & Harriet

slide problem

sorry to hear you are having a problem.
our issue was with the living room slide. the manual crank access for our 2009 3300sk is above and between the wheels. and is quite easy to reach.

is your crank rod just not long enough to extend beneath the steps? or does the metal bracket cover-up the crank access? if you have the right tools (drill, etc.) you might be able to drill through the step bracket to access the crank fitting.

i am surprised you have not had an answer from the heartland folks - have you called them or just used this forum?

Last edited: