hot lights

Jim & Harriet

the two over bed "reading" lights on our 2009 sundance 3300sk get very, very warm = hot to the touch. is this "normal?"

Niles

I'm sure this is not the answer you want, but yes they do. We also had them in our previous toyhauler and they got hot too. Same light, we have some friends that have a Montana and they have them over their couch, they get hot also. I guess it's not a real issue, as so many of them are in various campers.

jpmorgan37

Jim & Harriet;

You will find that any of your lights that have halogen bulbs will generate a fair amount of heat. I can almost get a suntan from the bulbs in my ceiling fan.

John

wdk450

Hot Lights

Sirs:
Would LED light substitutes work in this application? They run much cooler and are much more energy efficient.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Jim,

Those lights work great for keeping the midnight snacks warm!:D I suspect they would also take the chill off on a cool morning without turning on the furnace (that really used to work in my boat - we had about 10 of these lights and they would heat up the cabin:eek:.)

Gus

Jim & Harriet

i think these light are great in many situations. i just don't think we need all that much light (and heat) as overbed "reading lights."
does anyone know if they can be replaced with a different type bulb?:confused:

jpmorgan37

Jim;

I have changed a couple of mine to different wattage, but haven't tried to change the type of bulb. You would probably have to change the entire socket. You might be able to do that without changing the fixture. Just a guess.

John

Jim & Harriet

we will look at lower wattage bulbs. are they pretty standard as far as sizes available? i have no ide what watt we have - say that 3 times fast :)
thanks for the suggestion.